Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2001 4:48:52 AM EDT
Do you feel Grey Hound shutting down national service yesterday was justified, or a knee jerk overreaction?

Personally, I do believe it was a terrorist attack, but not OBL.  I don't really think Grey Hound should have shut down.

Will we evacuate all American schools when we have the next shooting?  How about the next office shooting?

Are we looking for bogey men everywhere?  Can our country function if we "play it safe" and over react to every threat?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
no opinions?

Vital question folks, this is going to impact our daily lives.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO--a major overreaction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that this soon after the WTC that they might have handled the situation correctly.
I have to admit that I'm not sure how long service was halted, if it was only a short time then no harm was done by being cautious.
Having a report that outlines behavior used by the WTC terrorists nobody really knew what was going on.
Honestly, who didn't think for a minute that it could be directly related?

I have been telling the guys at work that they should expect many more incidents like this in the next few months. The way the national news has been covering everything that has happened some people will try to get their few minutes of fame.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it was probably an overreaction, but I'm confused by the word "justified".  It's a private business, and they may do as they see fit.  The only people to whom they must "justify" anything would be their stockholders.  
I imagine one factor in the decision was the thought of the lawsuits that would be filed if they DIDN'T shut down, and more such incidents happened.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Where do we draw the line?

Do we evacuate all stadiums in the country when a bomb threat is called into one of them, or a shooting occurs?

Do we evac all schools across the country when the next school shooting occurs?  The next workplace shooting?

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
These terrorists are laughing their asses off.  Let's assume that the incident was unrelated to 9/11.  They know that everything like this that happens is going to scare the shit out of everyone and cause major disruptions.  Mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
At first I thought that shutting down the system was an over-reaction. Then I thought about it and changed my mind. What happened yesterday? Someone gained control of a Greyhound bus, cut the drivers throat and crashed the bus. Sound familiar? When the first plane hit the World Trade Tower who woulda thunk other planes were involved? Since 9/11 I sincerely hope that the guys in charge of Amtrack and Greyhound asked themselves, "what if"? To shut the system down was probably a pre-planned response to any similar attack. This was a similar attack. It took time to discover the incident was unrelated to terrorism. Think about it- if one Greyhound crashed, then another we'd all be asking why the alarm wasn't raised. A terrorist attack on the bus/trains of America is not unthinkable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
next time there is a natural disaster I say we evacuate the planet!

better safe than sorry.

GH really over reactted!

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At first I thought that shutting down the system was an over-reaction. Then I thought about it and changed my mind. What happened yesterday? Someone gained control of a Greyhound bus, cut the drivers throat and crashed the bus. Sound familiar? When the first plane hit the World Trade Tower who woulda thunk other planes were involved? Since 9/11 I sincerely hope that the guys in charge of Amtrack and Greyhound asked themselves, "what if"? To shut the system down was probably a pre-planned response to any similar attack. This was a similar attack. It took time to discover the incident was unrelated to terrorism. Think about it- if one Greyhound crashed, then another we'd all be asking why the alarm wasn't raised. A terrorist attack on the bus/trains of America is not unthinkable.
View Quote

An airplane hit a 120 story building.  That a has never happened.  Buses crash all the time, there is a huge difference.

And even so, we can not paralyze this country everytime something is remotely suspicious.

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it was probably an overreaction, but I'm confused by the word "justified". It's a private business, and they may do as they see fit. The only people to whom they must "justify" anything would be their stockholders.
View Quote

The stockholders will want to know why the company lost a day's worth of revenue, plus hurt its reputation with current and potential customers.

Did the shutdown really accomplish anything?  The buses that were already on the road finished their routes so if there'd been another terrorist on board, he still could have carried out his mission.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Given that there was several Bomb threats called into Bus Stations, all around the country, within a few mins of each other, and at least one on a bus, yes they did the right thing.  All of this within a hour or less of the attack in Tenn.

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Idiots, psychopaths, losers craving attention and drunken kids call in bomb threats.  Terrorists simply blow stuff up and yell "Jihad"!

They may have shut down and checked it out simply to make their customers feel a bit safer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top