Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/12/2001 12:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2001 12:52:50 PM EDT by Chimborazo]
I have a 70lb mut who is about 9 months old. When we found him, he was about 5 months, covered in ticks, worm infested, and VERY ill. After a lot of treatment with IV's and antibiotics, etc., his poop finally became somewhat normal. I emphasize "somewhat". His first poop of the day (he is a highly refined poop manufacturing facility) is usually solid and normal. However, after that each one is like softserve, and it seems like he has trouble getting it out sometimes. This will happen four or five times every evening when I let him out. Also, it doesn't seem to be urgent. I have tried the Eukanuba for large breed puppies, Iams (he hated it), and I have also tried two different all naturals by NUTRO. One was Lamb (for puppies) and one was Chicken (for large breed puppies)... Any suggestions? Does he just have a sensitive stomach?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chimborazo Edited to add that he does not have worms, and that his poop is almost always really soft, except that first one of the day. Here is a pic of him (when we first got him): [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Chimborazo%2F013%5F15%2EJPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:49:55 PM EDT
My wife is a liscensed Vet Tech. When she get's home tonight I'll have her respond to your post. idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:52:42 PM EDT
I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but I do have a few dogs and doctor them on occasion (under supervision of the vet, of course). I assume his stool has been verified worm-free by your vet, hasn't it? Aside from that, it's been my experience with the dogs I've had that some do have sensitive stomachs and other dietary/digestive anomalies. Just experiment a little with the foods, but remember that canine dietary changes can also cause some of the things your dog is experiencing. BTW, my dogs (a treeing walker and an akita-shepherd mix) sometimes go through spells of the oddball stool like you've seen. They can occasionally pick up bacteria via eating feces and other means of ingestion (you don't really want to hear about that). As long as they're remaining regular, aren't experiencing weight loss, and are comfortable, don't get too worried.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:53:25 PM EDT
P.S. Nice looking dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:59:46 PM EDT
Oh yeah, you may try giving him a dose of acidophilus. Sometimes that will get their digestive system into better harmony. Available at pet stores and veterinary supply houses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:59:59 PM EDT
No worms. Also, when should he be eating adult food? Should I even be bothering with these expensive health foods? Thanks for your responses so far. Chimborazo
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:00:31 PM EDT
One of the problems with dogs and with humans, for that matter, is that when the stomach gets inflammed and we get diareah (sp), we need to allow the stomach to settle b4 feeding it a lot of food. It sounds like you puppy may have a slight case of diareah and you are not giving his stomach a chance to heel. One of the best treatments for diareah is sweet potato and white rice. Allow him to miss a meal or two and then put him on the sweet potato and white rice for 2-3 days. You will have to cook it on the stove and allow it to cool down first. Then slowly mix in the dry food and wean out the sweet potato and white rice. This should alleviate the problem and get his stool back to normal. As long as the you are not seeing blood in the stool you should be ok. It could also be real runny, watery, and brown and be as problem as well. If it does not get better within 2 days, have him looked at by the vet. Justice_Keeper
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:00:40 PM EDT
My current inventory is six dogs. (5 are strays/throwaways) I've never had good results with the highend food. They either hate it or have weird and/or problem poo-poo's. I use Purina Little Bites. Everybody likes it, coats look great and don't smell, poo-poo's look text book. Dogs range from 8lbs to 140lbs. Age 2 to 12. The cats even like it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2001 12:58:05 PM EDT by Chimborazo]
I wouldn't say it's diarhea, it's more like soft serve. BTW, does anybody else enjoy saying "poop" as much as I do?[;)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:06:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chimborazo: No worms. Also, when should he be eating adult food? Should I even be bothering with these expensive health foods? Thanks for your responses so far. Chimborazo
View Quote
He should not be eating adult food until after he turns 1 year old. Puppies need the extra nutrients and fat in puppy food for their fast growing bodies and playful spirits. The better the food the better the coat, stool, and attitude. Pedigree is a good brand that is not that expensive. You could also subsitute with fresh products like eggs, lard, and throwing a little scraps in the bowl every now and then. Not too much though that he starts eating nothing but the scraps. The best diet for dogs, believe it or not, is a raw diet. You won't believe what goes into making the kibble. But the little guy will grow up to be healthy and strong regardless what brand you feed it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:09:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chimborazo: I wouldn't say it's diarhea, it's more like soft serve. BTW, does anybody else enjoy saying "poop" as much as I do?[;)]
View Quote
I would still try feeding the rice and sweet potato w/o the kibble for a couple of days just to give his stomach a break from all that he has been through.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2001 1:08:45 PM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
I'll have to second what [b]Noname[/b] said about the food. Never had consistently good results with Eukanuba or the like. Plain old Purina Dog Chow at $16 for a 50 lb bag has served me and mine well. Good coats, healthy skin, plenty of energy, etc. On the subject of adult and puppy food. When the time comes, you may start easing him into it by mixing or rotating his meals until he's shifted over or out of puppy food. Try [b]Justice_Keeper[/b]'s idea, too. It'll probably help to get some starches in his belly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 2:26:40 PM EDT
Does it mean anything that he also almost constantly chew on leaves (both live and fallen)? He's not a big chewer, but he will lay in to a rawhide bone and chew toys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2001 3:16:23 PM EDT by yobo]
My father is a retired vet who used to raise and train hunting dogs as hobbie and I always raised dogs since I was young so I have some experience with them. Best thing for dog's digestion and bowel movement is consistancy. Feed him same food (brand type) every day at same time of day and walk him or let him out same time everyday. Do not leave food for him to eat at his pleasure. He should only eat what he can finish in 10 minutes or less. How often do you feed your dog and at what time of the day? 9 month old should be fed 2 or 3 time per day and about same time of day every day. After they are over 12-14 months you can go to 1 or 2 times per day. Usually dog will poop once a day if you feed him once per day or twice if you feed it twice. Usually about 8-10 hours after you feed him. Does he have water at night and do you know if he is drinking at night? Don't change the dog food type often. Dogs stomach usually take about 7-10 days to get used to a particular brand/type. Until their stomach gets used to a particular brand/type food they will usually have some problems. Also, they usually get a lot of foul smelling gas if they are having problem digesting food. Never give human food or milk or milk products to your dog. Chocolate and salty food is worst. Is your dog just chewing on those leaves or is he swallowing them? If he is just chewing on them thats normal but if he is swallowing them that usually means he has stomach ache. Premium brand dog food is good if you keep your dog inside as they produce much less poop than "normal" dog food so they only go once a day. They also require more water for the dog to digest. He should eat "puppy" food until he is 12-14 months old. When its time to switch to adult formula mix a little of adult dog food to the puppy food and increase the percentage of adult dog food each day. It should take 2 weeks or more to go 100% adult formula. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions post here and I'll let you know or I'll ask my dad. Nice looking dog. My wife and I currently have 3 dogs and they were all throw-aways. Love them all like my own babies. edited to add that I personally think ONE brand dog food is best premium brand and cost effective. Other premium brands seem to have way too much animal fat for some dogs to digest.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 2:24:35 PM EDT
Ok, this is Mrs. Idaho-AR15. I just briefly read the replies, so if I am repeating something, I apologise. First, I am not a fan of the Eukanuba/Iams. Since Proctor & Gamble took them over, it seems more and more dogs have had digestive problems with them. They say the ingredients haven't changed, but SOMETHING is different. It does sound like you've changed foods a lot. That can upset his stomach. I really like the Science Diet, Nutro, and Diamond brand foods. They seem to do a very good job. The old saying is true, you get what you pay for. The more expensive foods do have better nutritional value. He should be on a puppy food until he is done growing. - for a large dog like him, maybe 18 months? You can give a dog pepto, kaopectate, Milk of Magnesia, Immodium AD, etc. If anything, it's worth a try. Dose it as you would for a human his weight. This may only be a temporary fix, though. Another thought is that since he was on a lot of antibiotics, the flora in his gut may be out of kilter. You might try some **live culture** yogurt. He may be midly allergic to an ingredient in his dog food, such as the grain in it. Even though lamb & rice foods are meant to help with this, they usually contain a bit of corn product, which can cause diarrhea problems in dogs that are sensitive. Our Rescue Siberian seems to have a similar problem, but his seems to be a low resistance to infection, so every once in a while he needs some antibiotics. Those are a few things I can think of, perhaps one rings a bell. The standard doggie home remedy for diarrhea is to withhold food for 24 hours then feed a mild blend of cooked hamburger (drained & rinsed) and rice. Only feed about a cup at first, every 2 hours for a day then slowly add his regular food. Sometimes this helps w/ acute diarrhea, but it may be worth a try on this chronic problem.
Top Top