Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 1:45:52 AM EDT
In the "Tony and Tacky" section at the BOTTOM of the page:
http://[url]http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB100163605864621200.htm[/url]
Name Game: Just three days after the two jumbo jets smacked into the World Trade Center, a dot-com broker was reviewing a list of expired domain names. What she found was creepy: More than a dozen names had again become available, ranging from attackontwintowers.com, worldtradetowerattack.com and pearlharborinmanhattan.com to terrorattack2001.com, towerofhorror.com and wterroristattack2001.com. CNSNews.com, which first reported the story, notes that, given technical and billing requirements, most of these domain names would have had to be registered back in June 2000 to make it onto an expired list by Sept. 14.
View Quote

Perhaps the feds should start digging through domain registrations to figure out if anything new is coming.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC one of the domains registered ended in '929' which in the context of the other domain names seemed as though it could be a date.  Today for example.  Everybody be careful out there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Have they checked all domain names with Attack in them.  Since Attack appears in over %90 of those listed Domain names.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
most of these domain names would have had to be registered back in June 2000 to make it onto an expired list by Sept. 14.
View Quote

Network Solutions and other companies that handle domain names specifically go out of their way to put some randomness into the timeline as to when domain names expire.  

Some go out as early as 3-4 weeks after their official expiration date, while others can hang on for months.

I've been waiting on a few domain names for a few months now, some finally expired, while others are still hanging on.  Picking the exact day, week or even month of when the domain name becomes available is not a reality.  Sounds like a hoax.

*waits and waits for AR15.com domain name....just kidding GoatBoy...no really...just kidding...you can put down that pre-ban now...hhheeeeLLLLLP!*
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for a domain name registrar (www.enom.com).  I say BS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet that "dot.com broker" is nothing but a stupid ass FDCGH who was looking to squat on some domain names then sell them to the highest bidder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top