Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2001 11:34:06 AM EDT
This is just plain stupid. How in the hell can the Army even consider listening to these same idiots who think that guns hold 30000 rounds and bullets make people fly through the air. Not to mention they blame everything on the NRA and gun owners.

[url]www.ocregister.com/breakingnews/attack/10102001/10hollywoodcci.shtml[/url]

Hollywood helps Army with terror scenarios
USC has assembled a team that brainstorms attack plots.

October 10, 2001

By ROBERT JABLOM
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Some of the filmmakers who craft tales of violence and terrorism for Hollywood are helping the U.S. Army prepare for possible future terrorist attacks.

A group was assembled through the Institute for Creative Technologies, a University of Southern California think tank that works on virtual training programs for the Army.

"In the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, the Army and USC's ICT have worked together to coordinate ongoing panel discussions with some of Hollywood's top talent," the center said in a statement Tuesday. The group will brainstorm possible terrorist plots against American targets.

The Army declined to provide specifics about the work or to name members of the group. But one official confirmed a report in the entertainment trade paper Daily Variety that participants included "Die Hard" screenwriter Steven E. De Souza, television writer David Engelbach ("MacGyver") and movie director Joseph Zito, whose credits include "Delta Force One," "Invasion U.S.A." and "Missing in Action."

Also joining the panel were directors Spike Jonze ("Being John Malkovich"), David Fincher ("Fight Club," "Seven"), Randal Kleiser ("Grease," "Honey, I Blew Up the Kids") and Mary Lambert ("The In Crowd"), as well as screenwriters Paul De Meo and Danny Bilson ("The Rocketeer.")

The military has a long history of working with filmmakers, said Michael Macedonia, chief scientist for the Army's Simulation, Training and Instrumentation Command, based in Orlando, Fla.

"You're talking (about) screenwriters and producers, that's one of the things that they're paid to do every day - speculate," he said. "These are very brilliant, creative people. They can come up with fascinating insights very quickly."

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
oh jeez, no more dutch reagen training films please!  j/k, those are some of the best....i was just being sarcy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
For the record, the Army never asked me for any tactical advice, though they did train me in tactics for several years.
Hollywood out.[chainsaw]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
When "brainstorming" you are prohibited from criticizing any idea, with the goal being to take in all ideas and accepting/rejecting them on their own merits, LATER, so as not to stifle an idea as its forming.  The goal is to take in everything and refine it later.  It is not stupid, it works.

PS:  I hate Hollywood. (the place, not the poster)  But I don't reject this approach to problem solving out of hand.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Please, somebody, tell me that John Milius was in attendence!

Dave
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
And maybe R.Lee Ermey (sp) & Dale Dye...
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
.....And whatever you do, please [b]don't [/b] tell me that Rob Reiner and/or Woody Allen [b]did[/b] attend!

Dave
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.....And whatever you do, please [b]don't [/b] tell me that Rob Reiner and/or Woody Allen [b]did[/b] attend!

Dave
View Quote

Reiner was too busy eating, and Allen was committing incest.

BTW, I saw a pollster on MSNBC the other night. He said the only place in the country that wasn't blatantly showing patriotism was Hollywood. Bastards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top