Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2001 1:35:37 PM EDT
I am sure to be flamed for this, but I have to get it off my chest.

Why is it that those who died at the Pentagon are getting the least amount of press?  I of course realize that the number of missing and dead at the WTC exceeds 5,000 people, but does that make those that died in the Pentagon less important?

The argument that the military is expected to die doesn't wash with me.  If that is true, than we need to stop the 9-11 funds for the police and firemen.  Both of those job fields are also high risk and those that died at the WTC 'were just doing their job'.

Believe me, I am not trying to detract from the fact that some 250+ firemen and police died while rescuing those at the WTC.  But the fact remains that those that died at the Pentagon, and in Pennsylvania are no less important.  It just really annoys me that the Pentagon and PA are either forgotten, or thrown in as an afterthought on nearly every fund-raiser that I have seen.

It has been over a year now and there has been no justice for my brothers and sisters who died on the USS Cole.  Most in this country have already forgotten about them, and the sacrifice that they made.

I am proud to say that those of us in the Navy have not forgotten them.  On October 12, the USS Cole Memorial will be dedicated at Norfolk Naval Station.  This memorial was paid for by 1.2 million in private funds.  The remainder of the funds that did not get used are being used for college education and other future benefits for the 11 children of the sailors that were killed.

I can not say for sure, but I have yet to hear of a fund like this for those lost at the Pentagon.  33 more of my brothers and sisters have paid the ultimate price.  The number lost by the Army was even larger, and they may be forgotten as well.

For all of you that are giving to funds for the WTC, I also ask that you research a possible donation to a fund for those lost at the Pentagon.

Regards.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll just have to learn to live with it. Spent 20 years in service, been out 25. Military has always been hated by many in the United States. Just watch for the "Anti-War (Military) Demonstrations to start picking up as we move forward in this "War on Terrorism" evolution. I stepped off the Plane in San Francisco in April 1969 returning from Vietnam. I cannot tell you what we had to go through. If we would have been armed they would have needed a whole bunch of "Body Bags" for the "Hippie, Dope Head, Demonstrators" that greeted us. I even was harassed at Yosemite National Park as was trout fishing and was wearing my Jungle Greens. God, what COWARDS we have in this country. End of Rant!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
BAT, these people have NO clue. Maybe they should visit the Korean War Memorial and read the wall "FREEDOM IS NOT FREE". Your service does not go un-noticed or un-appreciated by me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My mentor did a tour with the USMC in RVN in '69-70.  When he returned to the states some hippie chick spat on his uniform in the San Francisco terminal.  He unleashed a typical Jarhead verbal assualt that caused her to cry.  Her boyfriend felt he had to come to her rescue, which earned him an ass kickin'.  The cops hauled my friend out of the airport...and let him go.  One of the cops was a former Marine.  

Sometimes, the good guys win.

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like Sean Connery said in the movie 'The Presidio'.

This won't be word for word, but it was something like this:

The military is like that big ugly dog someone keeps in the basement.  When friends are over, the dog is kept out of sight.  But, if someone is breaking into the house, that big ugly dog better tear them a new asshole or he's going to be swatted in the mouth with a rolled up newspaper.

Of course that did not apply during the Clinton years.  The big ugly dog was basically put to sleep during those years except when Billy Bob was caught with his pants down (pun intended).

During the 60s and 70s, if you were in a military uniform, you expected to be hassled by morons and usually weren't dissapointed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I agree with StingerPup 100 percent.  The Pentagon is loaded with civilians, including tourists, on any given business day, and the plane that hit it was filled with civilians including small children.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
didn't 007 have missles on his auto,,hate to detract from the loss of life at the Pentagon, but don't you think that shouldn't they have had some sort of protection,,,go figure its the "pentagon" I almost feel like saying shame on them,,no really shame on them,,,thats how I feel,,,damm it it is the Pentagon,,,no way of defending themselves,,gee are they not in the military? Stupid Ficks
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'll just have to learn to live with it. Spent 20 years in service, been out 25. Military has always been hated by many in the United States.
View Quote

So very sorry, I can't just 'live with it'.  I've got over 18 years in the military as it is, and if I get picked up it will be more.  

As a vet, I can't believe that you'd even try to suggest this.  So what if the military is hated by many in the US.  I'd venture a guess that there are more vets and 'pro'-military than those that are against.  And adopting a 'just live with it' attitude will not help change the situation.

I make sure that I at least skim my VFW mag every month to ensure that the vets of this country don't get screwed again.  It happens entirely to often, and appears that it may be happening again.

And I want to go on record that I am not attacking you.  It's just that if you have voiced this opinion, that means there are others out there who feel the same, but just haven't said it.  This is what bothers me....

Regards...

[Edited due to big fingers....]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
didn't 007 have missles on his auto,
View Quote

Well, last time I checked, 007 was a fictional character.

hate to detract from the loss of life at the Pentagon, but don't you think that shouldn't they have had some sort of protection,,,go figure its the "pentagon"
View Quote

They did have 'some sort of protection'.  At the time of the attack the building was being reinforced, and the windows were being replaced with blast-resistant (notice I didn't say 'proof') glass.  At the time, the threat was more from car bombs, etc than from diving aircraft.

I almost feel like saying shame on them,,no really shame on them,,,thats how I feel,,,damm it it is the Pentagon,,,no way of defending themselves,,gee are they not in the military? Stupid Ficks
View Quote

There is one building (or is it two?) in the DC area that is protected by SA missiles.  And up to this time, there was no suspected threat to the Pentagon from the air.  And, if I am not mistaken, if we put too many SA defenses in the area, we are in violation of the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.

I hate to say it, but you missed the entire point of my post.

Regards.......

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am sure to be flamed for this...  Regards.....
View Quote

... from this crowd?

... I think not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top