Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 6:27:58 PM EDT
Was just curious if people still built Bomb/NBC shelters. I once saw an ad for a company that pre built them but can't find them any more.

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably lots of old plans in your local library left over from Cold War information.

It was really mostly a bunch of hooey. It would take a wealthy person with a civil engineering degree to build something that would actually work. Especially to support life while the lingering effects of radiation slowly subsided.

Most of the rest just provided a catastrophic place for the family to huddle together while they died slowly.

BTW: Don't you understand that under the terms of the The Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty (1972) Civil Defense is an Act of War?!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This company is run by Sharon Packer.  
She's very well respected in the NBC training community.

It takes huge $$ to do this the right way though...

[url]www.netoriginals.com/uss/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Check Cheaper-Than-Dirt, I remember seeing in the Catalog in Fall just before Y2K they had a shelter that was all nylon/plastic... it looked like a huge milk jug!

It had molded steps down into the shelter and molded benches to sleep on...

Just dig a big hole in the ground and bury it.  I think it was like $600 bucks?

M.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.radiusdefense.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Did any of you see that house in Washington state? It's a nice tri-level, 2100 sq. feet, average suburban house. I read on the web page, and I don't know if it's possible, but they stated that the owner built a 4 story shelter under the house, with a 6,000 lb. main blast door, generator, water, ventilation, etc. and now I guess he died and his relatives are selling it for $329,000. Anyway, it sounds like BS because they stated he dug out the shelter by himself using a shovel. This was over a peroid of years. Strange stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you look into buying one of those now unused missile silos out west?  They were designed to survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.  I've seen several magazine and TV pieces about people who have bought them and converted them to dwellings.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
During the Reagan years, someone suggest this shelter for a Nuclear strike.

"Remove a door from it's hinges, dig a ditch in the backbyard, lay in the ditch with the door over you."

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top