Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 5:40:13 AM EDT
I was in B&S Guns in Garland Texas to pick up a couple of shotgun parts.  I coould get these much cheaper over the net, but was trying to support local businesses with a firearm related purchase.  After making my purchase, my 12 year old son Josh was looking at a Bushmaster 20" rifle with the Realtree camo furniture.  This shop keeps all of their longarms out in open racks for direct access and inspection by customers.  Josh asked me if he could look at the rifle while I stood next to him, and I said yes.

He carefully picked the rifle up, cleared it, and locked the bolt back.  He kept it pointing straight up while we both looked at the camo finish.

While we were looking, the owner of the shop ran up and said, "We cannot allow children to handle [b]assault weapons[/b].  If the ATF came in here, they would shut us down."

I had Josh place the rifle back in the rack, and replied to the owner that there is no statute as he cites, but that I respect his decision to not allow certain people to handle certain firearms.  Funny, though, he had absolutely no problem with Josh checking out and shouldering shotguns not 10 minutes earlier.  I guess that some firearms can kill you "more dead" than others.  [>:/]

I also told this guy that he did not sell [b]assault weapons[/b], as nothing in his store was full auto.  He had no idea what I was talking about.

I'll not darken the doorstep of that moron's business again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Bud, the attitude at B&S has always been different like that.  They seem to go through employees pretty fast.  The only really stable person I've met there is the lady behind the cash register.  She has a sense of humor too.  The only one in the joint.

B&S is the closest shop to me, but I usually drive over to McClelland's because the folks there are so much nicer.  

If you want something other than ammo you might stop by K2 Sports at Central and Arapaho.  They're small, strictly "tactical", have really good attitudes and nice things for sale.

Tell Josh that Hunter and I said hello.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You're right Arock, I should have gone to McClelland's.  It is a bit of a trip, but much nicer folks.

K2 is 'way cool.  When I went there and told them that "Newman sent me", they just gave me a blank stare, though.  [:D]

Hope that all is well with you and your family.

Bud
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Bud, you should have seen the look on the owner's face the day I mentioned something about my Class III. I think I took at least 5 years off of him! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Josh has put more rounds through the ar than that guy has I bet..........[:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
BlackandGreen
Josh has put more rounds through the ar than that guy has I bet..........
View Quote

That's why Eric the Ammoman has me on his Christmas card list.  Between shooting my toys and occasional forays with Don_R's M16 and other's Class III toys, the little bugger is costing me some money.   [heavy]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I`ve had some smart assed salesmen (especially in "department' stores) get embarased by asking for some exotic ammo that you suspect they don`t carry....or ask for some type of gun or magazine that they probably never heard of.......usually gets rid of them so you can shop in peace..........[:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
With all these stories about retarded gun store owners, it couldn't be that hard for me to start my own.  Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#11]
BUT... for every dumb gunshop owner story, they must have 100 dumb customer stories.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If S&W found
out there would
be big trouble.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
That gun shop owner has no testicles at all, and not much of a brain.

I live in the OCR where it IS specifically illegal to lend an "AW" to anyone, and if the person borrowing it is a minor you can get an extra year in the pokey.

But I let kids handle and fire my ARs every chance I get.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That is sad, what a buffoon.  Like that guy that wouldn't let anybody see that antique Century Arms pos.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
This is just one of the many examples of reasons that I absolutely can't stand going to most gun shops.

Between the piss poor attitudes, ridiculous prices, dis/misinformation, gunshop groupies and generally lousy experience that I have every time I decide to give 'em another chance, I would just as soon by everything I need over the net.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BUT... for every dumb gunshop owner story, they must have 100 dumb customer stories.
View Quote

Yep, but gun store owners should know their stuff, since they specialize in that area.

Customers coming in could be newbies, and can be expected to ask some stupid questions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
schnacke made the best point.  It's what the gun shop owners do, so they should know the law.

The name of the place is B&S?  That should tell you something.z
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I been to B&S a few times...
Once I was after a scope base for my new Mossberg 500. An ol' fart behind the counter was sent to assist me. He fumbled around a found it on  a rack where several other bases/mounts were hanging. Only thing is that it was for Mossberg 500, years 1996 and earlier.
Well after finding this out at the house (the screws were to small mount wasnt drilled right for reciever) I went back to the store. I figured it out before I left the house. The new Mod 500 and 835 use the same base and screws. Cost effective these days. I told the ol' fart and when he swaped me out he went to his boss and told him guess what I figured out we need to get more 835 bases.......
I just shooked my head and left. B&S has quit going to gunshows they are not way overly priced but are high on some weapons and ammo.I bought my wifes .243 from them at the last gunshow I seen them at.

As for McClelland's I have purchased a few firearms from them and live about 5 minutes from there front door. However I have not been to impressed with some of there help and they have way to high of ammo prices and used firearms are high too. I knew an ol boy that worked as a gunsmith for them for 8 years..he left, opened up a traditional archery and blackpowder shop but it failed after 1 1/2 years.(thats sad he had a good plan but little support).

Well I still say the gunshows are our best choice. I have seen some of the folks at the tables for years now and like to bs with them as well as trade/buy. I have yet to see a gunshop give mea a break for repeated purchase,while these folks have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top