Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/9/2001 2:56:38 PM EDT
IDIOTS. Tuesday, Oct. 9, 10:22 a.m. EDT Stock Market Down Due to a Rifle Shot? Maybe it's the gunfire in Alaska - not in Afghanistan - that's weighing on the market. "Get this, a 37-year-old drunk with a high-powered rifle caused the second-largest oil spill ever in the Alaskan pipeline on Friday," observed the DR Blue's Dan Denning. "The single-gunshot wound to the pipeline effectively shut down one-fifth of all domestic U.S. oil production." The pipeline is supposedly built to withstand gunshots. "It has an outer coating of galvanized metal, four inches of insulation, and a half-inch of steel," says Denning. "But that wasn't enough to stop a bullet from a .38-caliber rifle. Let me ask you this, if a drunk with a rifle can halt 1/5 of U.S. oil production with a single bullet, what do you think a couple of sober terrorists could do with a rocket launcher?" Hard to say, but it probably wouldn't be bullish ... except for defense stocks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:59:49 PM EDT
.38/55 Winchester. What? You don't got one?[:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:11:05 PM EDT
Actually, it was a .338 that he used to punch that hole in the pipeline, my favorite caliber for punching holes in elk !!!! bowhuntr
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:15:36 PM EDT
Before the advent of the .338, I believe that most pipeline rifles were chambered in the classic .375 Holland & Holland. These fine old pipeline rifles are now mostly confined to collections, of course.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:17:07 PM EDT
I heard a .338 Winmag also. Scary thing is, everyone has been worried about banning .50 cals, now this is a 'perfect' argument for the liberals to use to further that kind of legislation. "One man with a .338 took out critical oil production ofr several days, imagine what 10 men with .50 cals could do???" Plus, now you have to worry about a call to ban calibers over and including .338.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:10:43 PM EDT
also dont forget that a 357 lever action is still technicaly a 38 caliber rifle! course i doubt it could do that kind of damage to a piece of thick piping
Top Top