Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 7:33:46 PM EDT
According to the terrorism bill passed today, airline pilots with training will be able to carry weapons in the cockpit.  I would think it will probably be something like concealed carry where it's optional and you go through some type of training.  Also federalizing inspectors, reinforced cockpit doors, air marshals...
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Chock 1 up for the good guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't that have to pass the House.  I thought that just passed the Senate.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You might have a point.  But generally I think the House is going to be even more conservative than the Democrat controlled Senate so I don't think there will be any problems there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well....based on that, I'll just think about flying again.  Could it be that some common sense actually is coming out of Washington.
Hard to believe!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Congressional members may be feeling like sitting ducks up there in DC so maybe they will pass just about anything to keep the "guided missles" out of their laps!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't it all ready legal for them to do so providing they had airline approved training? I can't remember if I read this somewhere or it was just something I heard...help me out here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope that is right!  I'm sorry, I just don't believe it yet. Although I hope you are right.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Now how about a national carry permit for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As a B757/767 Captain for a national carrier, I have mixed feelings on it.  Not from the legal or pro-gun stanpoint, but from an operational standpoint.  The cockpit is a pretty confined little area. (trust me I spend a LOT of time there!)  It would require more that just popping off a few rounds at a ISPC target to get prepared for it.  For me, it would require training weak-hand and in a awkward position.  There just aint much room to move up there strapped into a 6g seat.  Give me a REAL door made of REAL materials, an O2 bottle I can use after I depressurize the cabin so I can go into the cabin and put the crash axe through the bad guy head......while he's hypoxic of course!!

But then again, it would give me another excuse to get another gun!!!!  [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top