Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 10:19:55 AM EDT
Quoted:
Imbrogilo is makeing this up. There is no source given in his faked Quote.

This sick mother is once again shamlessly using a national tragidy to propagandise for his cheep ass little party of anarchists.
View Quote

Am I still making this up? What "little party of anarchists" do you claim I belong to?
---------------

Check out the comments of Mary Bono (REPUBLICAN-kalifornia).

[url]www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/9/24/181256.shtml[/url]

Talk of National ID Card Increases
Jim Burns, CNSNews.com
Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2001
Increased talk about the possibility of a national identification
card is drawing increased fire from privacy advocates.
Discussions about an ID card began to re-percolate following the
September 11 attack on the United States, with several Members of
Congress saying the issue was one that merits fresh consideration as
the nation looks for ways to improve national security from terrorist
attacks like those on New York and Washington, D.C.

Following a September 20 report by CNSNews.com, there have been
increasing discussions about the proposed ID cards. Those discussions
grew after Larry Ellison, CEO of software giant Oracle, reportedly
suggested an ID card with a digitized photo and thumbprint.

A spokesperson for Oracle also confirmed that Ellison said he would
be willing to make the technology for such an ID card available to
the government at no cost.

[b]At least one public opinion survey shows significant support for an
ID card, but one that's targeted only at Arabs.

A USA Today/CNN/Gallup Poll last week showed that 49 percent of those
responding would support mandatory IDs for Arabs in the U.S.,
including American citizens of Arab heritage.[/b]

The survey results drew fire from the Libertarian Party Monday, which
criticized the idea as a "Taliban-style" ID.

"Such a response, while understandable in light of the horror and
devastation caused by terrorists is not only wrong, it's un-
American," said Steve Dasbach, the national director of the
party. "To support such a proposal is not only wrong, it's shameful."

Last week, two members of Congress said the idea of a "national ID"
might be an idea worth considering by the whole Congress.

Rep. Mary Bono (R-Calif.) foresees that the issue may grow into an
issue demanding attention from Congress.

Bono said, "When we consider ourselves to be at war, [b]people are going
to have to recognize that some of their freedoms are going to be
gone."[/b]

She said security concerns might be addressed in a variety of
possible ways.

"Whether we are talking national ID cards I don't know, or
fingerprinting of everybody, I don't know where we are going to go
with security. [b]I will always err on the side of caution and err on
the side of safety and security for our people,[/b]" Bono was quoted as
saying.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)

Rusty Payne, press secretary for Bono, said the congresswoman wasn't
endorsing the implementation of national ID cards, but only warning
that such a debate could be in the near future.

"She was simply preparing people, readers and constituents for the
inevitable proposals that would be thrown around," Payne said.

Bono isn't the only one in Congress talking about a national ID card
program.

House Minority Leader Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.) said Congress
needed to quickly debate a number of proposals, possibly including a
national ID card.

Gephardt also pointed out that the American people have rejected the
idea of national ID cards in the past because it was viewed as an
infringement on civil liberties, and the House Democratic leader said
recent events raise fresh questions.

Copyright 2001 CNSNews.com. All rights reserved.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
> "I will always err on the side of caution and err on the side of safety and security for our people," Bono was quoted as saying.
>

Err on the side of LIBERTY you stupid bimbo.

- CD
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, Imbro, I think your attitude towards proposals such as the ones above is pretty clear by now.
Given the situation as it now stands, what would YOU propose be done?
View Quote

Have COMPETENT people use EXISTING CONSTITUTIONAL laws and resources.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#8]
How would an ID card help? As it was they had fake ID. I really think our liberties are more important than some feel good, ineffective laws.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
There is NOTHING wrong with our wiretap laws. How is it that the feds can keep busting "militia terrorists" yet they could not even stop foreign terrorists who have been here planning an attack for years.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#11]
There was some discussion about National ID card's on TV where they admitted that the proposals would not have done anything to prevent what happened.  Then they kinda trailed off, as if the irrelevance of the proposal was somehow irrelevant itself.  They're politicians.  They need to give the illusion of solving a problem, real or imagined, without ever having to show results or review the effects of their plans.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If the terrorists can evade the CIA, NSA and FBI then there is something definitely wrong with their directorship. They already have all of the resources they need to detect and stop the terrorists BEFORE they reach the U.S.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Geez, Imbrog, it seems that since Garandman has been beaten down now it's your turn, along with AntiUSSA.  
View Quote

Ya I guess so. Only the ones doing the beating just show more and more of themselves as being opposed to a Constitutional Republic.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think of this as a polite discussion, not a beating.  Imbro and I probably agree more rather than less on this subject.
Still, isn't it OK to air our differences in a reasoned and polite manner?
View Quote

Right now it is.  If some people get their way, you might need to get a permit before holding an opinion. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
"...The Bill of Rights is a literal and absolute document. The First Amendment doesn't say you have a right to speak out unless the government has a 'compelling interest' in censoring the Internet. The Second Amendment doesn't say you have the right to keep and bear arms until some madman plants a bomb. The Fourth Amendment doesn't say you have the right to be secure from search and seizure unless some FBI agent thinks you fit the profile of a terrorist.

[b]The government has no right to interfere with any of these freedoms under any circumstances."[/b]

-- Harry Browne, 1996 USA presidential candidate, Libertarian Party

[spank]

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Does Israel have a National ID card system?

They have been battling terrorism for decades.  I believe we may want to take a closer look at some of their methods in dealing with terrorism.

I am not for a National ID card system...why should an American citizen, born in this country, be required to carry a card...just because several centuries ago his ancestors were Arab/Indian/[b]"colored?"[/b].

If you hadn't noticed already, some of those "terrorists" come in all colors, including blonde, blue eyed, caucasian...with or without an accent.

Will such anomalies also be required to carry a card?

Whose next?  Gun owners?  Jews?

Can't happen here?  Wake up.  What the heck do you think we have been fighting for for the last few years?  Just the RKBA so we can hunt & compete??...it goes beyond that & we are witnessing it here today in America...of all places.  This is the LAST nation I thought we would even have to consider fighting against such issues.

[b]"...with liberty & justice for all."[/b]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Does Israel have a National ID card system?

They have been battling terrorism for decades.  I believe we may want to take a closer look at some of their methods in dealing with terrorism.
[b]"...with liberty & justice for all."[/b]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

View Quote

This is a start.

[img]http://israelimages.com/medium/12575.jpg[/img]

[img]http://israelimages.com/medium/12390.jpg[/img]

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Have COMPETENT people use EXISTING CONSTITUTIONAL laws and resources.

View Quote

I'll vote for that!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Where's ArmdLbrl ??
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
zazou:

I'm all for arming the public.  Still won't stop the terrorists but at least we can take some with us.

"An armed society is a polite society."
R. Heinlin (?)

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Posted by RAF:
----------
Posted by qwijibo:
Right now it is.  If some people get their way, you might need to get a permit before holding an opinion.
-----

Precisely. And whoa be unto those who hold the "wrong" opinion.

The whole aim of this new "war on terrorism" is a war on Liberty/life itself here in what used to be a great nation. Soon, if the "powers that be" have their way, WE (gunowners, believers in a divine creative being, defenders of the Constitution & BOR) will be labeled as the "terrorists". And of course we all SHOULD know what our fate as "terrorists" would be, shouldn't we?

"In times of universal deceit, telling the Truth can be a revolutionary act." --George Orwell

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree that there must be better co-ordination among the various security services.  Surely that will improve the situation.  But that alone may not be enough, as I alluded in my last post.    
View Quote

This is what that Homeland Security Czar position is supposed to do.  Get the different agencies talking with each other and exchanging information.  Somehow, knowing the government, I think that we'll see it do more than that.  I really wonder what kind of effect it will have on the charters of those agencies that are not supposed to operate inside the US.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]
It's sickening.
You can see them slipping.

The only solutions that I hear are: "do a better job"

I hope that all of those incompent individuals who allowed this to happen are now magically competent.

If the terrorists succeed, the only free Americans will be those in hiding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Bono ain't bad looking, but other than that she's got her head up her rear. Come on, look at her district. It includes Palm Springs for God's sake (Hollywood East). She's a "California" Republican.

Looks what she says about guns:

..."If a woman's body can produce a baby in nine months, Congress can pass legislation protecting that baby in the same amount of time," said Renee Thomas, executive director of the Kentucky chapter of the Million Mom March. "We will press our legislators until November."

That includes Mary Bono, R-Palm Springs, a single mother of two and a handgun owner (she keeps it locked in a safe). Bono is also hopeful that one day Congress will enact common-sense legislation to keep guns out of the hands of children and criminals, while still allowing law-abiding citizens the right to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Bono supports trigger locks and a background check of all purchases at gun shows. She supports banning large ammunition clips and not allowing anyone under 21 to purchase a gun. At the same time, she says Congress needs to find out why all the laws now on the books aren't working or aren't being enforced.
View Quote

Does that sound conservative?

Here is a clarification of her statement regarding Id cards:

September 21, 2001

Bono Clarifies Quote on National ID Card

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Mary Bono (R-CA-44) today issued a statement to clarify remarks made to a local newspaper in response to a question about what security proposals Congress would be considering because of recent terrorist attacks.  The following is Congresswoman Bono’s statement:  
“In response to a recent interview conducted by a reporter for a local paper, the content of which was posted on the paper's website, some have suggested that I support consideration of a National ID Card program.

“I do not support a National ID Card program and if Congress were to consider this proposal, I would vote against it.”

“In fact, I was responding to a question regarding what types of proposals may be
brought before Congress to deal with this major terrorist threat to our national security. Congress should have full and open discussion on all suggestions or proposals to enhance our national security  I also stated earlier in the interview that it is appropriate to find the right balance on any legislative proposals during this time of crisis.”
View Quote

[url]www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca44_bono/idcard.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Freedom's Value & the War on Terrorism

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=54948[/url]

[%(]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think of this as a polite discussion, not a beating.  Imbro and I probably agree more rather than less on this subject.
View Quote

My response wasn't about you but another member who was quoted at the top of my first post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top