Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 7:12:02 AM EDT
on a p13, how big around are the grips say...compared to
1.) a regular 1911
2.) beretta 92fs
is the grip on the p13 the same as the p12?
are they shorter than the normal size grip?
i hear para doesnt have very good blueing.
plus...can you parkarize (sp) or powder coat stainless? (i like the two tone but dont want a blued slide)

thanks again

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Para grips tend to be about the same size, except the smaller models are a little shorter. In fact, you can use a mag out of, say a P14, in a smaller Para like a P12 or even a P10 (but it will protrude from the bottom). I have a P14 in stainless, and love it!  I don't think Para offers any blued pistols. I've only ever seen stainless or their matte black finish. Never heard any stories about bad finish quality.
Compared to a regular 1911, a Para grip is bigger (wider), so I'd recommend checking them side by side in you own hand to see if it is comfortable to you.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
my advice is to stop considering a para! unreliable POS! every part in them looks to be cut with a chain saw. Beretta, Glock, HK, Sig are much better choices!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
my advice is to stop considering a para! unreliable POS! every part in them looks to be cut with a chain saw. Beretta, Glock, HK, Sig are much better choices!
View Quote

Mine is well made. Never jammed, not even once. Nothing wrong wiht your other recommendations, but I haven't seen or had any problems with Para, nor have any of the several people I know that have them. Have you ever owned or shot one?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an LDA and love the thing.
The only problems I've had with it were my own reloads were not hte right length. Once I got that figured out it has been a great gun.
Scratch
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
the matte black is para's blueing
ive looked at the others, ive got a beretta.  owned glocks, hated them.  Sig's arent known for their long term durability (go to a sig forum and see how many frames have cracked)

plus i want a 1911 variant.  but back to what i was asking, are the grips wider than a beretta's?

how about kimber vs. springfield?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Just bought a "Limited"P14. shot about 500 rounds, no jams, great fit and finish. Love it!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a Beretta handy to compare mine with. Also, thanks for the info on the blueing. I'm planning on buying a P1445 Limited soon and will look carefully at finishes before making the purchase. I want a black one, but if they are having problems.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Since it is a 1911 style, a short trigger can be added plus a replacement main spring housing that is checkered.  Did the housing myself and EGW did the short trigger plus some other work. I was going to sell it but not really sure about a price.  Need a replacement before I can sell the P-1345.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just bought a "Limited"P14. shot about 500 rounds, no jams, great fit and finish. Love it!!
View Quote

I think you just got lucky! I have seen several around the uspsa circuit. most people have nothing but problems, including a good friends (tried to go the cheap wrought)if you look on the uspsa classified adds there are always dozens for sale. if you want a 1911 get a kimber or Springfield. I have worked on all of the above and I'm sorry but paras suck!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have six POs
All work very well
The mags are the key

By the calipers just now my PO grips are 0.12 to 0.14 wider than the Berettas
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you just got lucky! I have seen several around the uspsa circuit. most people have nothing but problems, including a good friends (tried to go the cheap wrought)if you look on the uspsa classified adds there are always dozens for sale. if you want a 1911 get a kimber or Springfield. I have worked on all of the above and I'm sorry but paras suck!
View Quote

No flames but I do shoot all USPSA matches in hawaii and travel to AZ. rio salado(DESERT CLASSICS whenever I can. Besides the SV & STI's(which I had)The para's got to be the best all steel wide body limited gun! A lot of people over here shoot Para's in the limited class with no more problems than any other 1911. I like springfields too :) my 2 cents  There are more caspians for sale on the uspsa site. :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
IPSC champion Toadd Jarrett doesn't seem to have too many problems with his. If they were crap to the level Fl3gun claims, we would have surely heard all this before. This is the first I've heard any of it. In my book, Para Ordnance makes a FINE pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IPSC champion Toadd Jarrett doesn't seem to have too many problems with his. If they were crap to the level Fl3gun claims, we would have surely heard all this before. This is the first I've heard any of it. In my book, Para Ordnance makes a FINE pistol.
View Quote

the only part on Todd's gun that is para is the frame every thing else has been re worked or replaced.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

the only part on Todd's gun that is para is the frame every thing else has been re worked or replaced.
View Quote

As is true with ANY competition gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my 7/45 LDA. Only about 600 rds. so far, but no malfunctions at all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
... the fact is that the P10-45, P12-45, P13-45 & P14-45 all have the same circumferential measurements and features except mag length.
For example a P10 will accept a P14 mag, looks bitchin' and it's really a high cap shorty (I'll post a pix if you'd like).
They even make nifty sleeves that match the contour of the grip.
I love the feel of the Para-Ordnance platform.
In fact a single stack 1911 feels "funny" to me now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a lda 14 and love it I have put about 700 rounds in her and not one jam or anything she is great!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently purchased a 1911.  My final choices came down to Para Ordnance, Kimber and Springfield.  I went with the springfield because of both the interior and exterior finish, and fit / feel.  Springfield in my opinion was superior.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have very small hands for a man and have no problem with the double stack Paras as long as I put a short trigger in them.

All double stack models have the same grip, just different lengths.  As with all 1911s, a reliability package from a top gunsmith is a must.  Mine when from the store to the smith without even being out of the box.  Shoots great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I  have a P14 Ltd

"factory tuned trigger"* = 7.5 lbs!!!!!
chokes on factory:
fmj
swc
and crushes jhp

I took some measurements
on a Para P14 too!

230 gr. factory FMJ
OAL :1.260

AFTER chambering from
slide lock : 1.249

*That tune must be heavy metal
despite the plastic trigger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
All is well now
since I started handloading
for it
and size the brass to .467
and crimp to .464.

I noticed that magazine problems
are caused by  any cartridge whose OAL
approaches within .010 of
the listed max of 1.275

Also Clays keeps chamber fouling to
a minimum as well as keeping that damned
broach-marked barrel clean.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#22]
GW My P14 even feeds speer 200gr.JHP(flying ashtrays)w/Mec-Gar mags. This is no BS! I'll find out tomorrow if it will feed empty brass.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
 Have had my P-12 for almost three years now. No problems yet and I shoot the hell out of it. Pretty damned accurate for a 3 1/2" barrel too! If I were you, I'd stick with factory mags. Trust me.

coyote3
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a stainless steel P13.  It came with a weak spring.  The recoil would not feed the ammo fully into the chamber until I change the springs to WOLF.  Now it functions fine.  

I like it.  It's a nice pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top