Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 1:20:14 PM EDT
I miss having a truck.
But now I have a 2year old and another baby on the way.
I'm thinking about getting a used King cab Ranger or F-150.
We have a family car, but every now and them, I need to transports the kids, How well do baby seats fit into a extended cab pick-up?
Thanks
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Derek45,

Stay away from a Ranger or any other compact with side facing seats.  It is unlawful and dangerous to place baby seats in that position.  The smallest truck that baby seats fit in is a Toyota Tacoma as they have forward facing seats.  Do yourself a favor however, and get something with rear doors.  As a father of two tricycle motors in car seats I can tell you that it is a real PITA without them.  The current generation of F-150 is actually quite roomy back there.  I have ridden in the back with both car seats in.  It's no Caddy, but not objectionable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a F-150 right now with the 4 door, I also have a 16 month old son who loves riding in the truck. If I was you I'd got for the F-150 crew cab (They did not have them when I bought mine.)Or at lest one that has 4 doors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 98 GMC Sierra Ext Cab(2 door).  I can get the baby seat in the back but it has to go on the passenger side as I am long legged and it is very uncomfortable with my seat slid up.  Even if the baby seat is in the middle my seat still has to go up.  I think the newer(2000 and newer) trucks have a slightly larger backseat area.  I am thinking about getting a new truck and I am going to take the car seat with me when I look and "test fit" it in the new truck before I buy.  We have a 2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab(4 door) at work and that thing is huge in the backseat area.  Three normal sized adults can fit in the back seat of it comfortably.

BTW, congrats on the new baby!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
How about that New Explorer? Looks like a good compromise between a Pick-up and a SUV.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It seems like everyboody's making a 4 door truck now, but I'm looking for a used truck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Being a new grandfather of about 3 weeks i must put in my 2 cents worth....my daughter has a chevy z71 extended cab (you know the one it only has a small back door on one side)...they bought a Graco carrier that has a base that you leave in the vehicle and a carrier that snaps in and out...they bought an extra base and leave on in each vehicle so all they have to do is drop the carrier in and go....she says it works great in their Z71.....Dick (Proud grandfather)
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 88 F250 extended cab, 8' bed and that was more than roomy enough. Full bench seat in the back. Would have easily seated six, BUT my wife didn't want to drive something that big. It only had 48,000 miles when I sold it in 93. Damn I miss that truck.

Shop around and get a full sized extended cab.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a new Ranger 4x4 extra cab with the two little jump seats.  I also have two grandchildren who live with us.  When they ride with me, the five year old rides in the jump seat and her two year old brother sits in front in his car seat...but ONLY AFTER I disable the airbag.  That is about all I can carry with any semblance of comfort.
Recommend the bigger truck for hauling crumb-crunchers around.  Go for the multiple doors and regular seats...if you can possibly swing it.  They are more expensive...but worth it.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
btt
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Ranger XLT.  My boys seat is a front facing seat.  I turn off the passenger air bag.  And off we go!

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2000 F-150 extra cab it has the 4 doors. I also have a 6yr old and a 3yr old. There is plenty of room back there for them. The car seat will fit just fine and there should be no problem. The one thing I like is that I can turn off the air bag in front.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Got to drive one of these [:D]
[img]http://www.4adodge.com/PriceEquip/img/us/exteriors/dodge/2002/dr6l42_2th_pr4_apa_xxx_xxx.jpg[/img]

My friend has an F150 with the extra cab, and those small doors to get into the back, and they run with two baby seats.  They like it, and it works great.

Ice
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my F150 SuperCrew.
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~joeloftus/shared/hulk1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Ford has the worst crash test rating of all trucks. Get a toyota ex cab and stay alive.

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ford has the worst crash test rating of all trucks. Get a toyota ex cab and stay alive.

Guncrazy223
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Toyota does not make full sized pick-ups.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#18]
What is the matter with youz guyz?  Kidz ride in the bed!

Just kidding.  Times have changed since I was a tot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guncrazy223
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Toyota does not make full sized pick-ups.
View Quote

GunCrazy,

I don't know where you found that crash rating info, but take a look at nhtsa.gov.  I am looking at it right now for the 2001 models.  The Ranger is rated 4 star for driver, passenger and side impact. The Tacoma hits 3, 4, and 3 respectively.  The F-150 gets the highest rating, 5 stars in all categories.  Ford Motor Company currently is the safety leader in nearly every class of automobile available.  Don't take my word for it - check out nhtsa and call your insurance company.

Toyota builds a good truck, just not as safe as the Fords.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW- it appears that the S-10 series of Truck is the crappiest in the crash testing
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude there are 3 organizations that can't decide on crash test standards.  

As to Toyota not making fullsize pickups, they say they do, but if you pull up in a GMC, it still looks smaller.

Ice
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dude there are 3 organizations that can't decide on crash test standards.  

Ice
View Quote

Fair enough,

I just checked the IIHS site, and they incidentally rate the Tundra better than the F-150.  I stand corrected.  As I understand crash testing, the IIHS offset frontal test is more representative of actual casualties.

In the same set of tests, Ranger appears to beat Tacoma.  I would compare insurance rates for all vehicles considered.  The cheaper to insure, the more likely the vehicle sustains less damage in collision.

Thanks!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top