Posted: 10/10/2001 5:26:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
One thought:

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Contempt leads to disrespect.

Disrespect sees inferiority.

Inferiors always hate their superiors.

When the inferiors demonstrate their hate, it is returned by the targets of their hate.

"Embrace diversity".

Another observation:

My tenth grade english teacher once told our class, "We tend to end up hating those we give charity to."
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Clearly you have a anti Muslim agenda.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It always comes off so much better when Imbroglio does it.  Sly sarcasm just isn't your style Steyr.[;)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't fear muslims, most of them are good people. If it became evident that a few of them ment me harm, I would not hate them, I would just become very pissed off and shoot back.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.drhurd.com/publications/psych-of-hate.html[/url]
Yoda said, "Avoid hate, fear, anger and dispair as these lead the path to the dark side." I read in a management magazine that succesful mercs are passionate about the mission and indifferent to the enemy. If you seem to be wary of middle easterners right now, that is only rational based on the cuurent tide of events. Enough of my ramble, I agree totally with Maynard.
Irrational hate is very often the result of irrational fear. When people fear something without good reason, hate provides a convenient excuse for refusing to name and defend the reasons for the fear. Hatred -- as opposed to introspective, self-acknowledgement of fear -- can provide a superficial sense of control to an unhealthy person. For example, an individual who is irrationally afraid of black people, Asian people, or gay people can simply say, "I hate them! They're disgusting and evil!" This way, the hater does not have to admit to anybody -- even to himself -- that he's really afraid more than anything else. By masking his fear in the pseudo-moral righteousness of prejudice, the hater gets to escape reason, facts, and logic.
View Quote

I guess Yoda was right.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate."

I question whether it is irrational to fear muslims. I would admit I have feared them since my first close encounter with them in Oman.  
Even then they seemed prone to violence with threats of violence and lewd comments simply because we were Americans.

Given what has occured is it truly wrong to distrust muslims or those who look muslim and feel uneasy in their presence?

Would hate at this point be irrational?

We certainly have cause for fear and anger.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, bermuda, welcome and WTF, Over?

Gotta put the cursor after the [/quote] and type in a non-invisible font [;D]

Again, welcome!

Airborne!
Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate bad drivers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Don't care much for what muslims have done to our country and abroad. It isn't only Osama that I can point to, I can also look at the Palestines for an example of extremist zealots who really don't care who they kill. Then there is the Taliban with all their good deeds. My personal experiences didn't do much to endear them to me also.

What's your trip with the Israelis? Just Anti-Semetic in general or can you point to something specific?

View Quote

I'm sorry "Clearly you have a anti Muslim agenda" was a futile attempt to demonstrate how stupid and pathetic accusations of anti semetism are in contrast.

TimeToAnnoyTheHogs
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It always comes off so much better when Imbroglio does it.  Sly sarcasm just isn't your style Steyr.[;)]
View Quote

Clearly you have a anti Steyr agenda.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd say there is another way to begin to hate.

Let's say your neighbor likes to scoop up his dog poop and through it over the fence into your yard. After you ask him to stop several times and he doesn't, you'll begin to hate him.

Do you fear him? No. Do you fear the dog poop? No...well maybe fear stepping in it, but I don't think that kind of fear applies here.

So annoyance will lead to fear just as easily as hate. Can we be annoyed at bin Laden and his followers for continualkly carrying out terrorist attacks on us? Yes.

I refuse to live in fear.

"Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. ...and no one was there!" ---unknown.
View Quote

No need to hade, just be juvenile and put the offesive substance in a brown paper bag, light it on fire, ring doorbell, run. Even if he's smart enough to not stomp it out, his entryway still smells like burning shyte.

Stress Relief

Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a mistake to consider hatred as something that should be avoided. To hate a particular individual is a waste of time. However, hate of a system, hate of an institution, hate of a policy, hate of ignorance, hate of lazyness, hate of greed, are all admirable things. Many people hate a group of people, (say muslims or israelis or catholics) because their culture or their system of beliefs, in the majority, reflect IDEAS and PRINCIPLES we hate. Rather than confront these ideas and principles with our hatred, and seek to eradicate them from existance, we instead seek to eradicate the people, as it is a much easier task to envision and accomplish.
    That being said, it is not necessarily WRONG to hate a group of people, as long as that hatred is justified, backed up if you will, by explaining the principles or customs that that group (in general) exhibit that offends us. We should hate fundamental extremists of ALL religions because they are generally bigoted, sheep-like people that refuse to see any point of view or way of living that differs from their own. We should hate the aloof nature of many liberals, who preach from ivory towers about right and wrong, but have never soiled their hands in the trenches of the social war they so strongly advocate. We should hate a culture like that of the current Mexican governmental system because it is rife with corruption and lack of compassion regarding the welfare of their own people. However, rather than seeking to kill ALL religious fundamentalists, imprison ALL liberal dogmatiscists, and engage in genocide in Mexico, we should seek to rid those groups/people of the endorsement of ideals which we find offensive. It is in removing the ideals from these entities that we encounter difficulties, and where some individuals, refusing to part with ideas so dangerous to the welfare of other people, must be eliminated from having a voice to spread those ideas. But we as the persons doing the removal service should recognize that it is not the geographic place of birth, the DNA sequencing, or the manner of prayer that should make someone a candidate for such harsh action, it is the ideas and principles. Therefore when a society ceases to have offensive ideas and principles, we should cease to hate that society.

Some would ask the manner in which we should determine the method of measuring what should be offensive and what should be tolerated. This is simple. There are 2 conditions.
1)As long as the belief or custom harmes no one;
 it should be tolerated.

2)Preservation of the whole of society should be considered before the protection of a minority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top