Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2001 5:51:43 PM EDT
Wife says I have about a grand to spend.  Wants: Kimber Eclipse full size($1000), Other full size 1911 a little more plain (500-800), Springfield M1A ($1500 in california), Russian side by side (about $3-400), Styer Pro Hunter or Tactical in .270 or .308 ($800-1000), Another SKS but I may wait and see if the Yugos ever arrive, and a myriad of other lesser wants (M1 carbine 400, Russian M44 150, .45 LC Vacquero 400, other revolver, etc).

Not sure whether to blow the wad on the Eclipse, or get a cheaper 1911 and the side by side, Get a combination of the other guns, or save it and get the M1A later.  Ugh.

Other suggestions considered but I think I've got most of the other bases covered.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Spilt it between a 1911 and the Vaquero.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Kimber Eclipse is a very cool choice.

Why get a Rooskin side by side?  I think they are a bit questionable in quality and certainly in resale value.  Do you have a good over/under?

The M1A is nice, but that price is high.  Is Kalif that bad?  Pardon me, silly question.  And hi-caps, are they legal there for that rifle or not?

A good GI carbine, preferably without import marks, is nice.  Although is that legal in that state either?

Decisions, Decisions . . .
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Kimber.  It is sweeeet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Why get a Rooskin side by side?  I think they are a bit questionable in quality and certainly in resale value.  Do you have a good over/under?
View Quote

Want one just for fun.  Don't really want or need an O/U, friends have enought to satisfy me. Just want something different.  I thought the quality, at least relative to price, was pretty good on the EAA ones.

The M1A is nice, but that price is high.  Is Kalif that bad?  Pardon me, silly question.  And hi-caps, are they legal there for that rifle or not?
View Quote

You would not believe the prices here.  Last gunshow I went to some guys were asking 1700 for synthetic stocked standard M1As. But I have seen some as low as 1300.  20 rnd. mags are illegal to purchase or import. Yes, they sure are.

A good GI carbine, preferably without import marks, is nice.  Although is that legal in that state either?
View Quote

Yeah, they are still legal.  Mags are once again an issue though.

Yeah, mind keeps wandering back to that eclipse.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Any other advice???
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use the cash to move to a more gun friendly state, if possible.  Or move one state over and commute to work.
View Quote

Ya know, there is more to life than guns.  I actually have a very nice home, am near my family and friends, beach and skiing are both less than two hours away, and I like my life here.  Of course, that said, plans for a vacation home/farm in Nevada are already in the works.  About ten years out though.

As far as Cali's gun laws, they suck, but I don't NEED any more guns. The ones I want that I can't have I am willing to wait for.  I figure this is just an opportunity to spread my purchases away from black rifles.  If it wasn't for all these laws that would be about all I had. [;)]

OK, any more advice on the purchases.  Is the Kimber the way to go?  I want it but I guess I would be OK with just a regular full size 1911 and get something else as well.  Still looking for any advice from owners or people who know about any of these firearms.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, just gets tiring hearing "why don't you just move" constantly on the board, as if there are no other considerations.

Eclipse again.  Damn, you guys are supposed to be talking me out of this thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The semi-auto rifle connection isn't complete until you have an AR, M1A, FAL, and Garand!

But the Kimber is a nice gun. Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
ratters sound like where I used to live untill about 3 1/2 years ago. sacramento valley.
first moved out of the valley above auburn and still commuted into the city. put me closer to sking but furture awaay from the ocean. but the fresh air and a more crime resistent area.
but guess what I have a nicer house here for the same money and get to use my vacation times to go visit those relatives and get to remind myself when I'am back in ca. how happy I'am in colorado. and plan on another move in a couple of years wyoming is sounding very good.
moving away was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. but the bottom line for me was I did not want to be on my death bed years from now (I hope) and say I wish I had moved and done some of those things I always wanted to do.
if you are happy there thats great I hope everything there goes fine for you.

get the 1911 and the ruger revolver two nice guns. good luck
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Any other advice???
View Quote

Sure, how about a Wilson Combat KZ-45? For around $1,000.00

[url]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/kz45.asp[/url]

[img]www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/images/KZ2001.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top