Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 8:45:59 PM EDT
It seems that with each passing day the level of anger and resolve is waining away. More and more talk of UN mediated peace talks, Colin Powell's words keep getting more "pc" more discussion of "what will we do with him when he's caught ?" or how do we do this without stepping on some toes.
Please tell me that I am just reading this all the wrong way and that we will actually follow through with our threats of a all out war on terrorists.
For the sake of future generations, we must act now and destroy the enemies of freedom. I hope I'm wrong here.
any thoughts ??
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have noticed the flags on peoples cars are slowly disappearing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a false sense of passiveness...right before we wail the tar out of them!  

My ribbons are still on my antenna & my rear window has the American bald eagle on it with the flag across its face...had it made up special & stuck on.

Never forget. Never surrender.  God grant us victory!

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
... does this really surprise ANY of you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep thinking of the saying:
"STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT".
Seems that things are "cooling" down a bit too much for my liking.

Why not launch a dozen or so MX missle's now and let the chips fall where they may.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured it would wane with the "instant patriots" as soon as they got into regular tv programming again.  With some, as soon as their latte's started getting cold.  Sheep will be sheep.

Anger will dissipate over time.  Our resolve in this shouldn't.  

No, I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
As Americans we are used to instant gratification, things are not happening fast enough to keep the general populations attention, it will probably take more terrorist attacks or aggressive military action to get interest back up to the level it should be.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
No, I believe that it is the shock and dismay that is fading.  The [i]profound[/i] anger and resolve are just growing. The apparent "waining" that you perceive, is actually our entire country waiting for the other shoe to drop.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I also wonder about this.  It is clear the media NEVER had any desire to promote a war against these bastards.  As more people are saturated by media BS about diplomacy the problem will worsen.  Longer the PC crowd can delay retaliation the worse the problem will be.  A proper nuclear response would have happened within a few days so we can figure it is never going to happen - for THIS attack.

Powell is FAR too PC for me.  I sometimes question his loyalty.  I certainly consider him unfit!

The politicians better tread carefully here.  While the media, hollywood and assorted subversive nut cases oppose action, much of grassroots America still DEMANDS it.  When the next attack occurs much MORE demand for action is likely to surface.

I hope I am not a 3 day patriot.  Still have flag on my truck, one lighted on the house 24/7.  Only run the one up the pole on decent days and during day as have no light on it yet.  I still want to nuke Afganistan and Iraq then ask what country wants it next!!!  I am still severly pissed!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
No, not among the populace here... more anger that no acknowledged action by us has been reported yet...

Recruiters have been busy lately-they are screening out those motivated solely by revenge

'nuff said

Don out
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you guys serious?  What would you rather have done?  Wasted million dollar missles on a ten dollar tent only to stick them up some camel's ass (to paraphrase Dubbya).  It sounds like [b]YOU[/b] have the problem with "instant gratification"  Such an operation would have yielded no tangible results other than to feed your bloodlust.

Remember Operation Desert Shield turned to Storm only after we had all the required elements in place.  Rest assured with the 6,000+ murdered souls crying for justice, our government will respond 100,000 fold.

Some 'sunshine patriots' may have faded away, but the vast majority of us 'real patriots' still wait in anticipation for the REAL show to begin.

Now shut up, get yourself some popcorn and enjoy the previews [;)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you guys serious?  What would you rather have done?  Wasted million dollar missles on a ten dollar tent only to stick them up some camel's ass (to paraphrase Dubbya).  It sounds like [b]YOU[/b] have the problem with "instant gratification"  Such an operation would have yielded no tangible results other than to feed your bloodlust.

Remember Operation Desert Shield turned to Storm only after we had all the required elements in place.  Rest assured with the 6,000+ murdered souls crying for justice, our government will respond 100,000 fold.

Some 'sunshine patriots' may have faded away, but the vast majority of us 'real patriots' still wait in anticipation for the REAL show to begin.

Now shut up, get yourself some popcorn and enjoy the previews [;)]
View Quote

YES I AM SERIOUS !!! As with others who commented here, I too have seen the flags going by the wayside and the same sheeple who were ready to bomb 2 weeks ago are now ready to just talk. Just like many times before, the longer things wait, the more resolve will erode.
I am not just lusting for blood, but rather vengeance !!! if that's wrong then oh well, so be it !!!  
What really gets me is the manner in which the media are covering this tradgedy. we have'nt seen any of the dead or wounded or any of the devastation close up. Now before you go off that I just want to see the gore, just remind yourselves of how they cover the "stories" that the media has a real interest in. If there is a massacre somwhere and the media has a agenda to support, they show TONS of dead bodies, maimed and orphaned children and whatever else they can that would put the U.S. in a bad light.Hell, they do it for school shootings and dont even think twice !! How many times have we seen the gory images from Kosovo, or rawanda, or even back to WWII and the death camps. All of that is designed to elicit a emotional response to further their goals.
We see none of that here.
I will never forget, and I won't allow anyone I come in contact with to forget, whether they like it or not.
SPECTRE out...
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#12]
"If you build it, they will come"...I say "if you destruct it we will come" We will be going over there soon enough. Have patience. Although there are alot of 3 day patriots, I think most of the countries resolve is still strong.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#13]
If I recall correctly there was a lull when Bush 1 was getting the forces lined up. I don't think any resolve has diminished, people are just waiting for the show to fall. As for myself I fly the flag year round.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Powell is FAR too PC for me.  I sometimes question his loyalty.  I certainly consider him unfit!
View Quote

don't bad mouth Powell. he's an ex-ranger. he just puts on his "PC face" for the camras. IMHO i think he's just BSing about the diplomacy stuff cuz while he knows that Dan Rather, Peter Jennings 'n' company are a bunch of idiots he has to tell the media something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I respect his prior service as a Ranger.  However his current statements as well as those during and after Desert Storm did not earn him any points with me.

I am impatient as are many here.  I truely want to nuke the vermin and THAT requires no coalition or massive movements!  Only an ICBM, sub based missle or B52 strike, in order of desired action.  The gov needs to be keeping the public committed not letting the anger subside.  In any event, the next attack will harden our resolve.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone hear about the little attack in Hawaii 60 years ago?  When the military of Japan attacked our harbor?  We knew exactly who the enemy was, and knew where they were, and, more or less, how to get them.

It took us six months to respond.

This situation is FAR more difficult.  The entire country of Afghanistan isn't guilty; heck, only a small percentage is even involved in the government.  Bombing civilians, even if you think it's justified, won't do anything to prevent further attacks, and would more likely be used to justify further terrorist action.

Also, we would be stupid to send in troops, even Special Forces types, until we have assets in place to back them up and support them.  We're working on that.

Finally, I'm not aware that we know exactly where Bin Laden or his followers are.  It's kind of hard to be effective at killing your enemy if you can't locate him.

I know some of you would be happy to "nuke them from orbit", but if you really believe that's a solution, then you're no better than the people who planned the WTC/Pentagon attack.

-Troy
View Quote

Yes, but the media was a little less liberal then, and the guvment censorship a lot harsher
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone hear about the little attack in Hawaii 60 years ago?  When the military of Japan attacked our harbor?  We knew exactly who the enemy was, and knew where they were, and, more or less, how to get them.

This situation is FAR more difficult.  The entire country of Afghanistan isn't guilty; heck, only a small percentage is even involved in the government.  Bombing civilians, even if you think it's justified, won't do anything to prevent further attacks, and would more likely be used to justify further terrorist action.

I know some of you would be happy to "nuke them from orbit", but if you really believe that's a solution, then you're no better than the people who planned the WTC/Pentagon attack.

-Troy
View Quote

I completely agree with your first point.

I have a hard time with the second.  The Japanese leaders were unconcerned about seemingly immanent attacks by US troops on the shores of Japan.  They were willing to expend their military and then draft the rest.  What ended the war, and quickly was the bombing of 100,000 innocent Japanese people.  Killing serviceman rarely leads to surrender.  Massive civilian casualties on the other hand may cause any government to rethink their position.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I am saying.  I am not in favor of wiping out the entire Muslim community.  I just believe that avoiding civilian casualties is a modern naivete.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Also, we would be stupid to send in troops, even Special Forces types, until we have assets in place to back them up and support them.  We're working on that.

Finally, I'm not aware that we know exactly where Bin Laden or his followers are.  It's kind of hard to be effective at killing your enemy if you can't locate him.

-Troy
View Quote

You've really gotta stop interrupting my sarcasm and our collective bloodlust with logic, facts and tempered emotion. [:D]

As far as this thread...Our government and armed forces have a job to do.  I'm sure they will do it, even if the resolve of many fades.

It's a shame about the sheep though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not advocating it, I am merely suggesting that it would not be unprecedented or unsuccessful.  I applaud practical efforts to minize civilian casualties, but it is impossible to avoid them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I think to rush in without proper intel would be foolish. Be sure we will strike and may have, but as with anything, we are suscessful in slience and I have confidence tha we are already in action.

Have more confidence in our countries resolve. Contingencies must be in place when we begin this tit-for-tat campaign begins.

Remember to buy your .223 ammo soon, the quality stuff will start to slow in supply while manufacturers gear up for government contracts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top