Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 3:41:53 PM EDT
I got my bike stolen today. I was a green Gary Fischer Gitchee Gummee.

I went to work and locked it at a tree at the back of the store like i've been doing since Febuary. Came out at 7:00 PM and didn't see the bike, only the cable lock that some prick had cut. My guess is that someone noticed the bike was there for 3 days a week at the same times and knew when to steal it. When I buy a new bike I'm getting one of those $50 kryptonite U locks. Luckily who ever stole it isn't going to get a lot of money for it-I paid $300 for it 2 years ago. He'll be lucky to get a 100 bucks.

I guess I'm lucky; i'm 15 years old and this is the first time I had a bike stolen (and i'm a very avid rider).

What i'm surprised about is that it was locked in a busy, well lit area in an upper-middle class town.

If anyone can reccomend a good mountain bike (pref. a gary fischer) up to $400 let me know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid, we were insanely poor-
We lived in a total ghetto. It was brutal.

I remember the kids would hop on the Tri-Met bus, and go to the rich neighborhoods to get bikes. They would ride them home.
Usually, if you had a friend who was going along, you could talk him into getting you a bike if you didn't feel like going with.
It never took more than $20 to get someone to do it.
The poorest kids always have the best bikes.

[white]heh[/white]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a green Gary Fischer Gitchee Gummee
View Quote

[b]Huh!?!?[/b]   [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My big wheel was stolen a month ago. Dirty bastards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if it makes you feel better, I had my bike TAKEN, not stolen, from me when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. I let my guard down for 2 seconds.

I should have been more alert when I saw six boys on five bikes approaching me. Got my head caved in over that stinking Huffy bike and a nice black eye to boot.  

Moral of story: be glad you didn't have to endure any physical violence over a bike.

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was a green Gary Fischer Gitchee Gummee
View Quote

[b]Huh!?!?[/b]   [rolleyes]
View Quote

That's the make & model. GF's all have weird model names. it's pronounced Gi-chee Goo-mee.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, if it makes you feel better, I had my bike TAKEN, not stolen, from me when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. I let my guard down for 2 seconds.

I should have been more alert when I saw six boys on five bikes approaching me. Got my head caved in over that stinking Huffy bike and a nice black eye to boot.  

Moral of story: be glad you didn't have to endure any physical violence over a bike.

View Quote

yeah, i guess i'm lucky. I'm 6'1 and 185 so i don't think anyone would beat me up though. It would REALLY suck if someone stole the bike if it was just sitting around unlocked; something i do to much if i'm just going into 7-11 or whatever. It'll ALWAYS be locked up from now on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Lost a Joshua Z1 from my house about 3 years ago.  XTRed out, race ready.  Bastards took everything related to the bike, the workstand, the tools, and my extra parts.  Wished I was home when they did that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
DRUGS![:(]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had quite a few bikes stolen when I was growing up. Sorry to hear about it. On a lighter note, someone could photoshop a picture of that guy from the WTC observation deck onto a bicycle. He is probably the culprit. He does get around...
View Quote

heh heh...thats good.

I've been pretty lucky considering i [accidentaly] left the bike in my drive way on a few occasions and rarely locked it up when just going to a store. you can be DAMN SURE that I learned my lesson.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn if you can make 100 bucks from stealing a bike I should start doing that on the side to bring in a little extra cash.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DRUGS![:(]
View Quote

Probably. There's an INSANE amount of weed in my town. It's not like the bike was top of the line (although it was still damn good). The only reason someone WOULD steal it would probably be drugs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, my big wheel was stolen too. And I've been stuck here at the house ever since. BASTARDS!!!

Sorry to hear about it kid. Can I send you a valium or something else to help you calm down??? [:D]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
LI Shooter, are you in luck.  Brands is having a 3 day sale next weekend.  I picked up my Trek Mountain bike for 100 bucks under the regular price.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Fisher SuperCaliber I bought in 1992 that's in excellent condition with Marzocchi Bomber suspension fork. It's seven speed Shimano/SunTour. I live in California. I'd go with $400 plus shipping, maybe. I'll give you more details if this interests you.

It's silver, aluminum frame, 1 1/4" steerer. Good stuff, just outdated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LI Shooter, are you in luck.  Brands is having a 3 day sale next weekend.  I picked up my Trek Mountain bike for 100 bucks under the regular price.
View Quote

thanks for the info. I probably won't be able to have the $$ for a bike till mid-late winter, however.

BTW, where is brands?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Brands is in Wantagh, just east of the Wantagh Parkway on Sunrise Highway.  If you can wait until Spring, that's when they have their other major sale.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Bet you wish you were in Az. Last week a guy leaves his brand new Ford double cab truck running in front of the Circle K store and a guy jumps in and takes off. The guy comes out of the store and jumps in his friends truck and they chase the guy. He dials 911 as they pull up on the guy at an intersection and he shoots him dead. we heard the 911 call and the shots on the news. The cops took him downtown for questioning and released him.Don't steal trucks in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bet you wish you were in Az. Last week a guy leaves his brand new Ford double cab truck running in front of the Circle K store and a guy jumps in and takes off. The guy comes out of the store and jumps in his friends truck and they chase the guy. He dials 911 as they pull up on the guy at an intersection and he shoots him dead. we heard the 911 call and the shots on the news. The cops took him downtown for questioning and released him.Don't steal trucks in Phoenix.
View Quote

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  Thieves are some of the worst scum on the planet.  They rate next to murders and rapists in my book.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that I think of it, I have a POS Murray that is just sitting in my garage.  If you need some transportation and want it, lemme know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For all you Guys that have had your Bikes Stolen:

Don't use those Wimpy-Pimpy Cable Locks.

Get a real Heavy Duty Hardened Chain with Thick Links from the Hardware Store(They'll cut it to any length you want, 3 feet, 4 feet, 6 feet, etc.), cut a Sleeve for it from an old inner tube and slip the Chain through it so it doesn't scratch up your bike, and fasten it all together with a Huge Hardened Padlock.

Any Dirt Bag Thief attempting to steal your Bike will need an Oxy-Acetalyne Torch or a Diamond Impregnated Power Saw to cut through that Chain.... [^] A simple Bolt Cutter won't cut through Hardened Steel very easily, So they'll pass on your Bike and go steal one from some Mope who's using a Cable Lock that they can slice through in 5 seconds...Hee, hee...[:D]

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The best bike lock would be a Para Ordinance P14 with some hydra-shok's :-)

I guess you know to get a better lock now, also buy some stickers that say "proud to support the 2nd amendment" or "this bike is armed" or "I like to blow shit up"

Any of the above should do fine
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was 10 my brand new Mongoose BMX bike was stolen, I was heartbroken.  I had a feeling someone in the neighborhood stole it but I never saw it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top