Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2001 12:12:55 AM EDT
What constitutes the standard 1st aid kit used by individual combat troops (not the Medics)? As weird as it may sound, I've heard that "tampons" make good bullet-hole pluggers. True?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:42:41 AM EDT
Jeez, with all of the present and former Commandos up in here, you would think that SOMEONE would have the answer to this little question.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:55:04 AM EDT
[url]http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/21-11/fm2111.htm[/url] see appendix a-3
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:06:05 PM EDT
Well, you asked for individual combat troops, which I couldn't give you. However, my father-in-law was an EMT for a while and gave me some good tips. I've had limited training, but know the basics of first aid and how to use a few pieces of equipment that I carry in my kit. Basically, you stick to the basics. Any piece of equipment you don't know how to use is worthless. I have a large tackle box I use that contains the following: 1 large box assorted Band-Aids (tm) 1 box sterile gauze pads in several sizes 1 roll of gauze bandaging 1 roll of medical tape 1 pack burn strips 1 bottle hydrogen peroxide 1 bottle rubbing alcohol 1 bottle betadine 1 bottle itch/rash cream 1 ace bandage 1 bottle assorted pain relievers (aspirin/tylenol/advil) Assorted size tampons and pads 6 pairs latex gloves 1 pair of protective goggles 1 face mask 1 pack thermal strips for taking temperatures. 1 small flashlight (mini-mag) for viewing airways and working in low-light situations. 1 pen flashlight for checking pupils and tracking eyes in head injury cases. I've left out the specialized gear, which you won't need unless you've had proper training. If I were going to have a SHTF kit, I'd take out the rubbing alcohol, peroxide, and itch/rash cream. The betadine can be a multi-purpose antiseptic agent, and probably the biggest single item in the kit. Everything else should pack down nicely. And yes, tampons do work well for gunshot wounds, as they're designed to absorb blood. Pads work well too for dressing in a pinch as they too are designed to absorb blood. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:23:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:46:48 PM EDT
Crazy glue.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:17:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By QCMGR: Crazy glue.
View Quote
I saw this on the old, AR15.com board posted by an EMT guy, if you're gonna get Crzy Glue, get the medical version from a medical supply house because this on generates a lot less heat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:22:10 PM EDT
I'll throw in a couple of suggestions-- 1. Broad spectrum antibiotic. 2. Suture material and needles along with a couple of hemostats to use as needle holders. If you have a couple of left over pain killers from some medical procedure, you may want to throw them in--make sure they are in the prescription bottle just to be safe. Don't mix the OTC pain killers, keep a bottle of Asprin and Tylenol separately (allergies). Check expiration dates on the stuff and rotate it as best as possible. If you have a Dr. friend, he may be amenable to writing a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic for EMERGENCY use only (DON'T self dose antibiotics for colds, sore throat, etc--you may do much more harm than good). However, if you are out camping/hunting and are cut off for a couple of days and you have a medical emergency (animal bite, severe laceration, etc. that might develop into a deep infection), the antibiotics might help. I'll second the crazy glue, and would suggest also steri-strips and adaptic (wax coated gauze, so it doesn't stick to the wound). Dump the peroxide and alcohol and go with the betadine only. Throw in some tincture of green soap for surface washing and disinfection. Get a couple of loose alcohol wipes (small--in the pre-packaged towelette size packs)--the same thing they swab on your skin to clean it before drawing blood. And, if you can get hold of it, get an anaphalaxis kit to take care of allergic reactions.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:28:25 PM EDT
If you hike and camp a lot for extended durations, you'll probably end up with a variation of this check list. It doubles as an emergency kit. Many of the items have multiple uses. A lot of it seems redundant. A lot of it isn't first aid but prevention. If you pack it right, it doesn't take up a lot of space and doesn't weigh to much, although that is a subjective thing. I've got all this in a waterproof lexan container that fits great in the middle of my backpack. I never include stuff like a CPR mouth cover because I'm not ever going to need it. Medicines / Topical Treatments 10 - Extra Strength Tylenol 10 - Extra Strength Ibuprofen 10 – Aspirin *Tylenol 3 Anti-Diarrhea Medicine Anti-Nausea Medicine Laxatives *Prescription Broad Spectrum Antibiotics Antihistamine / Decongestant Triple Antibiotic Ointment Tums Hydrocortisone Cream Multi-Vitamins Sterile Eyewash / Saline Benadryl Burn Cream Chap Stick First Aid Tools & Miscellaneous First Aid Instruction Sheet Razor / Scalpel Tweezers Needle Scissors Magnifying Lens (Fresnal Lens) Surgical Rubber Tubing Snake Bite “Extractor” Kit Thermometer with Hard Case Large / Small Safety Pins Paper & Pencil for recording stats 3 - Ammonia Inhalants 4 – Hemostats 2 Pair - Sterile Latex Gloves Fingernail Clippers Space Blanket Duct Tape Tiny Flashlight Spare Contacts or Eyeglasses Bandages / Wound Care Moleskins and other Foot Care Sterile Gauze Pads Sterile Roll of Gauze 2”-3” Wide Waterproof Cloth Tape Triangle Bandage Sterile Sutures Kit Butterfly Closures Band-Aids Various Sizes 3 - 4” x 6” Sterile Bandage Liquid Bandage Cotton Swabs 2 Tongue Depressors Inflatable Leg Splint Inflatable Arm Splint Elastic “Ace” Bandage Eye Patch Clean & Sterilize Cigarette Lighter Antiseptic Wipes Small Bar of Ivory Soap Waterless Antibiotic Hand Cleaner Iodine or Non-Staining Disinfectant Toothbrush Tooth Powder Tampons or Pads Sterile Gloves Shelter Waterproof Tarp 550 lb tensile strenght Paracord Fire 3 – Small Pink Lady Candles Waterproof Matches in Container Flint & Steel 35mm Film Canister w/ Cotton Balls soaked in Petroleum Jelly 3 - Trioxane Compressed Fuel Packets Water Treatment Iodine Water Treatment Tablets Small Collapsible Pail Non-lubricated Condoms Large Ziplock Freezer Bags Pur Hiker Water Filter Emergency Food & Procurement Fishing Kit in 35mm film canister Dehydrated Stink Bait Snare Wire Milk Bones Multi Vitamins Herbal Tea Bags (caffeine free) Instant Bullion Cubes Signal Devices Cell Phone Whistle Signal Mirror Small Flare Gun 6 – Flares Surveyors Plastic Tape (international orange) 1 – High Intensity 30 min. Cyalume Stick 3 – Green Cyalume Sticks Small Radio (weather forecast) Sea Water Marker Coins and Paper Money for Phone Calls Essential Emergency Tools Wire or Chain Type Saw Sewing Kit Sharpening Stone
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:09:41 PM EDT
All of these are great, but let's scale down to the personal level; that a person might carry in a battlefield situation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:16:25 PM EDT
www.worldprep.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:47:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GeneStoner: All of these are great, but let's scale down to the personal level; that a person might carry in a battlefield situation.
View Quote
Crazy glue, alcohol, aspirin, topical antibiotic ointment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:20:07 PM EDT
The following list is certainly subject to error since I dumped mine out when it was issued to me because I'm a corpsman and have a whole medic bag for myself. In the box it came in I replaced it with my toothbrush/paste, shave kit and deodorant. The individual first aid kit attached to each Marine at the center of the web belt between the canteens on their back contains: 1 small bottle iodine solution 1 small bottle eye wash 1 packet of bandaids 1 combat dressing 1 triangular bandage There are probably a few more items but they are of minor impotance. I would add an Asherman chest seal or two, It's an occlusive dressing with adhesive around the edge of a circular piece of thin flexable plastic with a flutter valve in the center. This is for penetrating chest trauma shot/stab. This is as about as much as youd need to immediately manage an isolated injury. i.e. GSW (not multiple) To do that up the # of combat dressings. If you get into larger wounds it's time for the medic. Sherm
Top Top