Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What the hell is up with Rick Berman and his stupid time travel fetish?  I swear you can't get through five episodes without some form of time travel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Great new show, can't wait for the next episode..
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
In DS9 it took 10 days to get from the station to earth at high warp. In Enterprise they can go right past DS9 all the way to the Klingon home world in 4 days at a measly warp 4, something is wrong with that.

The Volcans are as condescending as Romulons the Klingons should be over 100 years away at warp 4 and look wrong and there seems to be a wider selction of aliens in the past.

Still liked it though I wish the writers had done their homework.

THISISME  
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
They've done their homework.  They've done serious homework:

(1) The new klingon design was introduced in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Star Trek II).  They were what Gene Roddenberry would have made the Kingons look like if he had the budget in '66.

(2) The Klingon thing was jokingly explained in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations", which returned the DS9 crew (Worf included) to the space station K7, and the NCC-1701 Enterprise's Klingon/tribble encounter in the episode "The Trouble With Tribbles".  Bashir looks at the old, non-ridged Klingons and remarks "That is a Klingon???" to Worf, who replies, "They are Klingons, and it is a long story."

So enough with the "why do the Klingons have ridges" questions.  We all know why.  No budget in '66.

(3) Vulcan is relatively close to Earth.  Qo'nos is a bit farther, probably a little more than four days at warp 4.5 (but not much).  Bajor is very, very far away, and at a cruising velocity of warp 8.6, 10 days makes sense.

And now, I have revealed my complete geekdom.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to see some of the Aliens from the original show like Andorans, the hot green women, and more of the pig people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was a great show, can't wait for the next episode!

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I give the show a thumbs up so far, even though I'm a TOS fan.  Jolene was in a surfing show a few months back, and she looked really hot in a bikini.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
No Bajor`s in this one......DAMN......besides....men are from mars.......womenz are from venus....or heaven....or hell.....does ANYONE REALLY KNOW WHERE THE HELL WOMEN ARE FROM????????..................[whacko]

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Caught the last hour of the episode, and liked what I saw.
Any Star Trek is better than none.
When DS9 came out, I was determined not to like it. Same with Voyager. I ended up liking both, especially DS9, almost as much as Next Generation, my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Worf:  "They are Klingons, and it is a long story."

Translation:  "It's just a TV show.  Get over it!"
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, they will repeat later in the week.  Maybe Saturday.

That decontamination scene was dumb.  Just a way to oogle their bodies.   They didn't decontaminate the Captain did they?   hmm.

Warp 4.4...  sheesh.  Oh, and that is the OLD warp standard.  It changed from TOS to TNG, so it is probably like warp .07 or something. lol.
View Quote

(LOL= joking....)

Any how, the Star Trek 'books' (last I read/heard) that TOS Warp 8 was actually too high.  One TOS when the Enterprise was taken over and on the way to another gallexy(sp) had it going Warp 11 or 12.  TOS Warp 8 is really Warp 7 or so.  Remember, Warp 10 or 9.9999999 is MAX (so far in the 24th century).

So, NX-01 is is going Warp 4.4...... so in the TNG scale, it's probably somewhere around Warp 3.0 or 3.5.

(Yes, I am a Star Trek fan.)

Anyone try to enter the contest on www.startrek.com

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Scott Bakula:  Hmm, a Klingon Bird-of-Prey is approaching and it's phasers are locked!!  What to do??
--Man appears out of nowhere--
***Zip Bleep Rowwah Bloop*** Uh oh, this doesn't look good, Sam.  According to Ziggy, the Klingons wipe you out like a bad pimple.  You better LEAP outta there, Sam!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quoted:
Worf:  "They are Klingons, and it is a long story."

Translation:  "It's just a TV show.  Get over it!"
View Quote

Actually, despite the major Trek-anachronisms, dealing with the foreheads, that have occured since...I thought that episode was friggin' hilarious.  Kinda showed that 1.) No writer is perfect 2.) Have fun with it, it's just a show!

Hey, does anybody know when the series premiere starts again?  I'm looking forward to maybe catching it (for the first time) this weekend since I've heard good things about it.  Is it listed for replay anytime soon?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
re: Klingon ridges...

I could have sworn that, as someone mentioned, that it was a genetic experiment... so to explain it:

TIME ---->

A...........B..............C................D
........Enterprise.....Star Trek.......TNG & DS9
........w/ridges.......w/o ridges......w/ridges
.......................& w/ ridges

"A" is before the current time of the shows.  As someone mentioned, a Klingon (Kahless?) that was cloned and brought back to life in TNG looked like Worf.  So the w/ridge Klingon is the original.

So, assuming that there was some kind of genetic experimentation... that period simply lasted between B and C.  And was then discarded/fixed at C - Kirk's time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#16]
OK I need some help. I have Dish Network and I went through my on screen guide and could not find anything that said UPN. If its on Dish Network what station is it? Thanks for any help guys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]
If I remember correctly, according to "Star Trek Cannon" The Klingons in TOS were the Genetic experiment. Enterprise and TNG Klingons are their actual appearance.

The explanation was that the Klingons being extremely paranoid wanted all members of their race who dealt with Earth to be better able to "blend" with human kind so they could gather Intel, and infiltrate the Federation. This was the background of the bureaucrat that was exposed by the tribbles in "Trouble with Tribbles" to be a Klingon agent in place.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey, regardless of what every little Trekkie out there thinks,,, I can assure you that it is only a TV show. Now bare in mind that I was one of the original fans and watching TOS when I was about 6-8. My parents couldn't keep from watching it. All my other friends were fans of Gunsmoke and Bonanza and other cowboy stuff (I was too but was a serious Trek fan). After many years of nothing significant, just reruns,,, about the time I was graduating then the new movie came out. For those of you who had to wait like I did, you know how truly cool it was to go to that first movie. The big screen at the theatre with that new Enterprise on it was truly awesome.

Then several movies followed. Some were better than others but they were all good. Then the start of TNG and suddenly there was a new crew on a very new Enterprise. That was cool and that high cool factor was the main thing that got me through the first season. I thought the first season was kind of weak but still worth watching. Glad I had patience cause it got better.

I never really got into DS9 but did watch it on occasion. I thought it was a good show but am more interested in the concept of moving around more and exploring. Liked Oto on that show, cool character.

Voyager has been interesting but also disappointing. Tuvok is the best representation of a Vulcan that I've seen. Nelix was annoying. Tess wore too many clothes. So did 7. Janeway didn't kick enough alien ass. Chakotey preached too much. Torez also wore too many clothes. But all in all it was a good show with several interesting episodes.

This new series brings forth a couple of unknowns. Although I like Scotty B. okay, I was never a real fan of Quantum Leap. I am looking forward to seeing how aggressive he portrays the captain as. This whole conflict with the Vulcans and them holding back technology is a very interesting subplot that I never expected. Should add and interesting twist to the series.

All in all I'm looking forward to the new series for what it apparently offers, a crew that is a lot less polished than TNG. That whole system of decision by committe hasn't been established yet and that is good.

I don't really care how many of the simple little flaws pop up that get all the so call trekkies ruffled. It's just a show and its primary priority is to entertain. And I won't even get into all the returning actors who play different roles.

I have watched almost every movie, episode, and special that has ever aired. I will continue to do so. Discussing technical flaws is perhaps fun and entertaining but be careful not to get too caught up in it cause it is just a show. Go out and enjoy your life for a change.

And that new Vulcan chick is HOT HOT HOT!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone asked about Dish Network and whether it has UPN.  It does but you have to pay 1.50 extra to have it added per month.  I just did.  Call the Dish Network 800 number and work through the menus to a customer service rep and they will add it to your programing.

Anyone know what time they are rebroadcasting the episode today (Saturday)  I missed it and want to tape it.

patsue
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any Star Trek is better than none.
When DS9 came out, I was determined not to like it.
View Quote

I wont watch it just because of that FAGGY doctor. JEEZ I hate that guy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top