Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 6:27:50 AM EDT
Okay,  here is the situation.  You are at work and suddenly you here gunshots from down the hall and lots of screaming.  Someone who is very well armed, and possibly wearing armor protection has obviously gone postal and is shooting your fellow employees indiscriminately.  What do you do now?  How are you prepared for this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Head shot, from behind cover.

I'm prepared; I'm carrying, I know the layout of the entire building, I'm sure I can come up behind him, I have no problem shooting him/her in the back of the head.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not.  It would be a felony for me to bring any kind of weapon to work.  Policy is that we should lock the classroom door and hope for the best.  Thank the school boards and legislators that you helped elect for that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Given that we can't carry at work... I'd run like a chicken and get out of here!!!

Now... if I could be armed... yeah... headshot from behind cover.  I could make one within 25 yards pretty easy with my .45

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Anybody from work here?  Hope not....

I have my 38 with me at work and I have it with me as much as I possibly can...  it is against the "code of conduct" and I wouldn't want to think about the ramifiactions of being caught.  With that said, am I likely to get caught, NO.

Would I hesitate to terminate such a situation..... NOT A CHANCE..... I might not have been prepared on 9-11 but I sure as hell am prepared now!  After the fact, I would likely need to live some consequences for having broken the rules but if I saved a life in the process and they wish to fire me....  SCREW the job, I will find another!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't do a damn thing,most places will not let you be prepared.

But you could set off the fire alarm so ever one would run like hell.
Then maybe you could get at him.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
It would depend entirely on what department
said gunman was shooting up.  Given the right
department?

Walk outside and smoke a couple of cigarettes,
I imagine....
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Since this actually happened at my facility(MPO Atlanta) with 5 dead...

I would quickly exit off the west dock and loop behind the VMF(Vehicle Maintenance Facility)to the parking lot.  Laughing all the way, hoping my EEO supervisors would be in the line of fire.  Arriving at my car, I would exit the area, still laughing.[;)]

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
What, no one would call the police first?  Aren't they are first and best defense? [:\]

Seriously, if I could, I would call 911 first, and then attempt to stop the nut case, or at least protect some of my fellow empoyees with my "against company policy", but legally carried weapon.  The challenge here may be not being shot by the good guys when they arrive and see me armed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
'389 - You're [b]one[/b] of the meanest 2
people I know!

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I work on construction sites and I am always near my truck(with a loaded carbine behind the seat)si I guess I'd put the truck between the shooter and myself and pop his melon.
If I was in a structure like you are talking about I'd jump out the damned window and run up the side of the building to try and catch him before he got any further and take some good head shots from outside the building through the windows.I always have my glock on me and I always have a rifle in the truck.If I had nothing I'd just try to escape and if there was no possibilty of escape I'd try to hide behind something and ambush his ass from behind with my spyderco.Stick him in his  brains and neck with all of my might and hope I could keep his weapon hand pointed away from me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
'389 - You're [b]one[/b] of the meanest 2
people I know!

[:D]
View Quote

Working for USPS since 1988 will do that for you.[;)]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm with Malpaso.  Two years ago I bought a Sigarms P229 but soon realized it was too big to carry every day.  I'm only 5'7" and about 155 lbs.  Just over two weeks ago I purchased a Kahr P9 and have been carrying every day since then.

I hope I'm never faced with [b]any[/b] kind of situation where I would need a gun for defense.  But at least I will have the edge on survival over some low life gun control advocate.

Sig229
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...  But at least I will have the edge on survival over some low life gun control advocate.

Sig229
View Quote

Survival of the fittest?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
A responsible citizen would call 911. If you tried to do anything else you are just a cop basher and isolationist.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#16]
My workplace does not allow me to carry a firearm for my protection, so what I should do is just bug out and let the nut kill people (hopefully the top management).

In reality, I do carry and would not hesitate to use it to save the life of others. If I get fired for being a hero than so be it, there are other jobs.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Rather judged by 12 than carried by 6, as the saying goes.  Unfortunately, my gun is in the car.

But I never go anywhere where I'm not aware of multiple escape routes if available, "safe areas," etc.

If a gunman were to be firing shots at the end of my hall, I'd use the small mirror in my desk to get a view of whats going on in the hall.  Depending on his location, I'd do the following:

1) If he's coming down this hall and not the one that runs perpendicular to it, I'd barricade myself into my office.  The offices here have solid wood doors on them, and are very stout.  I have enough furniture that could easily be moved in front of the door, effectively keeping the shooter outside.  I'd then get behind the oak desk I sit at and take the opportunity to call 911 and corporate security.

2) If he's heading down the other hall, I'd exit the end of the corridor and head to my car.  I'd be down there in less than 20 seconds and retrieving my Glock.  Then I'd make my way back up, making sure to not to get caught unaware coming back to take the guy out, and when I came across him I'd do my damndest to send him to be judged by God.  I'd probably be fired and arrested, but I'd be alive and my kids would still have their dad.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a gun in the trunk, but if I couldn't get there, I like the fire alarm & run idea.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A responsible citizen would call 911.
View Quote

Yes
If you tried to do anything else you are just a cop basher and isolationist.
View Quote

hmm... isolationist..., I can live with that...
SSD
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
My co-workers are my friends. It's a small company.  They like my TAPCO assault rifle coffee mugs [:)].

I unholster the 1911, check the spare mag, and go hunting.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Start singing a song of peace and love so that the troubled person with the gun can be one with nature since he's actually the victim here.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Wish I could but I work on campus and that would be a felony.

If I could I'd drop the bastard with a headshot. If it is Level I Armor then an Assault Rifle or strong Handgun even to the chest should do the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top