Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2001 6:27:58 PM EDT
Was just curious if people still built Bomb/NBC shelters. I once saw an ad for a company that pre built them but can't find them any more. Clinth
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:42:46 PM EDT
Probably lots of old plans in your local library left over from Cold War information. It was really mostly a bunch of hooey. It would take a wealthy person with a civil engineering degree to build something that would actually work. Especially to support life while the lingering effects of radiation slowly subsided. Most of the rest just provided a catastrophic place for the family to huddle together while they died slowly. BTW: Don't you understand that under the terms of the The Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty (1972) Civil Defense is an Act of War?!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:30:27 PM EDT
This company is run by Sharon Packer. She's very well respected in the NBC training community. It takes huge $$ to do this the right way though... [url]www.netoriginals.com/uss/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:07:28 AM EDT
Check Cheaper-Than-Dirt, I remember seeing in the Catalog in Fall just before Y2K they had a shelter that was all nylon/plastic... it looked like a huge milk jug! It had molded steps down into the shelter and molded benches to sleep on... Just dig a big hole in the ground and bury it. I think it was like $600 bucks? M.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:21:22 AM EDT
[url]http://www.radiusdefense.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:59:10 AM EDT
Did any of you see that house in Washington state? It's a nice tri-level, 2100 sq. feet, average suburban house. I read on the web page, and I don't know if it's possible, but they stated that the owner built a 4 story shelter under the house, with a 6,000 lb. main blast door, generator, water, ventilation, etc. and now I guess he died and his relatives are selling it for $329,000. Anyway, it sounds like BS because they stated he dug out the shelter by himself using a shovel. This was over a peroid of years. Strange stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:08:41 AM EDT
Why don't you look into buying one of those now unused missile silos out west? They were designed to survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon. I've seen several magazine and TV pieces about people who have bought them and converted them to dwellings.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 1:58:12 PM EDT
During the Reagan years, someone suggest this shelter for a Nuclear strike. "Remove a door from it's hinges, dig a ditch in the backbyard, lay in the ditch with the door over you."
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:43:12 PM EDT
Top Top