Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 11:30:33 AM EDT
Dave Matthews, Alanis, STP Set To Salute John Lennon
(10/2/01, 1 p.m. ET) -- Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews, Stone Temple Pilots, Moby, and Nelly Furtado are among the acts set to honor John Lennon in front of live and television audiences tonight (October 2). Come Together: A Night For John Lennon's Words & Music will air live from Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall on both cable channel TNT and the WB broadcast network at 8 p.m. ET.

All performing acts will deliver renditions of Lennon songs, including "Dear Prudence" (Morissette), "In My Life" (Matthews), "Revolution" (Stone Temple Pilots), "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" (Marc Anthony), and "Strawberry Fields Forever" (Cyndi Lauper). Others participating in the event include the Isley Brothers, Lou Reed, Shelby Lynne, Yolanda Adams, Billy Preston, Craig David, Rufus Wainwright, and Lennon's son Sean Lennon.

Also appearing will be actors Dustin Hoffman, Ben Stiller, James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Julia Stiles, Steve Buscemi, and Tim Roth. Kevin Spacey will host the event and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics will perform and serve as musical director for a house band comprising top-notch session musicians.

Come Together: A Night For John Lennon's Words & Music was originally scheduled for taping on September 20 and airing on Lennon's birthday, October 9. However, last month's terrorist attacks prompted the event to be both rescheduled and aired live.

The event will [b]benefit[/b] New York City relief organizations, including the American Red Cross (news - web sites), September 11th Fund, the New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund, the Salvation Army, and the Twin Towers Fund, [b]in addition to the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March.[/b] Concert viewers will be directed to helping.org to make contributions.

-- Neal Weiss, Los Angeles and Sue Falco, New York

-----------------------------------------
Not a dime!  My money has already gone to organizations of my choice.  I like how they listed VPC at the bottom, kind of like a "by the way"

Also WARNING-WARNING this press announcement does not mention how much of the proceeds go to each group.  As far as I know this could be a major VPC/MMM fund raiser.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
i never really liked john lennon. he was OK through most of the 60's when he was still w/ the beatles, but after that (when he went solo) he really blew.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Those charities listed last were the ones originally meant to receive all the money. The other ones were only added after sept 11. It was and probably is still a concert dedicated to funding gun grabbers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
OK he did drugs, lots of them and let Yoko pose  naked? scary!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Fifth columnists, aiding the terrorist cause, by trying to sap the fighting spirit of the American people.

Pacifism is the fertiliser for evil.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Moby and Stone Temple Pilots' music, and I am proud to say I downloaded all of their MP3s from Napster. They will never see a dime from me. [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, John Lennon was fantastic, loved his music.  But this is all stemming from that complete crap song, Imagine.  I hate that song with all my heart. It is incredibly inappropriate given our enemies at the moment.

And Alanis Morrisette, that cunt.  She gave a concert here this summer, and protested ANWR development.  Idiot pop stars and their touchy feely politics...Canada is developing oil fields in the arctic unabated, and yet here she is, a Canadian, meddling with our business and economic growth. [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Post from raven -
And Alanis Morrisette, that cunt. She gave a concert here this summer, and protested ANWR development. Idiot pop stars and their touchy feely politics...Canada is developing oil fields in the arctic unabated, and yet here she is, a Canadian, meddling with our business and economic growth.
View Quote

Considering how porous the US-Canadian border has turned out to be, maybe we can slip that little bitch back over to Canada, without anyone being a wit the wiser!

I know I for one will not miss her music. Let her go entertain the friggin' caribou!

Eric The(No,ThatWouldn'tBeHumaneToTheCaribou)Hun[>]:)]  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top