Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2001 3:24:19 AM EDT
Breaking news - CNN is reporting that a greyhound bus crashed after traveling across the median, killing 10 on board.

This occurred near Manchester, Tennessee.

Reports are that a passenger [b]slit the throat of the driver, causing the crash![/b]

Check CNN for details.

Eric The(Oh,No,ThisCan'tBeHappening!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The CNN morning news anchor said reports indicated the driver's throat had been slashed -
the crawl at the bottom of the screeen just says: 'Driver was reportedly attacked'

We shall see, I'm certain, very shortly. [>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
MANCHESTER, Tennessee (CNN) -- Greyhound halted nationwide bus service Wednesday morning after a bus crash in Manchester, Tennessee, that killed four people, a company spokeswoman said.

A passenger told CNN affiliate WTVF that a rider had slit the throat of the driver.

Victims were being airlifted to hospitals in Nashville to the north and Chattanooga to the south. Although Greyhound reported four dead, Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville said 10 people had died.

Spokeswoman Kristen Parsley said the company is capable of contacting drivers on the road to tell them to halt service.

"Greyhound officials felt we need to do that as a precaution," Parsley said. She said anyone who feared loved ones may have been on the bus, which was traveling from Nashville to Atlanta, Georgia, could call 1-800-884-2744 for information. Carly Rinearson, a passenger on the bus, said in a phone call to WTVF that a man kept asking if he could have her seat near the front of the bus.

Rinearson said when she refused to give up her seat, "He just went up to the bus driver and like slit his throat. And the bus driver turned the wheel and the bus tipped over."

The bus, thought to have been carrying around 35 passengers, was on its side in the median of Interstate 24, according to Parsley. The accident occurred near the intersection of I-14 and state Highway 41 near mile marker 105, police said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm certainly glad we have witnesses who can identify the man responsible! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a case of "stupid person syndrome" rather than a hijacking.

Why can't these people just stay home and shoot themselves in the bathroom like the old days?

Av.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why can't these people just stay home and shoot themselves in the bathroom like the old days?

Av.
View Quote

Well said!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Not shot, but if they stabbed themselves or hung themselves, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep.

Thank god it wasn't a gun that was used.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/486826_buscrash03e.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Now they say the attacker is alive and holds a Croatia ID
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
OK - So we have a guy with a Croatian ID card using similar methods to those used in airline hijackings.  Repeatedly asking what time it was before slitting the driver's throat.

Feds are saying it appears unrelated to Sept 11 attacks and doesn't seem to be terrorist related.

Hmmm - I wonder if they would tell us if it was.  Wouldn't want to cause a panic or anything.  Wouldn't want to fuel anti-arab sentiment.

Could be a random act of violence I suppose.  I wonder.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Now would be the time to mention that firearms are not allowed on Greyhounds, even in the luggage compartment, unloaded and locked in a case...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#13]
From Greyhounds website:

Are any items prohibited from checked baggage?
Yes. Prohibited items include acids, [b]ammunition[/b], animals, combustible liquids, compressed gases, explosives, [b]firearms of all types,[/b] fireworks, flammable liquids, furniture, hazardous materials (poisons, radioactive materials, etc.), materials with a disagreeable odor, matches, merchandise for resale, protruding articles, or any unsecured articles including those in plastic or paper bags. Electronic equipment (television, stereos, etc.), film (flammable), and perishable items (food) may be sent using Greyhound Package Express with appropriate packing. Items such as money and prescription medication may not be checked as baggage and are to be carried in the customer's possession.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like another case of an attacker knowing his victem was unarmed.  When will people learn.  Now is the time to push for a national permit to CCW.  I wonder how Homeland Defense Secretary Tom Ridge feels about this?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Now would be the time to mention that firearms are not allowed on Greyhounds, even in the luggage compartment, unloaded and locked in a case...
View Quote

Does Greyhound actually search passengers and their luggage to enforce that policy?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OK - So we have a guy with a Croatian ID card using similar methods to those used in airline hijackings.  Repeatedly asking what time it was before slitting the driver's throat.

Feds are saying it appears unrelated to Sept 11 attacks and doesn't seem to be terrorist related.

Hmmm - I wonder if they would tell us if it was.  Wouldn't want to cause a panic or anything.  Wouldn't want to fuel anti-arab sentiment.

Could be a random act of violence I suppose.  I wonder.....
View Quote

I agree it is what is not being said that is interesting.  Was it a white man, black man, asian, or middle eastern? - That is the obvious question in my mind -and everyone elses.  Seems like a key detail don't you think.  Even the witness didn't state it which makes me believe she was told not to.  The FBI is on the scene to let everyone know it was not a terrorist attack.  If they just got on the scene how would they know?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I caught this on CNN this morning, I heard the man described as terrosist looking. I assume that means mid-eastern looking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
They said on the news it was random, damn I wanted to be a "Bus Marshall" and interact with all the types that ride on them!!!

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I caught this on CNN this morning, I heard the man described as terrosist looking. I assume that means mid-eastern looking.
View Quote

WTF does that mean?

OK, I am all for suspicious behavior, but "terrorist looking"  Puh-lease!

That is SCARY!

Germany 1938:  Jewish Looking
America 1943: Japanese looking

Sad days,

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Has the "Stench" of a "Wannabe Copy Cat". I believe that the "Terrorists" that we still have in this country or elsewhere either want to take out hundred's of civilians at one time or take down "National Monuments" or "Symbols" that represent America. Other possible targets would be ones that would disrupt transportation, etc. If the "Terrorists" are going to comment "Suicide", they are going to make it costly. Greyhound Bus just doesn't fit.
Derailing a train would fit.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Im sorry I should have said this in my 1st post. CNN didn't desribe him as terrorist looking. It was one of the passengers, a younger women by the sounds of her.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone want to take bets that he is either here in this country on a work or student visa?

I'll post more on this as more facts come in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmm . . . evil assault box cutter used by the perp.  Come on Feinstein, Sarah, Schumer, etc.!  Save us from this menace!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sounds like another case of an attacker knowing his victem was unarmed.  When will people learn.  Now is the time to push for a national permit to CCW.  I wonder how Homeland Defense Secretary Tom Ridge feels about this?  
View Quote

when will we learn the the Politicians are not here for us .... we will keep just enough scrap to get us quiet....

btw- I wonder how much a pre-ban box cutter will cost....

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Greyhound actually search passengers and their luggage to enforce that policy?
View Quote

I can't confirm that one way or another. I knew about them not allowing weapons because I wanted to ride Greyhound to visit my dad out of state a few years back and was going to take some toys with me. Gave them a call and NO. Don't know if they actively search for weapons (they sure as Hell will now), but I've heard of drug dogs being used at the Greyhound stations before. So...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The Taliban (spelling?) said that they declared a holy war on the US and would target Americans no matter where they were.  Maybe this guy just thought he was doing his part.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The minute I heard of the bus-attack, I figured some moslem terrorist did it.  Till I hear differently, that is my opinion.  Hope the truth comes out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Why the hell are we being told this was not a terrorist attack.  The perp is from croatia, the victims on the bus were terrified.  what more is needed to qualify?    
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why the hell are we being told this was not a terrorist attack.  The perp is from croatia, the victims on the bus were terrified.  what more is needed to qualify?    
View Quote

Croatia is not a Muslim country.  Of course, it's quite possible that this guy was a Muslim from elsewhere in the Balkans with a fake ID.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top