Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2001 10:45:17 AM EDT
My company decided that as a cost-cutting measure, all software development would be outsourced. So, today was my last day at my job. No warning. At least there's a small severance package.
If y'all know of any openings in northern VA for a MS Visual C++, VB, SQL Server, or Oracle-type programmer, drop me a line.

BTW, this does not affect my wedding at Knob Creek. It will go on next Friday as scheduled.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the usual on-line measures, and use some of the severence package to hire a real headhunter. When dad retired from IBM, a headhunter got him on w/ Mastercard Int'l for about ten grand over his salary at retirement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds exactly what my wife programs in.  Wrong coast though.

Sorry to hear about the lay off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Check your e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, sorry to hear about the layoff.  Knock on wood.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about this Bubbles. I could help you in the Charlottesville area (I work for a specialized software company).  I only have one contact in NOVA-a salesperson for Rational Software up in McLean.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Hope the severance was good!  In January, our company split in two.  In March, corporate decided to kill one of the two, luckily for me, it was the other half.  They got 2 months full pay and benefits with one week added for every year you were employed past 4 years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the club.  I got laid-off in August by a large software-only company based here in Houston with three initials.

Have decided that from now on, I am going to be an independent contractor.  Am starting a 8-week training course for SAP next week.  I'm tired of dealing with corporate BS all the time.

Sorry to hear it, pal.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Bubbles...I got laid off too (Sept. 7th)
I'm in Software QA out in here in Silicon Valley.
Hope things work out for you. Here in the valley, the competition for jobs is crazy.
Now I just spend my time on the boards, looking for work and learning Java.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Here - [url]http://www.fieler.com/terror/[/url] relieve some stress!  (It's the Bin Laden game.)
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If anyone has jobs in Northern CA for desktop support, e-mail me!!

Still no luck on this end... ugh...
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I got laid off without warning today also!  It must be contagious!  I do JDEdwards (accounting software)support.  The OneWorld version is written in ANSI C and uses SQL Server or Oracle.  We could team up!  We are looking to move back to Washington State but the job market has been flat for the last 6 months.  Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Been 5 mos off for this VB, SQL Server, ASP, Access programmer. Hoping something comes through soon. Good Luck to you Bubbles and all you others too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Join the club. I was laid off, along with my team of developers and own my boss, when the company I worked for moved software R&D to France (their home base). They decided it was more cost efficient to have two junior programmers in France supervise a team of 35 Russians, many with PhD's, who they were getting for $7.00/hour US. So, they took all our code, which was a completely new system (and very large) written in C++, using COM, SQL Server, TCP/IP, etc., gave it to the Russians and laid us all off. This was in mid-July. So, last week I received an e-mail from France (as if I would respond) asking where they might find the documentation. Gee, if you weren't so greedy you would have given us time to write the documentation before you fired us all, you bloody Frenchmen. Last I heard they were still having problems understanding the system and couldn't even set up a build environment to compile it. ha ha Screw them!

My boss said the hell with it -- he's not looking for employment. He's in his late 50's, has almost 40 years software development experience, so he's ready to take a rest. I have 15 years experience, as of late doing R&D and working as a project lead software engineer. Most of the stuff I did was COM/DCOM and TCP/IP protocol development in C++, with a lot of server development (app servers using SQL Server for the RDMS). Lot's of multi-threaded back-end, which I've always enjoyed doing.

Right now I have a small contract with a local university, so I'm not starving yet.

One thing I noticed, and perhaps you guys may have noticed it as well, but the guys I've spoke to said they are not firing H1-B VISA engineers, just the Americans. Have any of you noticed that as well?

Anyway, don't worry Bubbles. You have a valuable skill set so you'll find something. My older brother has a BS in accounting and an MCSE, and he's struggling to find help desk. That area is saturated.

Also, pay attention to your severance agreement. Mine had a very restrictive non-compete (I designed most of their high visibility products so they worry about me going to the competition), so I had to pay a lawyer to get a better deal. It cost me over $1,000, but now I am free to screw them any way I like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I got laid off over a month ago. I still havent found work! Ive been doing Java development/software design for 4 years. The market is real bad now. If anyone knows of any software development work in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area let me know!

The current economic situation has KILLED my chances of a pre-ban AR purchase[>(]

Perhaps I should seek employment at a gun shop.
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, at least you do not work in the airlines biz.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Seeing all these software-related layoffs makes me feel better about never learning to program.

Of course, I'll probably get the axe next month anyway. [xx(]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got laid off without warning today also!  It must be contagious!  We are looking to move back to Washington State but the job market has been flat for the last 6 months.
View Quote

That's pretty funny, Chuck -- I've been thinking of moving to Texas because the job market here in Washington is so bad! [:D]

Sympathies.  I've been out of work for five months now.  I think the "contagious" comment is pretty accurate;  everyone is laying off because everyone else is laying off, because everyone else is laying off, because. . . .

Trust me, you're better off in Texas.  Unless -- would you like to buy my house??
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If there is a sudden need for domestic oil production (war), there well be a need for software control systems, drilling and production. Check companies like Hydril, Camaron, FMC (my work) …ect. These businesses don’t know how (can’t) make 2 systems the same. And there was a up swing in orders before WTC.
But most likely it would mean a move to Texas.      
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear that. I've got an opening for a C++ developer, but it's in SE PA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody here know how to run a small network thing.My clinic has 22 Drs and an idiot to keep our computers running.Down 7 days now due to some virus.I know shit about puters.It is a state job with benefits but low pay.The plus is NW Arkansas.
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
If things keep up the way they're going, we might see another 1990-1993 situation where employers had their pick of the cream-of-the-crop, and as a result went into what I call "intrusion" mode, requiring the most bizarre disclosures from prospective employees. Some of you older guys probably remember those days. Things like how many speeding tickets you had in the last three years, etc. And then they required 60-70 hour weeks at 40 hours pay and if you made any noise you were out the door. Ah, the good old days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anybody here know how to run a small network thing.My clinic has 22 Drs and an idiot to keep our computers running.Down 7 days now due to some virus.I know shit about puters.It is a state job with benefits but low pay.The plus is NW Arkansas.
cpermd
View Quote

There should be a lot of people on this board who can handle that.

Do you guys use a software appointment scheduler or medical clinic management system? If not, I know a gun loving guy who could provide you with one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know?
I just want help.
If you have been laid off and don't mind a low pay,low stress,state job in firearms friendly NW Arkansas.Lots of benefits.I live in a 3500 sq ft house on 2 acres with a pool and 2400 ft shop that cost $160,000..
My ponds have Beaucoups fish.The residents bring their spouses and kids when they want to catch fish.We feed the deer(can't shoot em on my place).Turkeys all over.Wild hogs all over in the river bottoms four miles South of my farm.I am having Hell firing this guy though-Damn state jobs.
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#25]
... well, I just got word that it happened to little brother in Seattle.

... bless his heart he work in a machine shop supporting NASCAR industry, seems business has dropped dramatically in two weeks.

... he'll do fine, good machinists are always in demand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Been off of full time work since end of july.

I do Network Engineer/Architect/Unix stuff, and lemme tell you, the job market right now for nearly all tech stuff is HARSH.

Anybody got a line on something I can use, lemme know, I'll move anyplace I can carry :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top