Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 8:25:18 PM EDT

I have not seen it for a long time I was told that they had gone out of business after the Y2K thing but I don't know if thats true or not. Also are there any other magazines out there that are like it thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Tayous1

They changed the name of the magazine to
"Self Reliance Journal". However, I haven't received an issue for a couple of months so they may have gone belly-up by now. Anyone else??
Raptor
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it called American Reliance or something like that now?

Anything with the word "survival" attached to it conjures up the image of gun wielding, militia-linked, inbred wacko's.  Well, as far as the media is concerned, that is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
And what wrong with that??[:D]

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Except for the Inbred Wacko part.  We all know who will survive when the going gets tough.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tayous1

They changed the name of the magazine to
"Self Reliance Journal". However, I haven't received an issue for a couple of months so they may have gone belly-up by now. Anyone else??
Raptor
View Quote

Does anyone know if the have a web site or anything? Also are there any other ones like this out there?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Its now called "Backwoods Magazine" (I think, just got last issue a while back, don't have it here with me.  First thing I noticed was that they don't use glossy paper, went to something like telephone book paper.  I guess after you read the mag, it can serve double duty in the out house.  The editor has an ongoing article about how there is too much government control over us.  I kinda agree.  Other than that it is very woodcraft.  Don't rember any gun articles.  "Self Reliance Magazine" went under and Backwoods agreed to honor remaining subscriptions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
American Survival Guide's publishers got bought out by a liberal company and forced them to tone down the guns and political articles. That was the beginning of the magazine's downfall. The gun cover pics where the first to go, then Peter Alan Kasler's column and finally Jim Benson's editorials resembled nothing but a "what's in this issue" blurb. After Y2K, ASG was changed to Self Reliance Journal and featured really valuable articles (NOT) like "have all of the comforts of home while outdoors by using the latest yuppie camping equipment". A far cry from the useful how-to articles on how to conduct and protect a bug out convoy.

Less than a year later, the staff from ASG/SRJ got summarily released and the magazine disappeared forever...UNTIL Jim Benson brought it back in the format of the good old days in electronic form:

[url]modernsurvival.net/[/url]

[img]modernsurvival.net/cover8101.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You folks are all kind of right.  I was a subscriber to American Survival/Reliance...  This stuff that I am telling you has been written in the previous issues of Backwoods Magazine.  Backwoods Magazine's owner bought the membership of American Survival for $1, and he is giving everybody free subscription to his magazine hoping that he would pickup some more ciruclation, this is actually costing him some real money.  The balance of the subscription of American Survival has been shifted to Guns Magazine with Jan Libourel as editor.

The reason American Survival was changed to Self-Reliance was becasue the owner of the publishing group Yee-Visionary's owner died, and his widow was a Bill Clinton supporter, and of course Jim Benson being a patriot was bashing Clinton, so the widown told Benson to cut the Clinton bashing and de-emphaize the gun aspects, and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup, damn Clinton, I read them from the tim ethat they were Shooter's Guide......when will  the Clinton madness stop
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The general news media talking heads such as Dan Blather, and Tom Brokjaw etc, just can't beleive that Bill Clinton is gone, and a conservative is at the helm.  These folks are so enarmoured with Clinton, that they do a Freudian slip and call him "president."  Of course they catch themselves, and say that is "former prez." That has happen mutlitple times and I don't watch TV news that often anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#12]
here's what I got in reply from "Backwoods Home Magazine".

-Hi Mark, we took over the database of Self-Reliance Journal. This means that
we now send our magazine to their subscribers. We did not buy their
publication. Y Visionary publications, was the publisher of  SRJ, they
publish about ten other magazines. With the name change they also changed
the look, and content which was the downfall of the magazine.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Ron Graham
Operations Manager
Backwoods Home Magazine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top