Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 1:00:15 PM EDT
Which one do you guys think is better? I'd like to use something that's a little easier on my bore than my GI cleaning kit.

I've heard good things about them both, but am not sure which one to get. I'm leaning towards the bore snake, but wonder how well it will work compared to patches. But boy it looks handy.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Dewey makes a good one piece cleaning rod.  I believe they're coated so they will minimize barrel damage.  If you get this also get a "jag" and not the "loop" for pushing patches down the bore.  The good one piece gets my vote.

I have a bore snake for my .30 cal rifle.  After using it a few times, I was able to use a regular rod/brush/patch to get out a lot more residue.  My experience is that the bore snake is easier but not as effective.  I do still use it at the range though.  It is effective as a large "patch" [:D] after punching the bore with a brush (and it's washable).
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto. Dewey is the best way to go. The snake is ok for either conveinence or guns you dont really need super clean.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
... I use a Dewey rod for long .30 and up rifles. Make certain the little brass "hilt thingy" is always in place to prevent damage to the muzzle.

... and a GunMate bore snake for .22 cal rifles. I always hand clean pistols with rods though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an epiphany when I found Bore Snakes; they're that good. I've got one for all of my calibers (and a .338 too, just in case:-)). But you really should keep all three.

1) Bore Snakes are a great replacement for bristles brushes, bench or field. Just stick the part with the bristles in the Hoppes bottle, and go to work. I have also been using one to wipe the bore dry prior to the first firing of the day, to remove excess oil, lint, spiders, etc ;-).  I suspect that using it to oil the bore would waste a lot of oil. Save that task for a patch on a jag.  

2) Dewey Rods are essential for any application requiring pushing patches (breach to muzzle, of course) through with a brass jag (i.e., for J-B Bore Paste, Sweet's 7.62, CLP, etc.). If you are considering a quality one piece cleaning rod, you should also think about getting a Cleaning Rod Bore Guide. Look at pg. 53 of Armalite's catalog for a reference.

3) The GI Buttstock kit is just as essential, for emergencies. Leave it in the buttstock. You may need it to push a stuck case or lodged bullet. You can also use it to wipe the bore with an oiled patch at the end of the day. Using a jag you will have to push it from chamber to muzzle. --Or-- Using the supplied eye loop, loosely assemble the rod, insert it from the muzzle, attaching the eye loop with a patch when it appears from the chamber, and pulling it out to the muzzle. Repeat as necessary.

In summation, get all three!

Semper Fi,
Dave    
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Neither.

Otis

[url]www.otisgun.com[/url]

Best of both worlds.  It's a cable pull system that fits in the buttstock yet cleans exceptionally well and is super safe for the bore.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Dewey Rod
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not use a jag tip with a 223 if I were you. The tip can push through the patch and cause the patch to jam between the rod and the bore preventing the rod from being removed with some kind of press. I know about this because it happened to me. I was cleaning my AR and the patch and rod got stuck in the bore, by the way the patch was the correct size and I was using a Dewey rod, so beware of jag tips. I now use the Otis cable pull through system, it works just fine.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, not to sound stupid, but what's the differance between Otis and the bore snake?
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the bore snake and a normal rod. I scrub the bore down and let it soak, then hit it with the snake.

The snake is good for a fast clean, and seems to work better on pistols than long guns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I own a Dewey cleaning rod.  My new Bore Tech rod is much better.  If you really want a clean barrel buy a receiver rod guide and a Bore tech rod and jag.  Make sure the rod has a female end that doesn't need and adapter for brushes.
[url]www.GeorgiaPrecision.com[/url]  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
An Otis is a real cleaning kit.  Brushes, patch holders, etc...  Just like rods, only you use a cable.  The cable is more compact, buttstock stowable and you can pull a tighter patch than you can push with a rod.

A Boresnake is an "all in one" piece of rope with some brush action, followed by some patch action, all in one shot.

I personally haven't tried one, but my buddy Forest has a boresnake and an Otis kit that I gave him.  He had tested both and feels the boresnake does a decent job as a field cleaner, but doesn't really get the bore clean.  He likes the Otis better than a rod kit.  So the boresnake will just do a partial field clean to get you by until you get home and do a real cleaning.

Different tools for different jobs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Bore Snakes and CLP on my fighting guns, Dewey rods and Shooter's Choice on my precision rigs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top