Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 9:57:55 AM EDT
I just read that ALPA (Air Line Pilots Association) is circulating a petition, to ask federal officials to allow voluntary arming of flight crews.  This will be backed up with a "national suspension of service" if the government needs to be convinced of the gravity of the situation.

I sincerely hope that the Pilots of FedEx, AA, and Southwest will stand with us on this one.

We must NEVER again allow an event like that of 9/11.

Arming the pilots is the only way to guarantee that the aircraft will not be taken over by terrorists.

Together, we will make it happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This will be backed up with a "national suspension of service" if the government needs to be convinced of the gravity of the situation.

View Quote

That is a damn fine idea.  I hope enough of the pilots want to be armed to make it a significant demonstration.  they would need at leasr 60% suppport.

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm. Cops want to be armed 24/7, I bet the gov't won't have a problem with that until they retire, or switch careers.

But man, they have a hard time even entertaining the idea that a citizen with a gun(that knows how to use it) could actually be a benefit to society.  More power to the Airline pilots, I certainly hope they get their way.  If they can fly those, I'm sure they can learn how to operate a .45.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
if not guns, then they should at the minimum be issued boxcutters.

It would be a real eye-opener if all pilots and passengers refused to fly until the government stopped taking nail clippers and knitting needles and put security procedures that work into place.  This includes allowing pilots, leo's and licensed citizens to carry their firearms, or honoring a pilot/passenger strike to make it happen.

of course, this will never happen, but i wish the pilots all the luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Pilots ARE targets. It's their right to be armed and defend themselves and the passenger.

I hope only that if they want to CCW inside the airplane they are allowed only with .22 long rifle.

It's right the caliber the Israelis are using aboard the El Al flights to get rid of hijackers:
-No overpenetration (so you can shoot inside the airplane)
-No recoil (double tap fast and easy)
-Precision

Normally the target is not the vital area of the trunk, but only the head, since the hijackers can wear armour vests.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I already have a nice Wilson Combat conversion for the Kimber, so that is just fine with me.  -As long as I can carry 3 or 4 mags.

Actually, a nice titanium, or aluminium revolver would be just the ticket.  Just not S&W yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
We, US Airways pilots waiting for the green light!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dr. Ignatius Piazza of front sight was gracious enough to offer free training to any Pilot.  The only catch is the Airline has to request it.
Forcing the Airlines and the Government to to the right thing is difficult but not impossible.

Most non-pilots don't realize it, but almost all safety advances in aviation were a result of Union efforts (ALPA) and not the FAA.

I know that sounds like the Union spiel, but it happens to be true.

We just had a big win, two years ago, concerning Aircraft using intersecting runways.
The FAA had increased capacity beyond acceptable limits, and finally we had to "just say NO!"  Worked like a charm.  Now there are commonsense rules governing when and where we can land and hold short of a runway.  Safety was increased dramatically.

So I know that if ALPA votes to make this an issue.  We will prevail.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Living near Detroit Metro Airport there always seems to be some sort of conflict between the employees and management of North West.  It always seems as if the employees get there way.  Hopefully enough of the pilots make this an issue and push to be armed.

The increased security inside the airport is bunch of BS.  The government is looking at the situation all wrong.  They are trying to prevent all weapons from getting aboard the airplane and as such there is no reason for the pilots to be armed.  However, a plastic letter opener can stab someone just as bad if not worse than a box cutter and it will go right through the metal detector.  A piece of glass can slice someone just as well as a knife and that too can get through the metal detector.  if it came down to it, someone's shoe lace could be used to strangle the crew.  The situation has to be looked at not as how to prevent all weapons from getting aboard, but assuming that there will be multiple weapons on board and determining the best way to keep control in that situation.  In addition to armed air marshals, arming the pilots is the only other alternative.  Congress needs to hear from you on this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Exactly, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that gets frustrated when the Government just doesn't "Get It"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top