Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 12:36:51 PM EDT
buying a preban upper because you want to build a preban gun but don't have the lower yet and only have one complete postban gun in your home. I have heard this discussed before but was wondering if storing the legally owned preban upper in your home away from the complete post ban gun until I can buy the preban lower would present a problem. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
YOU CAN'T assemble a new rifle from pre-ban parts that were not a pre-ban rifle when sold.
If you own a pre-ban rifle BOUGHT as a rifle, and the barrel/upper is replaced with another pre-ban ... that's legal. taking a bunch of pre-ban made parts that were parts and not a rifle is illegal.

some of the more experienced guys here should be able to quote specific laws.

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower is the "gun" The upper is just parts without it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I understand the LOWER is the gun. I do know that. But I now understand what NoExpert said which i didn't know and that is that it is illegal to buy a complete preban upper and then go and buy a complete preban lower(UNLESS it was a COMPLETE gun before the ban). So I guess that is where documentation comes in saying it was a complete rifle. So you are better off buying a complete preban rifle I guess.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You can own as many pre-ban uppers as you want, even if you only have post-ban lowers.
There is no law against this.
An AR15 upper is not a firearm. It does not have a serial number on it. There are no laws or ATF rulings against this.

Please don't get NFA laws/rulings mixed up with non-NFA firearms.

The only time a pre-ban upper would become illegal is if you assembled an "defined assault weapon" using a post-ban lower and that pre-ban upper.

Buy it if it is a good deal, just don't "mix and match" until you have your pre-ban lower.

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can own as many pre-ban uppers as you want, even if you only have post-ban lowers.
There is no law against this.
An AR15 upper is not a firearm. It does not have a serial number on it. There are no laws or ATF rulings against this.

Please don't get NFA laws/rulings mixed up with non-NFA firearms.

The only time a pre-ban upper would become illegal is if you assembled an "defined assault weapon" using a post-ban lower and that pre-ban upper.

Buy it if it is a good deal, just don't "mix and match" until you have your pre-ban lower.

View Quote

OK I understand that it is OK to buy the Preban upper and keep it in my home with my postban gun as long as i don't mix and match. But I don't understand your comment about confusing NFA laws with non-NFA laws. Did something I say in my response to NoExpert apply only to NFA guns. Sorry to be a pain, just want to get this right. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top