Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 7:45:44 PM EDT
So my plan to use the CavArms lower for a long-range shooter didn't work out as planned.

The CavArms part is a winner and it's looking for an upper to maximize its potential.  It wants to be built into a super lightweight.

What's the lightest post-ban upper out there?

My experience runs toward heavy rifles so I'm trolling for leads on what to look for.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster sells their lightweight 16" job.  Looks nice!

I wouldn't touch a Professional Ordinance upper with YOUR pecker, let alone mine.[:P] Be very afraid of these.

good luck
JDP

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Arock, Why did'nt it work out? I was goin to do that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Does Oly sell the upper of there lightweight?The weight was suppose to be something like 4.92lbs if I remember correctly.[entire rifle]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Oly used to make an ultralight barrel.  Call and see if they still have any.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yo, Surf...I planned to make a 1000 yard AR15 using the CavArms lower.

Got the CavArms part.  First thing was install a Jewell trigger.  No problem and worked great.

Next we added a Georgia Precision solid bar lead weight to the stock to counterbalance the 24 inch bull barrel.  That was a mistake.

After firing the rifle five times we noticed the seam on top of the stock had opened.  After a few more rounds it opened wider.

We stopped shooting, took the rifle apart and sent the lower back to Shawn at CavArms.  Good as his word, Shawn fixed the lower and sent it back.

We put the rifle back together this time measuring the internals of the stock as well as we could and tapered the GPSS weight to match the coutour of the compartment.  (It's slightly different than a standard A2 compartment.)

Fired the rifle again and got the same result.  The seam split in the same place again.

We decided the CavArms doesn't like solid weights.  We discussed trying lead shot in a sock but figured we were simply mistreating the lower.

We got a conventional lower for the long range rifle and it works just fine.

Now I want to put the CavArms to a better use and plan to build a superlight AR.  That's why I'm looking for a light post-ban upper.

BTW Shawn continues to be as good as his word.  He's repairing the lower again at no cost and in less than a week.  You gotta love folks like that.

Arock
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Prof. Ordinance. Check CDNN they have em on sale.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
LT and Shawn, thanks!

Arock
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
...for a lightweight upper, I had Bushmaster install their stretched M4 barrel (16") onto my A1 upper. And it is very light!  But when I ordered, they did not have the superlight 16" available. Now a superlight on the A1 upper...
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My SP1 (slickside) complete upper weighs 4lbs 6ozs. Just unpre-ban it if you get one.
I bought a number of new Colt slickside receivers from a company called PlacerCBS (they may still have some) if you want to build your own.
Check out DPMS #BA-FN7---This is an A2 with(IIRC) a skinny BBL. $340.00
I would go with the SP1...
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Noname...I'm gonna check the next gunshow and see if I can't liberate a SP1 upper.  SP1 is a pencil barrel, right?

I'll bet I can get the whole CavArms package close to 4 lbs. when SP1 upper is unpre-banned.

Arock
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes it's the pencil BBL. No FA or brass deflector.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
KY Imports has LE SP1 trade in uppers every now and then...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top