Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 4:10:16 PM EDT
i love to shoot. i shoot fairly often, usually twice a week. and most times i will shoot at least a hundred .223. i get the feeling that it is time to cut back on my centerfire ammo consumption, and just stick to .22's for a bit, at least untill ben laudenum gets his ass kicked.
willy [oj]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen any precipitous increases in ammo prices or decline in availability... yet. So I don't know if I'll curtail my shooting. But then, I don't shoot nearly as much as you do. I do keep what I consider a comfortable stock of ammo (600-1000 rounds) & rotate the new purchases through it. I suppose if I have trouble buying new ammo, I'll start slowing down my consumption of the older stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I shoot 500 rnds of various centerfire a week. I'm not slowing down as long as I can replace it. I like to keep my edge.
View Quote

I shoot about a third of that in centerfire ammo because that is all I have time/money for. I have pretty much given up shooting black powder, bec. I am putting all my funds towd. centerfire rifle and pistol ammo. BP is also getting expensive, too.

I am trying to buy up all the ammo I can find, but I can't afford big $ amounts at this time, just the odd box or two of ammo every day or so, instead of buying newspapers/coffee, etc.

I should get a .22 conversion kit for my AR- one more thing I should buy....

What I do have LOTS of, is fired brass, mostly .303 (HXP) and .223 (SA/PMP) that I have to learn how to reload....
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Willy,
Increase your vodka dosage and you will be o.k.
I am sure this is a rare moment of weakness. You will be forgiven.
God's Mercy,
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno guys.  Just this morning I got an e-mail
from Eric the Ammoman saying he just got in some
genuine Lake City Nato M193, 2000 production,
in sealed packs.  It baffles me!

DanM
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What I do have LOTS of, is fired brass, mostly .303 (HXP) and .223 (SA/PMP) that I have to learn how to reload....
View Quote

Hope you mean the SA/PMP from the Gazelle box... the boxer ammo.  If you are saving the PMP from the battlepacks, it is BERDAN primed.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
How is Wolfe availability in your area?  Seems there was / is a shipload of it in NY that every dealer was waiting on.  Any news on that?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
[size=2][blue][b]... a picture is worth, well in this case at least $325.
Gotta get a Dillon RL550B if your serious about "exercising hardware" as much as we do![/b][/blue][/size=2]
[img]http://www.nokio.fi/dillon/images/rl550b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I called 6 wholesale distributers.. only one had any .223.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Winston, I feel your pain.  I have a bud who owns a local gun shop.  On a shelf in his back room sits a Dillon 1050.  Gathering dust.  Used maybe ten times.  Hasn't been touched in two years.  He has no plans to use it again.  AND HE WON"T SELL IT TO ME!

It hurts every time I see it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hope you mean the SA/PMP from the Gazelle box... the boxer ammo.  If you are saving the PMP from the battlepacks, it is BERDAN primed.  

View Quote

Why?  What's wrong with BERDAN primers?  Are they corrosive/explosive (read: damaging to firing pin,etc)???  can someone answer this?

-inuhbad
View Quote

I've heard it is not worth it to reload berdan primed ammo.  If you look in the case, you see two small flash holes instead of the regular larger one.  While it is not impossible to get the primer out and reload, it is not practical.

Therefore, I trash all berdan primed ammo after I shoot and keep all the boxer primed for future reloading.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#18]
i will add my 2 cents worth here. this past weekend (i work part time on the weekends in the gun section of the store) i could not get the ammo off the shelf fast enough. customers were comming in and buying everything that i had in stock in 9, 45, 308, and 223. there is nothing left except shotgun in 12 and 20.

what i noticed a few months ago was that no IMI was available. that was about 6 months ago. i'm not that bright but i thought it was rather strange. i do have some but never enough for my family.

i just hope in a couple three months the stocking level is back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top