Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 9:33:15 AM EDT
i would like to buy a knife. not a folder but a bigger knife. i've heard k-bars are pretty good but i've never knowingly seen one.

are the just the generic hunting knife? like the knives in scream and slasher flicks?

i'm not looking to drop a gob of coin, but i'll pay for quality. i payed $200 for a pair of boots.

you pics, recomadation, comments, stories etc. please

thank you
OffRoad

p.s. before you say just search the net, i did and couldn't find anything.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i'll pay for quality. i payed $200 for a pair of boots.

View Quote

I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to post, but that quote is destined to become a classic...

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
A $50 K bar will not go with those $200 boots, I sugest a Randle. If you can't find a picture of a K bar on the net your not looking very hard.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A $50 K bar will not go with those $200 boots, I sugest a Randle. If you can't find a picture of a K bar on the net your not looking very hard.
View Quote

You could also go with a less well-known maker, quality is just as good (and in some cases better). Price is less, for example the cable damascus fighting knife I'm working on now would run about $300~$400.

Look at some of the Knife rags, go to a show.

I'd offer, but I am making 1 more before I leave at the end of the month (for a friend in SF that is heading East)

I'll post a pic or 2 when I can get ahold of a digital camera, I mostly make combat knives (and they do NOT generally look like others' designs).

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE![/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is the dearness only that gives everything value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price on its goods."   Thomas Paine.[/i]
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
For the very best in fixed blade knives or any type of knife, spear or sword, bar none
Go here:[url]http://www.coldsteel.com/[/url]

Lynn stands behind everything he sells, heck you can even sign up for a class to teach you how to use it.

I own lots of knives and alot of Cold Steels.
IMHO they are the pinnacle of steel.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my Ka-Bar in 1986 for $19.99 at TSC a farm supply store. I've butchered several deer with it and carried it for four years in the Marine Corps.

You will have a hard time finding an authentic Ka-Bar with the brown leather handle and parkerized blade, now. Current copies have an epoxy coated blade instead.

The USGI combat knife is a black handled Ka-Bar clone with a less refined blade.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Authentic Kabar

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:hb3QWoOz3b8:www.johnnyg.westhost.com/knife[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's some quality knives for ya.

[url]http://www.striderknives.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Epoxy coated current version:

[img]http://www.warsurplus.com/img/kabar.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing but nothing beats a Strider.  

I've owned Randalls, Emersons, Etc.. but none of them will handle day in and day out abuse like a Strider.

email vinnie at [email protected]
for his current inventory and prices.  

They are not cheap but will never fail.

[smoke]  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Bud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
i'll pay for quality. i payed $200 for a pair of boots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to post, but that quote is destined to become a classic...

===========================

i don't understand what you mean? do you consider that a lot? they had thinsulate and gore-tex they're prospectors. they're great.

have i made some kind of a faux-pas?? seriosly, if yourr trying to tell me something i'm not getting it.

oh well

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]
No faux pas, OffRoad.  Just my warped sense of humor.  [%|]

That line really struck me as funny for some reason.

Good luck on your quest.  [beer]

Bud
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll be wanting a REAL knife..like one of these...

[img]http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/images/largeviewww.jpg[/img]

For more info..click here:
[url]http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
my grandpa has a gurka knife that he got from a gurka in ww2. he said he's going to give it to me when he passes on but that won't be for a while.

I DON"T mean it that way...
he showed it to me, it was really cool and big.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
What do you want this for?  There’s nothing wrong with a larger knife.  However, for some uses a smaller, lighter knife makes more sense.

The solution, ultimately, is to have more than one.  The K-Bar is a good place to start.  

I don’t know if it’s still true, but Buck hunting knives (like you get at Wal-Mart) used to have a good reputation for a fairly inexpensive knife.  

To me Randall knives are like Colt AR-15’s – they’re classics but they’re overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Look at Busse Combat Knives www.bussecombat.com

I have several of these, they take more abuse than you can throw at them, and you can't beat the warrenty.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]www.mdenterprise.com[/url]  Mad Dog knives, the bad dog

[url]www.striderblades.com[/url] High Speed Knives for Hardcore Individuals, the wild guys.
(www.striderknives.com is down because they are swapping servers and updating the page, it was supposed to be up on the 8th but it won't be up for a couple days)

[url]www.chrisreeve.com[/url]  The gentleman that makes blades worth buying.

I will second TOPS knives, and you might want to look at Timberline's Specwar.

Look around and if you need a price give me a holler, I can find you a good dealer.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Govt.issue GERBER MARK I
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Hard to recommend a knife unless we know the  purpose of the knife.  

In most cases I see, people get/use knives that are too big for the purpose.  A sharp 2" drip point blade will make dressing a elk a lot easier than 7" Kabar.  For general purpose outdoors knife I like the Master Hunter by Coldsteel much better than some 9" beast some people carry.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Duh...nevermind. I should read the whole topic before I post. Don't mind me.

Don't mind paying? Ok, here you go!

[url]www.striderknives.com[/url]

C6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top