Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 1:20:56 PM EDT
A friend of mine wants to sell me his Oly preban AR, Serial # UKXXXX. for $800. The thing is, the date of manufacture is 8/27/94. (According to www.olyarms.com)  That is awfuly close to the magic date of Sept 13, 94. It is 95% or so condition, and he has 6 30rnd prebans.  This will be my first AR, and I was hoping you guys could help.  

Thanks, JT
[smoke] [8D]

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good to me as long as the mags are GI or at least Orlite/Thermolds and not USA or other garbage.  And as long as you are sure about that date.

Pre-ban prices are dropping.  I saw my first sub-$1K SP1 the other day, and I would take a pre-ban Colt over an Oly anyday, although YMMV.  If it belongs to a friend of yours perhaps you could test-drive it before plunking down the bucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, we are going to go shoot it on saturday.  He says it jams every thousand rounds or so.

JT
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It doesn't seem to be a pre-ban rifle. Can you get a letter from Olympic?

SN Range  1st Date  End Date Special Notes

UK0001 UK0448 08/27/1994 08/27/1994  
View Quote

I think this list means that its was born on or around 8/27/94.  Which is awfuly close to the ban date of 9/13/94.  What does this mean?  I am so confused [:(]

I know that olympic cant tell me anymore info than is on their serial number list because a fire in 2000 destroyed all of their data.

Anybody else have any experise in this area?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Oly's webssite lists UK0000 to UK 0448 as being manufactured on 8/27/94.

If you can get a letter from Oly stating that, then I'd think about it.

Another consideration - I've heard numerous complaints about Oly's preban stuff, and quality problems. I own much of Oly's current stuff, and have had NO problems. So, even if it is a good rifle, you may not get a good selling price if ever you re-sell as perception is reality.

Were the lower to go bad, I beleive you could have Oly remanufacture a receiver, using the same serial #, and it still be considered a pre-ban. Check with Oly to make sure my understanding is right.

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody else have any input?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top