Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 7:11:50 AM EDT
I have an '89 Taurus wagon that the power window motor on the driver's door appears to have a dead short in it.
A friend has an '85 Oldsmobile that was wrecked in the front end.
My question is will the motors from one vehicle fit in the other?
I don't want to tear the doors apart if the motors won't interchange.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
One of Ford's [b]BETTER IDEAS[/b] was no parts exchanges w/ GM products.
Sounds like a trip to the junk yard will be on your agenda.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]

are you sure the motor is dead and not just a bad switch? if not the switch, it might just be a broken wire.

if you havent already done so, you may be able to run 12v directly to the motor to see if it still works.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
They probably won't interchange. Other than the motors and connections being different, the mounting holes probably aren't the same.  Looks like it'e time for a pilgramage to your local savage yaed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Ford & Mercury [b]WILL[/b] interchange.

Ford & Oldsmobile definately won't.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an '89 Taurus wagon that the power window motor on the driver's door appears to have a dead short in it.
View Quote

Please explain to me what you mean by "appears".
Does it blow a fuse instantly when you attempt
to initiate regulator movement???

In my experience, switch failure is much more
common than motor failure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I removed the switches and ran a hot wire straight to the wires on the plug. This allowed me to gety the other three windows up, but the driver's window didn't move. I unplugged the motor itself and ran hot wire to the plug on the motor, the jumper wire pretty much melted in my hand. Quite a smoke show.
I had hoped it was just the switch but it don't look like it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Power Windows huh?  Is that the version that comes out after XP?  [smash]

Nuckles.
(sorry, I couldn't help myself!)
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I removed the switches and ran a hot wire straight to the wires on the plug. This allowed me to gety the other three windows up, but the driver's window didn't move. I unplugged the motor itself and ran hot wire to the plug on the motor, the jumper wire pretty much melted in my hand. Quite a smoke show.
I had hoped it was just the switch but it don't look like it.
View Quote

I was hoping it was a switch too.  Sorry - I
think you've diagnosed it correctly.  Bone-yard
time!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Power Windows huh?  Is that the version that comes out after XP?  [smash]

Nuckles.
(sorry, I couldn't help myself!)
View Quote

You beat me to the punch![;)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I know enough about them to know that I will never buy another vehicle that has them.  No power mirrors either.  I had a Mustang with fucked up power locks and mirrors.  What a joaner!

Hope you get your car fixed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#11]
The motor you are looking for can be found in the 1986-1995 Taurus, certainly a large number of those out there. When you find one in the junk yard you may want to pull the motor from the passenger side rear door. It will be identical in fit & funtion as that in the driver's side front door. The reason is, the drivers front door is slamed and the window is operated multiple times more than any other window in the car.

Just my .02 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top