Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2001 12:53:26 PM EDT
Been toying with the idea of getting a small 38 to mess around with.  Noticed a fair number of Charter Arms Undercovers availible at the shows.  Look like decent guns and the price is right 150 or so.  Anybody have any experience with them?  Yeah, I know they won't be as nice as Smith, Colt, Ruger, etal. But they're about half the price as well.  Just looking for a shooter, maybe run back up match at IDPA sometime.  

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I can’t comment on the quality of the more recent production of Charter, but during the ‘80s I had a number of them, both stainless and blued.
IMHO they have a service life about 75% that of a steel S&W J- frame (and more than an alloy frame).
From my experience, the weak points in the design are:
1. The crane is held to the frame by a screw that tends to back-out if it’s not secured with lok-tite.
2. The muzzle end of the ejector rod also unscrews if you don’t use lok-tite.
3. The trigger action is not as smooth as a S&W.
4. When the crane is open the cylinder wobbles and can shift for and aft, slowing a speed reload.
5. Two of the six I had for any period of time had the firing pin return spring break.
All in all though, I like them for what they are – an inexpensive, safe, small revolver of moderate quality.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an Undercover. it was a great gun and VERY accurate!They are mostly hideout/undercover/backup guns.Like Maddock said, I dont think they would hold up well as a sporting gun. If you are going to shoot a lot I would say get a used smith J frame or a colt. As far as shooting a box for proficiency and then stashing under the bed for SHTF I would certainly recommend them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top