Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 3:27:52 PM EDT
I was browsing in Jane's Infantry Weapons 2002 today and noticed that the effective range for the Russian AN-94 (assault rifle with 1,800 rds per minute for first two rounds capability) is listed as follows:

Iron sights:  700 meters
Optical signts: 1,000 meters

Is the 5.45x39 cartridge that accurate or is someone being a bit optimistic??
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The AN-94 have some weird kind of iron site I think, and those russian bastards have good eyes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have to group a heck of a lot better than an AK or SKS to be "effective" at 700 meters.  This claim is bunk until an American shooter duplicates this performance over here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the gun mags just had a article on the AN-94, Combat Arms I think, Its still on the shelf.Really different rifle ! The effective range of the M16A2 5.56 is only 800M .
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
my understanding of "effective range" is that it has nothing to do with range or accuracy but with lethality. The 5.56mm for instance will tumble and fracture at less than 150-200 meters depending on the round because of its energy at that range. Beyond that they will penetrate but do not have sufficient energy to do as noted above. The 5.45x39 has a small airspace in the tip of the round which would, I expect, increase its effective range.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
From everything that I've seen or read about the AN-94 demonstrates that it's not necessarily better because of the ammo, but because of it's inovative new loading and cycling design. The video demo that I saw on the History Channel showed a guy letting loose in full auto. The rifle did not even move. The barrel just "reciprocated" back and forth. The AN uses a unique combo gas/recoil system where the whole barrel absorbs part of the force moving rearward cycling the next round. The unique AN muzzle brake removes whatever residual recoil is left over.

The cyclic rate of the AN-94 can be adjusted too. 750-800 rpm to 1200+ rpm. The beauty of the design is that a round is loaded at the same time one is ejected. So in one cycle, you get two shots.

As for the wierd sights, I've never tried it but it reminds me a little of the HK sight. It is star shaped, and you turn it like the HK tube sight to change the elevation.

I heard that it is not cheap like the AK. The Russians can't find anyone that can afford it. If only the US gov would pull their heads out of their ass, they would find a huge market here. I don't like AK's one bit but I would buy an AN-94 in a micro-second.

"meant to write AN m-brake"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top