Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 8:04:22 PM EDT
I been in the process of doing this for past few days and decided to leave each of my guns to people who would shoot and or appreciate them.  

Most of my collectable stuff is going to my father and most of the enjoyable stuff (AR and H&K kind) are going to few members of the family who would use them but majority of them are going to friends.  I prefere they get used than just sit around or get sold.

I'm not expecting anything to happen to me but better to be prepared...  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Never list your guns in your will!  Who knows what firearms you may possess when you shuffle off this mortal coil? If guns are sold or traded during your lifetime, then you will either need to execute a codicil reflecting the change or execute a new will!

Better to appoint someone who knows your wishes as executor and leave him or her instructions as to what weapons you want to go to whom.

Or, even better, when you get older, begin giving away your weapons to family and friends! You will get to see their enjoyment of your gift in this world!

Besides you don't want some listing of your weapons lying about in some old county courthouse now, do you?

Eric The(ThoseProbateClerksCanGetTooNosy!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I left instructions to have my firearms packed in grease, vacuum packed with ammo, and buried with me.

Should the SHTF big time, those who know me can dig them up, and thank me, one more time.

Just kidding [:D], but now that I said it......
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yobo,

If you have any questions as where to put my name in the will, just ask....  :-)

Seriously though, I would go with the informed executor route rather than documenting them in your will, who knows how MANY more you will acquire over the next few decades.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I should have made myself more clear.
This list will be given to the executor of my will and not listed on the "formal" will.  I didn't tell my shooting buddies who are on the list.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I should have made myself more clear.
This list will be given to the executor of my will and not listed on the "formal" will.  I didn't tell my shooting buddies who are on the list.  
View Quote

hey [b]buddy[/b], how are you today? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Yobo!...Yo!....Remember me?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Check with your estate planning attorney, many states let you keep a running list and treat it as part of your will (the "little old lady" list, so named because older women will often make such a list about their household treasures and up date it as friends die or younger family members go in and out of favor with them)
With such a list, if allowed in your state, you could direct that your guns, ammo, and shooting equipment be given in accordance with "the list entitled 'Gun Will List' located in my main gun safe", with strict instructions that if any transfer is illegal the executor will..blah blah

Then all you have to do is update the list every few months, and leave it where you said you would, and you are all set.

Why are you making a will? Has anyone discussed a inter vivos trust with you?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]
At this point I've got no-one to leave them to, since my daughter is only 16 and couldn't possess any of them. Hopefully I last until she's 21!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have not and would not. Its just one more paper trail to them that could cause the people you want to have them a lot of problems down the road.In my case, the persons that are supposed to have them know it , and will get them out before anyone else knows about them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#10]
This raises another question for those of us in Kalifornia. Since the latest ban prohibits [b]all[/b] transfers of those nasty black rifles, does that include a ban on bequeathing them? And my follow up question to that is, if that's the case, what happens to my rifle(s) if I happen to kick off while still a Ka resident?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This raises another question for those of us in Kalifornia. Since the latest ban prohibits [b]all[/b] transfers of those nasty black rifles, does that include a ban on bequeathing them? And my follow up question to that is, if that's the case, what happens to my rifle(s) if I happen to kick off while still a Ka resident?
View Quote

When you die, your AWs are supposed to go to the state (i think this is specified in the law), but if the guns are out of state there is nothing the CA DOJ can do... [;)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What? You mean they don't allow guns in heaven?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Nor silicon enhanced female breasts, if my reading of the Bible is correct! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The Kali law specifies a 90 day period for the executor to properly 'dispose' of those firearms.  This is accomplished by transferring them to a person out of state or selling them through a certified dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top