Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 7:02:16 PM EDT
Man, I went to the range today and there was this group of like 5 guys down there with everything. I mean they had AR, AKs, shotguns, what looked liked an UZI and about 6 handguns and they were going bananas. It was sunny and about 82 degrees. Fine, no problem.

BUT THEY WERE DRINKING AND FIRING WHEN THE LINE WAS NOT CLEAR AND were VERY BILIGERENT. THEY WERE SHOOTING AT BIRDS FLYING OVERHEAD and SHOOTING AT OTHER PEOPLE's TARGETS. They totally ruined many other people's day. This was all on state property since GA DNR has some nice free ranges. They are going to cause us to lose range priviledges. I wish a game warden would have come. I left when they started with the racial slurs. I was expecting my car to be shot at as I drive away. I hate days like this. I did not fire one shot today.  

I'm a newbie and I've only made friends at the range til now. Range people have this cool thing where everyone kinda has something in common. People offer to let you shot their firearms.  I had tricked myself into forgeting how some people REALLY are around here.  

72 mile round trip ro range. What a fucking waste today.  Rant over.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If assholes could fly, it sounds like that range would be a damn airport!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry to hear about your bad experience.i like to drink and i like to shoot,but i almost never combine the two.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad I've never had any problems like that at the range i frequent.

It truly is too bad that a few good 'ole boys can have such an impact on not only everybody's day at the range, but also on the impressions non-firearm owning people form of those of us who responsibly take advantage of our beloved 2nd amendment freedoms.

I hope next time you make the trek out there you won't be joined by hte same old garbage...
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to tell a ranger anyways.  That way the range will be patrolled more often.  Give descriptions if you can.  Keep the TRASH AWAY FROM THE RANGE.  

Ben
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You need to tell a ranger anyways.  That way the range will be patrolled more often.  Give descriptions if you can.  Keep the TRASH AWAY FROM THE RANGE.  

Ben
View Quote

Gotta agree here.  It was morons like this that almost got the Camp Atterbury range near Indianapolis shut down, and got it tons of restrictions now!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The world is full of morons.

Be glad you got out in one piece & definitely file a report with an official...this may help someone else from getting hurt/killed by these idiots!!

If you got their license plate number(s) I would report them to the authorities...you may be saving lives by doing so.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What range?  Please don't tell me redlands...  But it wouldn't surprise me.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
... this reminded me of a day years ago when I went out to the "pit" to shoot.
Got there and there was a low-rider full of Mexicans shooting some cactus (big no-no here) Not only that but they were all drinking Bud.

It's not of my usual character to "narc" on anyone but I split quickly and found an MCSO Blazer down by the Salt River and reported the incident.

I'll never forget what the LEO said:

(BIG grin)
[i]"Well, we can't have that can we?"[/i]

After which, he popped her into drive and spun out post haste in the direction of the perps.

... yeah baby!

(spl)
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Had the same problem at the South Mountain range last week. A Maricopa Sherriff was threatening the range master with an ass beating for commencing firing during a service rifle match without allowing 3 minutes to study the target. The range master was 83.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I served as an RSO for several years.  When you are shooting at an unsupervised "range" and somebody gets rowdy or is shooting unsafely, pack your things and leave.  Staying alive should be your number one priority.  Then contact whatever jurisdiction the range is in, the local sheriff, the rangers, or the police, and tell them what happened.  Try to remember as much as possible about the bad guys especially license plate numbers, descriptions of shooter/drinkers etc.  Maybe...just maybe, these jerks are also operating outside the law in other ways too and can be put away.
Whatever you do...don't confront a drunk with a firearm.
Keep your cool and shoot safely.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I went yesterday and was shooting at IDPA plates and this big 400 pound fatass (driving a little beercan jap car of course) comes up right next to me starts shooting the opponent plates to mine, even thought there were 2 other complete pits he could have used by himself. anyway I keep hearing this pop ZIIINNGGG...pop ZIIINNG..no plates dropping I look over and hes got one of those little bitty beretta tomcat or bobcat whatever thy're called 22 pistols, I'm like "uhh...dude...NO" he says Oh I do it all the time, it won't drop the plates but I can tell by the sound that I've hit them. I explain to him what that sound is and he gives me a look like "you dumbass" and taps his safety glasses 3 times with his finger as if telling me "duh It's fine to ricochet bullets everywhere since I've got goggles on", I got the hell out and went over to hipower rifle for a while didn't even want to use one of the empty pits. Why do shooting sports attract dumbasses like this? you see them all the time at the gunshow people you wouldn't trust to pump your gas with an armload of rifles and another armload of naked diapered dirty little sh!t kids and a big turkey leg hanging out of their mouth. I'm pretty sure he had a mensa bumper sticker too.[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep a cheap mcamcorder on you and RECORD it for the record next time. I would.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]
thus the reason I no longer go to public ranges.  last time I went to one there were about 8 kids there I don't think they were even out of high school had a Glock ( what it looked like from the other end of the line) trying to skip rocks across the ground, they must have went through about 3 boxes of 9mm the first 15 min they were there.  I didn't hang out much longer.   Many times I went down there and was working on a nice group and some @$$hole starts walking down range... talk about f-ing up your concentration.  Its worth the extra 10 min drive, $50 a year and 2 workdays, we have about 80 members and I haven't seen 70 of them any time other than at matches.

Here is a pic of the place I call my second home
[url]http://home.epix.net/~bmeier/club2.jpg[/url]

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Bob243: WOW! That's a nice range! Wish we had something like that out here...

What's the maximum range there?

Av.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its worth the extra 10 min drive, $50 a year and 2 workdays, we have about 80 members and I haven't seen 70 of them any time other than at matches.

View Quote

Bob243 - Where is that range?  Do they allow full auto?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bob243: WOW! That's a nice range! Wish we had something like that out here...

What's the maximum range there?

Av.
View Quote

300 yards..  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its worth the extra 10 min drive, $50 a year and 2 workdays, we have about 80 members and I haven't seen 70 of them any time other than at matches.

View Quote

Bob243 - Where is that range?  Do they allow full auto?
View Quote

Unfortinately no.... Someone ruined that about 15 years ago.

NE-PA, we have 200yard SR matches there every month.

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Bob -

How far north?  More than an hour up the NE Extention?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bob -

How far north?  More than an hour up the NE Extention?
View Quote

about 20 minutes from the Susquhanna Nuke Power Plant,

from NE extension would be exit 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top