Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2001 9:17:10 PM EDT
What do yall give up to purchase new guns?

I would have to say clothes. My wardrobe is shit and I don't think I've bought anything new for myself in like 5 years. If it wasn't for my wife I'd be the worst dressed guy around.

But I always have enough cash for that must-have-deal.[:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Coke bottles for deposit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
two words:  Ramen Noodles
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just yesterday I emptied out one of those 5 gallon plastic water jugs that I filled about 1/4 full with pocket change (about 3 years worth). I dumped it into one of those Coinstar Machines at the supermarket. After the machine took it's share of 8.3%, I walked away with $860.00 in currency!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask my wife for the OK.  I can usually afford about a grands worth of guns per year, but as I live paycheck to paycheck I have to get the OK from the wife so she will cover my part of the bills.  She doesn't like guns but she is pretty good about it, as when I get a gun she gets jewelry.  Of course as she just bought herself a new car I get to get a nice gun this time.  Mmmm Eclipse.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How do I afford them?  I work seven days per week.  Also, I review textbooks for a publisher.  It takes a lot of time compared to the pay, but I learn a lot.  Of course, that's also why I don't have time to shoot.  Two months without shooting has been painful.  When I think about it, why am I working so much to buy a gun that I can't shoot because I'm working so much to buy a gun that I can't shoot because I'm working...  It's a vicious circle.

My current problem is between my wife and I, as of last night we don't have a working car.  I walked @#$@# six miles to work this morning.  I guess it's time to drag both of our cars to a dealership to use them as a downpayment on a new one.  That's something I've been putting off for almost 20 years.  I hate buying a car, and it's not going to be much fun to have to share one with my wife.  The best cheap car I've found is the Toyota Echo.  I'm going to miss my van, but the Echo makes much more sense than a full size work van and my wife's Chevelle.  I hate getting old and sensible.  It only took 73 years.z
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Coke bottles for deposit.
View Quote

That's really not funny-----I do save aluminum cans.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
zoom

Dude, keep the Chevelle. It can't cost that much to fix!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay away from the bottles and I'll stay away from the cans and there'll be no need for violence. Everything'll be cool.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
"Ater the machine took it's share of 8.3%, I walked away with $860.00 in currency!"

It was worth $71.00 to let a machine count out your money? If it took two hours to count it out that is still over $35.00 an hour.

Next time send me your change!
[X]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Deal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Luckily I am in a position that allows me TONS of overtime. So...when I get the urge, I work up some extra days. Has worked out very nicely. Ditching the wife (now ex) has definately worked to my advantage. Not that it is a solution to money, but it worked for me. hehe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Two words: Lay Away. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I go into what I like to call "firearm posture".
I only spend on what I can't live without.  No partying, less food, and I mooch off of friends.  Whatever it takes!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just yesterday I emptied out one of those 5 gallon plastic water jugs that I filled about 1/4 full with pocket change (about 3 years worth). I dumped it into one of those Coinstar Machines at the supermarket. After the machine took it's share of 8.3%, I walked away with $860.00 in currency!  [:D]
View Quote

Are you kidding? Most banks do it for free if you have an account. Those that don't, usually charge 1%.

You could have bought 4 new 30rnd USGI mags with the money you lost on that deal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've only seen one person actually use one of those machines. There's a reasons: Banks do it for free.
I can't see wasting $70 bucks on having my coins counted.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]
Quoted:
"Ater the machine took it's share of 8.3%, I walked away with $860.00 in currency!"

It was worth $71.00 to let a machine count out your money? If it took two hours to count it out that is still over $35.00 an hour.

Next time send me your change!
[X]
View Quote
[/b]

WHAT HE SAID!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I never heard of a bank doing anything for free!  If that's true, then next time they'll do the counting for sure!

There were so many coins it would have taken me days to get it done!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I never heard of a bank doing anything for free!  If that's true, then next time they'll do the counting for sure!

There were so many coins it would have taken me days to get it done!
View Quote

Usually you just need to have an account at a bank for free change counting. If your bank doesn't have it for free, just ask them if they know of a bank that does, because you want to move your account to that bank.

As punishment, bank your head against your desk once for every dollar you lost to the change machine. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Two jobs. One job I only work 10 hours a week and the other 50-60. The part time job gets me through the week allowing me to save all of the money from my full time job.

Have my eyes on a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70 Or a Marlin in .450.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]WHY DOESN'T ANYONE TELL ME THESE THINGS!!![/B]   [>Q]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a big margarita glass from The Frontier that I use for coins. When I am given a travel allowance and go to Vegas, I take all of that to a change booth. Last time I had almost $250.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
zoom

View Quote

Obviously you haven't restored a classic muscle car before.  Remember, a car is worth twice as much in parts as it is whole.  If you restore a classic car, it will cost twice as much as it will to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

You haven't seen the car!  It's a 6 cylinder with no options.  That's right, no power steering or brakes, and it's a three on the tree.  We later added air, which quit this summer.  Also, the windows are "power."  They require a lot of cranking power on the old, rusty parts to get them to move.  It's not a pleasant car for my wife to drive.  Plus, it no longer goes into third, and reverse grinds more than it moves the car.  The clutch catches on only about the top 5% of the travel.  If you travel up too steep of a hill and you give it some gas, you can hear the engine accelerate while the car slows down.  The clutch is that weak.  The springs have sagged so much it looks like a low rider.  The hubcaps have been missing for so long that I don't have the vaguest notion as to what they looked like.   Ditto the headliner.  The doors sag so much you have to lift before closing.  The car leaks like a strainer, but you don't want to drive it in the rain anyway, because the wipers don't work.  Wiper motors are expensive!  The insulation on the wiring is cracking and falling off.  I've spent many hours over the past year trying to find shorts.  Did I mention it was a no-power 6 cylinder?  When you hear Chevelle, you probably think of something nice with a big V8.  That is not this car.  It needs to be scrapped-out for parts.  If the Toyota dealership offers me over $400 for it, I'll do a backflip.

To bring this back to a gun discussion, the worn-out foam in the driver's seat is supplemented with peanuts from my last order for gun parts.  Most of the chrome is cold-blued with the cheap Outer's solution from Wal Mart.  I couldn't keep it from rusting, so I took some sandpaper to it and blued it.  Parts of the bumper are also patched that way.  It has kept the rust from spreading.  If it wasn't for CLP, the windows wouldn't work.  The parts were binding until I coated them in CLP.  For that matter, many of the surfaces in the car and under the hood have CLP on them.

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to a car that works.  I will have several more hours per month to work and buy more guns (how's that for a on-topic save!), because I won't have to screw-around with the cars.  I used to walk/hitchhike about six miles into town five days per week after high school and in the summers looking for work in the late 40's, but this morning showed me (again) that is no longer safe.  Sharing will be a pain, but I think we can deal with that.  I'm really looking forward to air conditioning, tilt steering wheel, halogen headlights (I'm old and I need the light), and a radio.  All for $9,650, plus $925(ouch!) for air, if we get that.  I can't believe these cars aren't selling better than they are.  I've drove a Honda Civic(yuck!), a Kia, a Daewoo, a Suzuki Swift, and the Echo.  If you're looking for a cheap car, the Echo is the best thing out there.  You sit-up a little higher so it's easier to see and get out of.  Also, other than width, there seems to be more room in it than my wife's Chevelle.  That seems impossible, but automobile engineering has come a long way.  All that remains is for us to fight over what our trade-ins are worth.z

PS:  Is it obvious that South Carolina no longer has yearly car inspections?
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#24]
It's time for the moment of truth--I afford all my nice toys by being
a Mangina.  Yes, the truth is out, I'm a man-ho.  I pleasure women for money.  I make about $3 a time with tips.  About 250 times gets me a nice AR.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#25]
slt223 said:

Obviously you haven't restored a classic muscle car before.
View Quote

Muscle car?  I laughed so loud at that statement that a couple of guys here at work came to make sure that I was ok.  They thought I was having a heart attack.  The two of them want my job, but they can't have it yet.

Seriously, you're correct about it costing more to fix than it's worth.  If you fix a few things here and there each month, you can easily spend a new car payment without ever making it look nice (new paint) or faster (engine work).  Scalper prices from scrap yards or expensive reproduction parts make it just not worth it to fix.  That doesn't even include the labor.  Even if my car was in perfect shape, I don't think it would be worth more than $4,000.  I've seen perfect Chevelle's with the Mailibu option interior sell for less than that.  It would cost me that much to replace the engine, replace the clutch, fix the transmission, fix the chrome, replace the weatherstripping, paint it, and fix the air.  I'd still have to do a lot of body work to staighten-out the panels/doors, replace the floorboard, the trunk floor (part of it is a piece of plywood right now!), and completely replace the interior.  A guy I went to high school with just finished a '32 Ford Coupe.  I haven't ridden in it yet, because he is too afraid to drive it since he has spent more on it than on his house.  While I have spent more on the car than it's worth (times 10), at least I haven't wasted a lot of money to make it look nice or to make it faster.z
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
two words:  Ramen Noodles
View Quote

6-8 for a buck, that should keep you alive for a week.
[|)] - SSD
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's time for the moment of truth--I afford all my nice toys by being
a Mangina.  Yes, the truth is out, I'm a man-ho.  I pleasure women for money.  I make about $3 a time with tips.  About 250 times gets me a nice AR.  

View Quote

So you're a he-bitch man-slut just like me?  I thought I was the only one who did that for money.

"Do what you will,
just don't steal my gun money racket."
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Clothes were sacrificed, as well as a good truck. I have an S-10 and a GMC 2500 that both need to stay registered as they take turns breaking down. I still don't have a decent suit. I also don't go "out." My wife and I might catch a movie once a year or go to dinner every other month and that's about it.
"Want to get sweaty, honey?"
Cast some bullets
"Want some entertainment, honey?"
Paint a face on the target
"Want to go exercise, honey?"
Process that brass
"Want some excitement, honey?"
Let's go to the range

:-)
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
VISA.....[:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
zoom

View Quote

Obviously you haven't restored a classic muscle car before.  Remember, a car is worth twice as much in parts as it is whole.  If you restore a classic car, it will cost twice as much as it will to buy one.
View Quote

You're right I have never restored a muscle car[rolleyes]

zoom
After reading you vast despriction of the car from hell run an ad in the paper and sell it for parts. The dealership will give you nothing.

What year is the Chevelle? Anything '72 and older is worth money for the pieces, especially if it's a two-door. The drive train isn't worth squat but the body might make a decent race car.

Then again, from your description there may not be a single useable part on that poor car.[:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't allow myself the luxury of a new car. It's easier spending on parts than making payments. Never had anyone repair or build something for me around the house, do that myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
How to afford new guns? Work like a SLED DOG.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Save save save save save save and then save some more. Work work work work work work to get mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money. An unending process. Go without- whatever- to achieve the goal. Ramen noodles? HA! I live on popcorn- unbuttered, unsalted! :^) (caveat: my kids eat and live well, though.) I do research work, historical translation, make historic reproductions of cartridge pouches, etc. to get my money for guns, etc.

Funny thing is- I have (ahem) enough guns. Other than yet another SMLE I have on layaway, I NEED more ammo!

Buy ammo in bulk- BIG bulk- go without shooting for a few weeks, but you save $$$$$ by not buying it one little box at a time.

I need mo:
- 9X18
- 7.62x54R

mmmmmm.....time to call aimsurplus.com (when I have enough money saved up)

Todd Beamer, Jeremy Glick, Mark Bingham: The Flying Tigers, 9-11-01
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Charge It!
Then send the bill to the white house, the president said get out and spend some money for the economy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I sell drugs and rob banks.  Great hours I only work a few hours per month and I can write-off the guns and ammo as a business expense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#38]
My handle says it all! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I do side jobs.  My wife lets me keep the money for my "hobbies" (guns, and an 81 Trans Am, although the Trans Am hasn't seen much cash influx recently)  She doesn't know how much I charge per hour.  If she did I would only be able to keep a third of what I actually get.  This year has been especially bad (read good) for gun purchases.  If the Man has a list somewhere, I'm definately on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I`m a pimp and my ho`s gather my cash
[:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I get $0.30 per post on AR15.com. Which is QUITE the bargain for y'all I might add [:D]

Goatboy and Anti and G&B owe me my LEGP!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Charge it and then work off duty to pay it off before the wife sees the bill. That way it only costs time. Sometimes that's worth more than money though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Law School Financial Aid money!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I live in a box, no bills, mortgage, taxes, etc........[:o)][:o)][:o)]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
slt223 said:

Obviously you haven't restored a classic muscle car before.
View Quote

Muscle car?  I laughed so loud at that statement that a couple of guys here at work came to make sure that I was ok.  They thought I was having a heart attack.  The two of them want my job, but they can't have it yet.

View Quote

Are you going to tell me that a 70' SS Chevelle with an LS6 454, M22 4-speed, and a 12 bolt posi out back runnnig 4.11:1's isn't a muscle car?  If I remember correctly the LS6 put 450HP and 500+ ft-lb of tourque.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Prioritize... badly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
VISA.....[:D]
View Quote

1) Visa. I second that.
2) Student Loans. I earned a scholarship so I get to keep the entire loan amount.
3) Part-Time Job. Pays shit, but at least it pays for my ammo.
4) Sell Stuff On E-Bay. I used to do this when I didn't have a job.
5) Offer my services as a tech. Some friends and family'll pay me $20 - 40 to repair their computers rather than paying CompUSA or Best Buy over $100.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I am the major distributor between a major Columbian Cartel and the American Cosa Nostra.  I make decent money and work weekends with diabled kids.  I also have Mil. ID and "check out" guns for eval. [X]
Actually fixing computers is decent money.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Dont tell the wife what you make on side jobs, dont tell the wife what you make selling guns for other people, and above all dont tell the wife how much it really cost.
(she thinks a  compltet Bushy lower cost $75.00)
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I sell drugs and rob banks.  Great hours I only work a few hours per month and I can write-off the guns and ammo as a business expense.
View Quote

HAHA

Ranks right up there with "I sell crack pipes in my spare time to make a dollar."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top