Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/28/2001 1:25:21 PM EDT
Hey I'm a girl who just has started to have an interst in this website and guns in general (thanks to my boyfriend). I need some tips on what gun I should start out with when I first go to the range (I've never fired a gun before). Please help.. Any information would be greatly appreciated..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
OHMYGAWD!

NOT AGAIN!

Ma'am, if you are for real, I suggest that you believe about %10 of what is said on this thread. Some people will simply not be able to stick to the topic at hand(your choice of firearms). Ignore them. Never ever post your picture here, either.

You have been warned.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
[rolleyes]... SarrrahJane?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking. Either that, or it's someone from here.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruh roh. Take cover!!

[peep]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith & Wesson K frame .357 - every woman I've taught has loved it and shot it well. Start with .38 loads and work up. Additionally, most women prefer a semi-auto once they feel comfortable shooting. The common favorite is a Glock 9mm, but many also fall in love with single actions like the 1911 and the Hi-Power.

That said, find a rental range. Actually trying many makes and models out yourself is the only true test. Some will look and feel great in the store, and you'll hate them.

Good luck, and welcome.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It would really help if you would post a picture of yourself so that I can size up your body type in order to make a good firearm recommendation for your first time shooting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
[:K]? If you're not, you might want to change your nick. If you don't, expect a lot of this. [sex]            [sex]          [sex]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a 1911... A norinco will do since they are cheap but high quality.
And if your strong enough to post here again with the rest of us male shovenistic pigs, tell us what your looking for and what the price range your going for is too so we can better help a future and fellow gun owner. Don't forget, GET A AR-15!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It would really help if you would post a picture of yourself so that I can size up your body type in order to make a good firearm recommendation for your first time shooting.
View Quote

I agree firmly... also if you are wanting to possibly carry your firearm concealed the photo you post should be in scantily clad attire so we could best judge body size in relation to where the firearm could best be concealed. [:D]

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
No its Andrea.. And I AM new here and need my question answered.. I am well aware that there are tinfoil hats among us. Some of the forums are all the evidence that I need to confirm.. But, I firmly believe that there are many more sound minded gun owners out there who can help.. So please all you gun owners help me out!
By the way, I'm not intending to post my picture anytime soon because as my name says I'd probably be too hot for you guys to handle (plus my boyfriend wouldn't like it at all and he is a gun owner)
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Borrow boyfriend's .22 rifle for starters.  And take someone with you who has some clue as to what to do.  Boyfriend comes to mind.  And ignore 90 percent of what you read on this site.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking. Either that, or it's someone from here.

Juggernaut
View Quote

Ok, I give up.  Who's SarrrahJane?

Welcome aboard Shell, doesn't really matter which firearm you start with (on the range) as long as someone teaches you the safe and proper handleing of it, and it doesn't make you develop a flinch (go with a smaller round to start).  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Walther P22
[img]http://www.carl-walther.de/images/p22_target_gross_2659255.jpg[/img]
And when you get use to it move up to the 9mm version and then 40S&W.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
By the way, my boyfriend owns an AR15.. Plus, I am a college student, so money is an issue.. I'm not poor, but I want to save my money right now.. So my price range is only up to $150 right now, just for my starter gun..
Hope that helps! Thank you for the welcomes..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
By the way, my boyfriend owns an AR15.. Plus, I am a college student, so money is an issue.. I'm not poor, but I want to save my money right now.. So my price range is only up to $150 right now, just for my starter gun..
Hope that helps! Thank you for the welcomes..
View Quote

Sounds like a good condition used ruger 10/22, in that price range. They are rugged little beasts, and very fun. 500 rounds will cost $9-10. Excellent starter rifle, dependable too. Have your boyfriend teach you firearms safety, if your not willing to be safe, just skip the whole deal.

Forgive my suspicions, we have some nutty types here. I hope you will continue to frequent our boards, we ARE here to help.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
150 will barely get you anything... most guns that are worth the money atleast start at 250 - 300$
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are buying a first gun, you won't get much for a buck-and-a-half.  You could get a Ruger 10/22 rifle.  You can't get a decent .22 handgun for that, probably need to throw in another $50 for a Ruger .22 auto.

Defense?  Plinking?  How come boyfriend hasn't chipped in with his .02?  Oh well . . . plenty of opinions here, especially for someone nicked "Blonde Bombshell."
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here ya go stealth...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=50074[/url]

Seriously "Shell" gun doesn't matter.  If your sincere, just start shooting and enjoy.  Have to admit though, You are a brave woman to use a name like "Blonde_Bombshell" here.

Kiwi

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with starting with a .22 rifle.  Harder to hurt yourself with it accidentally than a handgun, as well as not too intimidating shooting.  Learn the basics of gun safety.

1: All guns are loaded at all times, even when they're not.  Treat them as such.

2: Keep your finger off the trigger at all times except before intentionally firing the weapon.  Keeping your finger off the trigger stops negligent discharges.

3: Always point a gun in a direction that causes minimal property loss and no human loss at all times.

As far as a handgun goes, it depends upon your hand size.  I've known women who love 1911's and others who couldn't hold one to literally save their lives.  My wife likes the mini-glocks (G27 in our case) with grip extensions, which she finds fit well in her hand.

As scarecrow suggests, a Walther P22 is an excellent start if you want to look at semi-autos.  They're relatively inexpensive, ammo is cheap, and you can learn good gun handling skills before moving on to bigger and better calibers.

Good luck.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My boyfriend already gave me a few pointers on gun safety and showed me how to load his AR15 etc.. So yes, I am for gun safety.
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Brave for using my nick?? Well that's what I am and I also thought it'd be interesting to seperate the men from the boys in this topic.. I know some men can't handle it and think I'm a dumb blonde, but I am educated and am in college as we speak..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the group.  We don't seem to get that many females to stick around, so I hope you stay.  With more new shooters that just happen to be female, we may get our gun owner numbers up to be a force to reckon with, without relying on the NRA or GOA - just with our voting power.  Again, Welcome and enjoy - I'm still amazed at what I learn on this board alone every day!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Here ya go stealth...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=50074[/url]

Kiwi
View Quote

How could I forget.  Thanks, I think. [BD]

Shell... 10/22 gets my vote as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi Andrea, and WELCOME!

When my fiancee started shooting, I had her start with a .38 revolver:
-easy to shoot
-fit her small hands
-goes bang every time she pulls the trigger

She now owns a Smith and Wesson Ladysmith in .357 and likes it very much....

Take care.

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Why don't alot of women stay?? I know that some women are feminist liberals and are completely anti-gun, but they can't ALL be?? I am sorry that I can't call myself a republican either.. I have no political ties, just have a healthy interest in guns for defense purposes and for recreation (since my boyfriend seems to get such enjoyment out of it I want to know what I am missing out on).
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Could you post some pics so we can place a face with the name?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#28]
People you are missing th important thing here, GUNS!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes!! please answer my question... What guns have you taught your ladies on?? I'm small 5'3" and 120lbs, so nothing too big for starters..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're looking for a handgun you might want to consider a Makarov or one of its equivalents. They can be found in the $150 range, and there are a wealth of accessories for them. Check out [url]http://www.makarov.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Welcome,

Please read [size=1]Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL
Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.[/size=1][url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[size=1]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY  Implant Micro-chip[/size=1][url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  
^

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#32]
COOL! Thanks for the tips everyone.. Keep them coming!
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
my first gun experience was a ruger gp100 with .38s.  next 6 shots had the .357 rounds.  but i wouldn't recommend that for you.  especially not the 6" barrel!  that's a darn heavy gun!

i carry a glock 26 (9mm) and a taurus 85 ultra lite in .38.  working on saving the $$$ for a .45 (full size kimber) either one is fine.  benefits and cons to semi-autos and revolvers.  "experiment" with both and find out what you like.  

also have an ar15: bushy 20" hbar.

what's your bf got?

forgot to add, friendly warning: beware of calling yourself "too hot" for the guys here.  someone at some point in time will think you're not and will have no problem telling you.  if you can deal with that, fine.  if not, now you know.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#34]
My guess is, its McDUZI!!![peep]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Andrea,

I would recommend you get someone to teach you how to shoot safely first (lots of business cards available at your local gun store).

Then once you have some familiarity with the two basic kinds of pistols (semi-automatic and revolver) you can figure out approximately what caliber you want/need (probably around a .38) for your selected purpose.  

If you're planning to carry, select the holster along with the firearm.

The local favorites amongst women I know are the baretta .380 semi-automatic or the Lady Smith (small frame .38 caliber revolver).

You probably want a SMALLER handgun in a mid-size caliber.  < .30 is probably too small > .40 is probably too big.  Part of your selection will depend on how much "kick" you feel comfortable with -- heck just go visit the local range and see if someone there will teach you safety and something about various types of firearms.  

I'm ALWAYS willing to teach people about safe firearms use AND also always willing to let them fire my pistols/rifles IF they've listened carefully to the safety instructions.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you select.

- CD

PS: WRT all the peculiar comments, the "boys" on ar-15.com get overloaded on a testosterone high when they see a "girl" nickname and it makes them post stupid things.  Bear with us for awhile, they'll *eventually* get over it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks a bunch Camperdad... I'll remember your advice about the boys in here too..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Andrea,

Welcome to the board, a great hobby/pastime, and please ignore the cat calls and testosterone spewing all over the place. Some women probably don't stay because of those last reasons.  Boys will be boys, ya know? Now back to "your" question.

I'm glad your boy friend has given you gun safety instructions.  I also do this with all the women I've instructed on shooting. Please review them EVERY time you go to shoot. Always check to make sure the gun is not loaded before you're ready to shoot.  Every gun is abit different so take the time to check those differences out. Also, ALWAYS wear hearing protection. DON'T point a gun ant anything you don;t intend to shoot.

Bottomline. With firearms start small & work your way up.

You want to start out with a .22 rifle or pistol (even though they're harder to shoot accurately at first) because they are cheap to shoot, and you want to be able to focus on trigger control, propoer breathing and aiming at the target.  A hard-kicking/louder firearm could discourage you because you could develop a "flinch" (aka anticipation of the gun going off) that means you're not real comfortable with the gun. I would suggest a Ruger 77/22 or Marlin 22 bolt action because they're relatively cheap (look for a used one) and being manually-operated YOU have more control over the functioning of the rifle.  Since you want to become confident with .22's shoot paper targets for this initial practice, but mix in some tin cans for the fun factor since they move around.

In a shotgun start with a .410 or 20 gauge since the recoil is easier.  You can shoot clay targets which adds to the fun factor.

If you shoot a pistol start with a .22 revolver for the same reasons.  

Shooting is alot of fun when done safely, and it might save your life or put food on the table sometime. Pratice as much as you can and work up to your comfort level regarding more powerful firearms.  Some of the best shots I know are women, and all the gals I've taught still do. If you have any questions please ask.

Regards,

Talyn

PS: The AR15 is a fun gun, and my best friend (woman)really loves the one I got her.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
for 150.00 you should be able to find something used that would be a good first gun...22, shotgun, slug gun. i guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

my first gun was a .22lr ruger mark  ii pistol. was nice to shoot around with. if size isnt an issue you might find some kind of rifle to be more enjoyable.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
PS: WRT all the peculiar comments, the "boys" on ar-15.com get overloaded on a testosterone high when they see a "girl" nickname and it makes them post stupid things.  Bear with us for awhile, they'll *eventually* get over it.
View Quote

while this is usually the case, i don't particularly see it happening for her.  took awhile for the respect to get tossed my way.  of course, would have helped if iknew the rules!  [;)]  based on the few posts i've read from her, she's not starting out on the right foot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife is 'bout your dimensions and she learned to shoot with my Sig226.  Considering that your budget is only $150, I'd suggest that you get a nice EG Makarov.  Oh yeah, welcome to the AR boards!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Is a used firearm out of the question? $150 won't buy much, especially something new. But it might get you a lot closer to something that's used but still in very good shape.

What does a used Taurus revolver go for these days? I'm sure many folks have already said this but for a beginner, get a revolver. No magazines, levers, or buttons to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Normally I'd recommend a Desert Eagle 50 AE for a new female shooter, but since you're restricted to $150, I'd have to say makarov.

What does your boyfriend, the AR15 owner, recommend?

And why do you seek the opinion of strangers instead of taking the advice of your boyfriend? There seems to be some trust issues we'll have to address in later threads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Andrea & ARlady,

You ladies are about the only women I know that posted on this board. Please hang in there, since we need more women is this sport and on this board.

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#45]
not starting out on the right foot?? I'm just asking what gun I should start out with... geez ARlady stick up for your fellow woman!

Anyway, keep the tips coming.. Like I said before, I just want a starter gun.. nothing fancy, it can be used, as long as its the right fit for someone my size and won't be too bulky or cumbersome.. I think I need to start small and work my way up gradually.. Does anyone agree with me?? Give me more opinions and tips..
Thank you
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
trust issues??? I asked him FIRST on what to start out with.. I was just looking for some other people's advice and opinions, since he is the ONLY person I know who is a gun owner..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I would say  go with the Ruger 10/22 or the mark II. Take safety to heart, and make sure you have eye and ear protection. Welcome aboard.
ARH
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey guys lets bring Andrea on one step at a time. She's asking for shooting/gun advice not about relationship issues.

Andrea. Start small & work up as you get more comfortable and proficient. Email me off-board for further questions if you want.

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#49]
schnacke was jumping to conclusions WAY too fast..
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#50]
One thing, since you have limited yourself to $150.00 beware of used guns until you are familiar with what to look for or have your BF if he really knows guns check it out before buying. I've seen more people on limited budgets get screwed by a dealer or private individual selling crap.

Personally what do you what a gun for, target, protection, fun, etc. This would help determine what you should look at, i.e. rifle, handgun and the caliber.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top