Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 9:50:04 AM EDT
All of us are aware of the "no longer importable" mandate that applies to foreign barrels and receivers, but am I missing something or what?  There doesn't seem to be a shortage of these "banned" weapons.  AIM Surplus currently has a sale on SAR2's for $229.  The FAL board just did a group purchase on Imbel parts kits.  What gives?  If these items are no longer importable, should prices go up instead of having sales and group purchases?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe what happened last year is that our friends at BATF published a memo stating that they would no longer renew ATF Form 6s for importation of "military style barrels and receivers."  Not sure about this.  Please correct me if I have this wrong.  Seems like the gist of this was non-renewal of Form 6 permits.

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, here is how they are getting around the latest rules revision.  

Century is importing low capacity barreled AK actions.  They then convert the receiver to accept 30rd magazines.  They put on the furniture, and enough US parts to make it legal and bam!!  US mfg rifle imported from Romania.

I was at AIM yesterday and asked because I had heard rumors that CAI was doing this.  Guy steps in back says "yep here is a smple gun they sent us"  So cheap AK's will be around for a while unless they stop the US mfg of high capacity rifles.  I believe that would take an act of congress not a rules interpretation by ATF.

I can't speak about FAL's.  Those may eventually dry up.  I know STG kits, decent ones are very scarce and expensive.  All the Imbel stuff that is coming in now where probably on already approved form 6's before Aug.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top