Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 8:04:16 AM EDT
"Terrorist"
I posted the following over at another board. I decided to post it here because membership is much higher.
 posted October 02, 2001 11:38 AM                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not a tongue in cheek question. I'm dead serious. I'll answer my own question then explain. I'm more afraid of my gov't.
OK I'm speaking as a citizen of MD one of the most anti- gun states in the nation. On Sept 11 we where invaded and the Prez has said we are at war. My own State law states that ALL able-bodied citizens of MD are part of the Militia. ( I'm paraphrasing) there are exclusions. So why haven't I started to carry a firearm as any GOOD Militiaman should? Because I'm afraid of getting arrested for carrying a firearm. I'm more afraid of getting arrested by my own gov't then protecting myself from those who have invaded our soil.
For years we have discused at nauseum the loss of our freedoms. We'll here in MD we have none.
As far as I'm concerned the whole U.S. should look like Israel. Where people walk down the street with a M-16 slung over their shoulder. But we are afraid. Sad so Sad.
How is it in your State?

Also who is the true enemy of freedom?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Be afraid of both. Terrorism is bad for obvious reasons. Government can be good or awful or someplace in between.

I think there is a wave of knee jerk reactions since the attack. I worry that rights will be restricted. A lot of the reaction right now seems to be re-assuring the public kinda stuff, NG in airports, increased security......I wonder where it will go.

I am also concernend when every Tom, Dick and Harry are packing heat. I can lose my life as easily because of some dumb-ass, as I could be effected by the government or terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I fear losing liberty no matter who the potential agent of restriction is...
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire: a dangerous servant and a terrible master."

This is a useless statement because it was made by an isolationist, named George Washington whose outdated views have no place in todays society.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire: a dangerous servant and a terrible master."

This is a useless statement because it was made by an isolationist, named George Washington whose outdated views have no place in todays society.
View Quote

Anti-Semite!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I am afriad of my govt, simply because they (the polititian) will stay in power by passing "feel good" legislation that really does nothing to the proplem becuase terorism will not follow the letter of the law anyway, what it does do is limit my capacity to defend my self....
to those that say what do i have to defend myself against ... as two weeks ago nobody thaught [b]two[/b] plane would crash into NYC..
what will happen tommorow? who knows . I do know that the defense of my family is squarely on my shoulders and not on the 911 operator.

[:\]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you behind the lines.  Here we can walk around with a rifle over our shoulder.  Tuesday I carried open.  No one here even blinks.  In fact if you have a police looking basketweave leather rig most people think you are a cop and feel all the more comfortable.  Carry concealed, carry open.  Keep em guessing.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
At this time the right to carry is not an issue at least not yet. the issue is that when the rifle is on your shoulders or carrying ethier conceled or open and JANE SMITH says that bothers her, you will be stopped and ask{read told} to stop and/or leave the area...
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Terrorists-will attempt to make me afraid or change my lifestyle by killing people far away from me
Government-will attempt to make me afraid or change my lifestyle by robbing from my paycheck every two weeks, taking away my right to defend myself, put limits on almost every facet of my life everyday, and incarcerate or shoot me if I do not agree with their view of my  lifestyle.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I am banging my head on my desk realizing this is true, wondering how we let it get that way..

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
there is a difference? [:\]

really thought the difference is in legal power. the government may strip you of your right to life and property. a terrorist is vigilante governor or controlling authority. both do not use logic or reason, but other then for their own benefit.

please note that i am refering to a government that does not conform to the rule of law. governments are inherently evil, because the growth is unchecked and balanced. should a government suffer checks and balances, then it is government i support.

never give a tyrant tools to build lib
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Edited because in this time of war we all need to stay positive and supportive of our Government.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top