Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 6:57:18 PM EDT
My 9mos pregnant wife just got stung by a bee.  She's not alergic but I am deathly alergic to bees and have had a couple of severe reactions.

Here's the question; Do we need to get to a hospital posthaste or will the baby be OK?  I'm not sure if the baby will be alergic like I am or if the histamines will even cross to the baby.

Any ideas?

crash.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Dont take any chances, go to the doctor office or hospital!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm at work and she's home,  She's calling the hosp now and getting back to me on results.  I thought I'd double check here hoping drjarhead was messing around.  Hopefully she's fine (the baby).  If she's got my allergies though, she's in trouble.

crash
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Go home! be with her. you wont be able to work thinking about this anyway. Goodluck!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Get her to a hospital because she is preg.

Normally, I use vinegar on bee stings.  The acid in the vinegar neutralizes the alkaline bee venom quite well, and helps soothe it.

Old Pennsylvania home remedy that works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the advise from the E.R., although they usually will tell you to come in anyway since they can't really diagnose over the phone. My wife ( a pediatrician), feels that it shouldn't be problem, especially since this is the child's first possible exposure to a bee sting. Personally, I don't know that the situation would go beyond Mom's reaction to the sting. The main thing is that you are comfortable with your decision to wait or go in.
WSmac
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are still there. Baby should be ok. If wife has any changes in baby's activity would get it checked out.
1) Baking soda and water paste can help alleviate sting sensation.
2)elevation and ice
3)topical hydrocortisone or other steroid to sting site for itching and inflammation
4)benadryl. If reaction becomes more severe locally. Will make your wife drowsy.
5)If your wife breaks out in a rash(other than locally about the sting), if her tongue, mouth or lips are swelling or if she is having difficulty breathing then you need to take her in immediately or call the ambulance. I'd make that choice based on distance to ER.
Wish I'd been available earlier but I was in bed-my dog is acting wierd and I finally got up. Let me know what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top