Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 4:05:53 PM EDT
saw some at a gunshow today. damn are they small.

i loved the MK9 w/grip extension.  could carry it in anything, anytime

opinions from those who have em?

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone have experience with the REALLY small ones?  do they make a MK40 or just the 9mm?

is it true you cannot use reloads because of the really tight chamber?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Kahr is still owned by Sun Yung Moon and the Moonies I think.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sold a K40. I sold it because it was heavier than my Glock 23. The Kahr had a long and heavy, but smooth trigger. It was very accurate. I did like it alot. I did not shoot handloads in it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
They do make a MK40. P40 and P9 which are polymer versions fo the K40/9 and polymer covert models (same upper as P40/9 but MK9/40 grip length).
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahr makes a decent pistol.  Still, I think one can find a equal quality or better pistol in the same price range without contributing to the Unification Church.  

"Do what you will,
just remember that the Moonies are some wierd folks."
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife got one of the first Kahrs that were made, the standard K9.  We later sent it in for a trigger job and to have the springs replaced to the LadyKahr weights.

It feels heavy for it's small size.  Weighs close to that of my loaded Glock 19.  However, it's a little dream to shoot.  My wife is a great shot with it.  The blue finish is not very durable, so keep it clean.  I've considered getting a RoGuard finish on it.

is it true you cannot use reloads because of the really tight chamber?
View Quote

The first Kahrs were chambered to "exacting" specifications.  My wife's is one of these.  

With some reloads or even some imports, the cartridge can get stuck.  I didn't realize this at first, and one of the first days at the range I had some Chinese 9mm ammo that I got a great deal on and was running it through the Kahr.  Most of it when fine, but then one round which was a bit wider than the others jammed in the chamber [b]very[/b] tightly.  The range officer and I tried for about 15 minutes just to free the slide.  It would not move back at all and I couldn't seem to put it fully into battery.  Then finally I gave it a firm shove to fully chamber the round and then fired it downrange.

Since then it's been quality ammo and not a single stoppage to date.  When we bought the Kahr, the factory said it would take +P ammo, but when we had the LadyKahr spring set installed, they recommended only standard pressure ammo.  Which is fine for my wife.  She's carried Hydrashoks in it since day one.

After that first run of Kahr's, supposedly the factory "loosened" up the chamber to accepted a wider range of cartridges that weren't exactly at spec.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a K9 that I've carried almost daily since buying it 4 years ago.  Other than some wear on the front of the slide from the holster, the gun is still in great shape.

I have had feeding problems with reloads I tried to use for training, but it has been flawless with factory hollow points (Hydroshocks) which is what I keep in it.  It is the most reliable autoloader I've owned.  From what I've heard the MK's live up to their bigger brothers reliability.  

I would buy one again in a minute, and argue there is not a similar alternative.  The micro Glocks are probably as reliable and accurate, but are significantly thicker and IMO the Khar's ergonomics are far superior.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kahr is still owned by Sun Yung Moon and the Moonies I think.
View Quote

No, Kahr is owned by Justin Moon, Sun Yung Moon's youngest son.  The Unification Church claims it has no control over the business, but what control Sun Yung Moon has over Kahr's business remains to be seen.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
SkaerE -

My P9 is STILL for sale.

Only reason I'm selling it is because I've found something I want MORE.

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever your personal feelings might be about the Unification Church, Kahr's pistols are excellent.  The P9 I bought kind of on a whim is one of the best out of the box handguns I've ever owned.  It feeds everything including Cor-bon 115-grain +P without a hitch, and is more accurate at 25 yards than any Glock 9mm I've owned or fired.  The polymer version is the way to go- it's not that much bigger than the MK series, but it has enough grip to shoot very comfortably and is very light.  A 7-shot 9mm subcompact isn't my first choice for a primary carry gun, but it makes a great backup gun when I'm in uniform, or for when I just don't want to carry anything bigger.  Combine it with a Milt Sparks Watch-Six holster and I've got a package I can easily carry in shorts and a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Range Report

Just received my new Kahr P40 covert.  It has a full length slide (3.5") and shortened grip. (5+1).

Day one.  Went to the range with 200 reloads and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 165gr.  While it did not like my round nose reloads, it fed all of the GS perfectly.  The instruction book stated that there is a break in period of 200 rounds and the gun should not be considered reliable until then.  I was surprised to see the warning as I have never heard of a gun that needed a break in period.  I assume that it is because the frame is polymer, and unlike the Glocks, the slide runs along the frame without any imbedded metal in the frame.  I found the 2 finger grip of the shortened grip a little hard to handle with fast shooting, but found the grip with the extended mag to be fine.   I have ordered an "Agrip" (spongy rubber) to enhance the shortened grip and expect that to solve the issue.

I found the trigger to be very smooth as per Kahr normal, however, I detected a slight snap at the end that I did not feel on their full steel guns when dry firing.  I found the trigger to be much better than other double action autos such as the SIGs, Walthers, and HKs.  Just last week, I fired the Walther P99 in .40 and found it quite snappy and difficult to follow up on fast firing.  The small Kahr was much easier in recovery than the much larger Walther.

Day two.  Cleaned the Kahr and headed out to the range with 100 hollowponts, 100 jacketed and another 35 rounds of Remington GS.  The gun fed everything I fed it with one exception.  I had one failure to feed at about 200.  Re racked the slide, and fed it the last of my rounds with no problem.  It fed the 35 GS after feeding the other 200.  The one failure to feed may have been because it was so dirty.  I don't think a small polymer gun was designed to, nor made to, feed the large amount of ammo over the short amount of time that I did.

Conclusion.  Found the gun to be highly accurate.  The max distance so far was about 25-30 feet and I was able to shoot one inch groups.  Reliability was excellent especially considering that the test was the break in.  Would I depend on it the protect my life?… yes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
 I own the MK9 . It is my fav carry pistle .
Small , accurate , and reliable . Everything
a carry gun shoould be .
 The only thing that would make it better is if it had a second strike trigger pull instead of manually having to recock in case of a misfire .
 It is a little heavy but this is kind of good to off set the recoil from such a short barrel .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top