Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 10:22:24 AM EDT
There is a board member, who is an LEO.  That about a month ago posted a thread on a grant his department received.  The grant money, he indicated a large amount, was going to be used to purchase AR's, probably Bushy's.

Anyone know who he is and how I can get ahold of him?  Or, if you the officer, reads this, please contact me either here or email.  I have several questions about the grant.

My SRT is dire need of funds and we would love to have some well needed support.

Thanks,

Pakrat
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes...I'd like to know too,we need them for patrol.Right now only our supervisors have rifles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I searched and think that the thread might have been deleted.

I would be willing to bet that it was probably a Bureau of Justice Affairs Community Development Block Grant-basically, a check with a very vague purpose assigned (new equipment, traffic OT and so forth).

I would be interested in this, too. The recent economic wobbles have shut down our money taps. We have the best equipment around, but could really use some more rifles, too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not sure about grants, but I received 75 Colt m16 a1 rifles from the Department of Defense for $25.00 each. Our agency just ordered 100 more. If your agency wants some, send me an e-mail with contact information or telephone number. I will contact you with the necessary information.The only down side to this offer (if there is one) is it takes almost a year to received them.The rifles can only be sold to a Law Enforcement Agency.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
to see if he might show up but in the mean time, I will email you rangeman.

Is this the 1033 program?  We have signed up for it but it seems that the goverment is broke and can't afford to pay the inspectors of the rifles so they can be shipped.  At least this is what we have been told.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh great, militarizing the cops.  We've had big discussions over that issue here.  Would that be a *federal* grant by any chance?  Our tax dollars at work putting us in chains.  Maybe you should use the money to buy about 500 copies of "Unintended Consequences" and give them out to each member of your force.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh great, militarizing the cops.  We've had big discussions over that issue here.  Would that be a *federal* grant by any chance?  Our tax dollars at work putting us in chains.  Maybe you should use the money to buy about 500 copies of "Unintended Consequences" and give them out to each member of your force.  
View Quote

Your name wouldn't be Kehoe would it?...Twit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
his handle was 'luckystiff'. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=52300[/url]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
This wouldn't be for Lubbock is it?  I figured that they would be making the switch to 5.56 NATO after the relative piss-poor results their MP5's had against Mr. Robinson.  What did they have, at least two hits but no dead (suspected) perp?
Nothing worse than having an innocent gunshot victim survive long enough to sue the department back to the revolver age.  Dead innocent victims rarely sue!  I am glad to see most leo's are making the switch to hardware that will end many frivolous lawsuits against police and swat teams.

rDAm
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
C'mon guys.  If you ain't got anything positive to post then leave it alone.

This is intended for a question for equipment not a bash session.

I will not go into the militarizaton thing, it just pisses me off to hear some people open their pie hole without the first hint of intelligent information.  So in other words, put a rag over your wound - trickshot!  Come train with us for a day and see what our mission is and what piss poor support we get and then you might get a small clue as to the problem.

Still looking for the board member who posted the info on the grant, that is being used to purchase AR's for his department.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Still looking for the board member who posted the info on the grant, that is being used to purchase AR's for his department.
View Quote

Hope you don't plan on being a detective.

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
1033 was going to offering more M16A1s in the near future.

I don't know if that is going to change with the new military situation, though. I have already lost a couple of pending 1033 transfers because of the current international situation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Natez,
Spoke with my Cpt. this morning.  He said the last thing he heard was the inspection funds are broke.  The gov can't seem to pay the inspectors, so the rifles sit.

Have you heard something differant?  We started our 1033 bid about three months ago, so our info is not too dated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me clarify a few things that I failed to mention last night, lest you think I'm just another asshole or twit or whatever on this board (which if you do, that's no skin off my nose either way).

The way I figure it, all M16A1 rifles being given away at fire sale prices belong to the people of the USA.  In the past, as most of you are well aware, such rifles were sold to us via the DCM program, now privatized as the CMP.  It occurs to me that the latest military surplus rifle available is still the M1 Garand, now in its what 60th year?  We can't even get welded up (non NFA) M14s out of the government, they would rather destroy them than have them land in the hands of the people who originally paid for them.

Fast forward to 2001 now.  Only cops can have what constitute the current DCM rifles.  What is wrong with this picture?  You're not subsidized by the federal government enough already?  You need to have $25 M16s in copious amounts handed to you?  How many of those rifles just sit in police arms vaults?  How many are bought by police agencies who already have dozens of MP5s and M16s?  How many are just toys for boys who are privileged enough to have them?

This is what pisses me off about this deal.  I don't really care what weapons cops think they need to shoot citizens with.  I'd prefer you stick to handguns and shotguns, you're dangerous enough with those.  North Hollywood bank robbery shootouts don't happen every day.  There what you would call "rare" in fact.  But I am not going to be the one to deny you whatever arms you think you need, as long as there's no longer this situation where cops are completely exempt from all the laws that only "commoners" have to follow in respect to NFA  taxes and forms and so on.  That isn't and never has been fair in any way.  

There is no reason why all the M16s being handed out to cops can't be sold to the public.  It takes only a few parts to make them into semi-auto only rifles.  CMP has a deal with Bushmaster for their DCM AR-15 already.  M16A1 rifles aren't accurate, but that is beside the point.  It is idiotic not to sell those rifles to the public.  We've paid for 'em probably ten times over.  

I want mine.  In fact, I want ten of them!  You guys should be out shooting matches, just like me, so you can qualify for yours.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummmmmm, two posts up from your last post. The user name and the link to the thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The 1033 program at the Office of the Governor (same state as you) told me the surplus rifle program will be starting up again in the next couple of months.

The new system will charge for the inspection and having the weapons rebuilt, if needed. The fees haven't been finalized yet.

The NCO at their office told me to submit a letter now (still working on it), and by the time the program gets going, we should be good to go.

We are looking at them for Patrol weapons, after some modifications (no FA, lights, maybe a holo sight).
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Trickshot, I think before you categorize all police agency's, you should get your facts straight. Our agency is responsible for law enforcement in the largest county in Florida. Because of the large rural area, there have been a number of confrontations and several shootings with the dirt bags having rifles, and the deputies having pistols and shotguns. The m16 rifles levels the playing ground and gives the deputy a better chance to win. I do not see a need for a rifle in the city, but in the country, they are a valuable asset. These rifles are given to road patrol deputies who need them. They are given a three day school and must retrain and practice with them often. I do not know why the government does not offer them to the public, it is not my call, I think it would be great to have them in the CMP program. I am grateful though they are offered to law enforcement agency's instead of being destroyed. Only LEO agencies can own them, no individual LEO can purchase one. So maybe before jumping conclusions and saying something stupid, you should get your facts straight first.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#17]
What's your point, gentlemen?  Looking for bona fide info and you want to take pokes at me for posting a question.

Oh BTW, I tried a search and cannot find the topic.  I know he is out there and he'll show up.

For those trying to seriously help, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nothing worse than having an innocent gunshot victim survive long enough to sue the department back to the revolver age.  Dead innocent victims rarely sue!  I am glad to see most leo's are making the switch to hardware that will end many frivolous lawsuits against police and swat teams.

rDAm
View Quote

WTF?!?!  You need a serious ass whipping along with a BASIC class on a document called the CONSTITUTION, along with another class on what a FASCIST is.  And you probably wonder why people dislike/hate/etc.. LEOs.  

God I hope you arn't a LEO.

BTW if this is an attempt at sarcasm, you failed miserably.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top