Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 12:23:12 PM EDT
Can someone please explain who Carl Vinson is or was? Must of been someone very important to have a major capital ship named after him. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:27:54 PM EDT
Read all about it: [url]http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/c-vinson.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2001 12:33:30 PM EDT by TimeToFeedTheHogs]
IIRC Chuckie V. was a Senator. I do not know which state he represented. I stand corrected, He was a Congressman When I was on the USS Enterprise and the Chuckie V. was berthed across from us we used to wonder if it was welded to the pier.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:10:58 PM EDT
TimeToFeedTheHogs- Pot calling the kettel black. How long were you guys in overhaul? Finding a whole machine room sealed off, doesn't look good either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:24:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Andrewh: TimeToFeedTheHogs- Pot calling the kettel black. How long were you guys in overhaul? Finding a whole machine room sealed off, doesn't look good either.
View Quote
I left the Big "E" in '91. I don't know how long the overhaul lasted but I do know it wasn't going so well up to the point of when I left. I remember hearing a story about right after the Mighty Enterprise was commisioned that they found a space sealed but never heard such a claim after the overhaul. Not throwing stones really, we were just a bit jealous that you guys never seemed to make a wake.[:D] I must say though that If we had been shackled to the pier like the Chuckie V. seemed to be I would not have been so fortunate as to have visited the Countries that I did. Did they ever break the welds on the pier before the millenium came in?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:37:20 PM EDT
Well I wasn't on the chuckie v, I was on the Texas and arkanpig. But the chuckie v made it out for the 94 Westpac that I got to leave before, so yep just before the end. They were in bremerton with the Texas just before she got Decommed. I just remember stories about the Big E while I was in, the machinery space is the only I think I can post about.
Top Top