Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 2:26:05 AM EDT
Tonight, while I was burning a CD I got to pondering how much we're progressed in terms of disk storage technology in the past 15 years. I was thinking about my younger days in the mid-80's, when I got my first computer, a Packard Bell 8088 desktop system with a 30 megabyte drive. Wow! Thirty stinkin' megs and 640k RAM! In those days, we used to think about disk storage in terms of megabytes. I mean, if you had a 30 meg. drive back then you were ahead of the curve. Now, fifteen years later we think in terms of gigabytes. Twenty, thirty, even fifty gigabyte drives are common today. That's an increase of a factor of 1,000 in less than 15 years. That is amazing stuff. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:36:48 AM EDT
Commodore 64 in 1984, no hard drive. Moved up to a Commodore 128 with twin diskette drives in 1986. 64k and 128k ram respectively. Now I'm sending mail to my friends on a daily basis and recieving replies in the same day. I also gab using msn messenger with some. Instant communications like that, discussion forums to learn and share information, huge capacity storage drives, faster machines etc.... The only drawback is that this kid came over, and looking at my records said.... "what's that, looks like a big cd". I said "close enough", mumbled something incoherant and felt really old. [:D] Good thing I didn't show him one of my 8-tracts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:46:57 AM EDT
I had an Apple IIE. What was the processor speed on those things? Something like 3mhz? It had twin disks, no hard drive. I souped it up with a Transwarp (I think that was what you called it)so it ran 3 times as fast and put in a 1 meg ram card. That was a hot machine. I was online with a 300 bps modem. Finally got a 1200 bps modem and was really flying. I think I paid about $3000 for that thing. Put another $1000 in to soup it up. Geezzz!
Top Top