Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 4:28:18 PM EDT
I just purchased a Norinco M-14 and well I love the gun so don't bother with knocking it. However there is a weird plate on the buttstock of the weapon that I have never seen before. It is metal first off and it is on a hinge connected to the top of the buttstock. It can be lifted to a 90 degree angle from the stock so that if you were to shoulder the rifle it would rest on the top of your shoulder. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it is designed for use when in full auto? Too keep the buttstock from pulling and/or slipping under the shoulder? Also just for my sake, does anyone know if it is possible to find the manufacture date of these things. My reciever is stamped 00395 for the serial #. I'd just like to know how old and how many series there may have been of this rifle. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I guess you can knock the gun if ya want:)
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
UH?
I never saw an M14 without the hinged buttplate.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My recently purchased Springfield M1A didn't have the hinged stock, but I've since replaced that stock with one that does have the hinged plate. I love em. That rifle nestles into my shoulder like no other. Feels like an extention of myself.

Sorry, I can't answer the original question, I just wanted to comment on how much I like the M14/M1A stock....
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a Norinco M-14 also. Ser # C073XX  Mine came with the hinged buttplate.  The Polytech I have also has the hinged buttplate and came with a GI type cleaning kit installed in the butt. It is possible that someone could have shortened the stock and installed a new buttplate.  I've seen this before.  Be advised that after about 600 rounds my Norinco head space has increased to the point that the primers start to protrude from the fired cases.  I'm thinking about putting in a new GI bolt.

ps: a surplus GI stock fits nicely on the action.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually like the stock the way it is, it's just not something I had ever seen or heard of. In my opinion it does make the rifle feel like it is a part of you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The early M14's used a Garand butt plate before going to the hinged style and are quite hard to find. Some commercial stock makers have also made M1A stocks that take the M1 B-plate.... Tan...
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I was thinking of getting the chinese upgrade on this old boy, but maybe not? I am going in a few days to check headspacing, before I fire the rifle. Does anybody know how the value of the rifle can be affected with the upgrade? More or less?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I was thinking of getting the chinese upgrade on this old boy, but maybe not? I am going in a few days to check headspacing, before I fire the rifle. Does anybody know how the value of the rifle can be affected with the upgrade? More or less?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Edblevi,

Like you I was able to buy a Chinese M14s cheap, I have a polytech with a 0032XX serial no. And like you I was going to replace this and that on the weapon. Still haven't and probably the only thing that is gonna be changed is the stock for a nice USGI Birch or walnut stock.

The rifle is a shooter, mine does 1.5-2 MOA with military ammo. Think that's more than acceptable for a military rifle without any other tweaks to barrel and action.

Just shoot it

Kuiper
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The hinged buttplate is USGI manufactured, the commercial knockoffs do not have the hinged buttplate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know what Polytech M14s serial #s are "preban"?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, mine has this 0032XX serial. KFS(Keng Firearm Specialties) markings on the barrel, supposedly they were in business before the foreign rifle parts ban in the US. Also, I have a working flashhider(some poly's have a fake FH) and bayolug that is compatible with the M8 bayonet(Some chinese barrels had their bayolugs out of spec).

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]
According to my ex-brother in law, the buttplate is flipped up and used when firing the rifle from the prone position.  It helps keep the rifle in position.  He should know, he carried an M-14 in Vietnam and worked a frightful slaughter with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top