Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2001 11:13:06 AM EDT
[bounce] First handgun I've owned in nearly 10 years - now my 3 gun set is complete. I got a new Colt Commander - parkerized, I can't wait to take it out tomorrow. I was looking at a Kimber first, but for nearly $200 more, I'll settle for Colt right now. I've been wantin' one since I was a wee lad...

Also got my CCW application packet today, and want to know your guy's recommendations on a carry rig. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]Blade-Tech IWB[/b]

[url]http://shop.blade-tech.com/merchant.ihtml?id=14&step=2[/url]

Water proof, sweat proof, virtually indestructable, retains shape, wipe clean, wash clean...can't go wrong with Kydex.

[b]Ky-Tac[/b] makes a great product also.

They are custom handcrafted, one at a time, for the specific gun model they are designed to carry. The result is superior fit and uncompromising function.

I can't say enough good things about my Ky-Tac holsters.  Yes...more expensive than the Blade-Tech but worth every penny...to me.  I prefer it over my Blade-Tech but would not give up either.

[url]http://members.aol.com/KYTAC/[/url]

[8D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
btw, congrats on your new Colt!  Those 1911s are an old design but I prefer them over other handguns....they just shoot better...for me.

[pistol]

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the vote for Blade Tech but you may want to check out the Fobus as well.

Fobus is a lot of holster for the money.

Any of the "plastic" holsters seem to be harder of the finish than leather, but with a parked gun, it shouldn't make a difference.  

I use a blade tech for my 1911's in Stainless and the Fobus with a Glock 22.  

My "pretty" gun (a blued Colt Commander) goes in a leather Askins Avenger which may be a good choice if you prefer leather.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 7 holsters for my Kimber Pro Carry (same size as Commander) including the Blade-Tech IWB, and the one I almost always wear is my Milt Sparks Versa Max II. It's really comfortable, it rides right, it flexes with you, it holds the butt of the weapon against your back, there's a steel collar inside the top of the holster so it doesn't collapse when you unholster the weapon.

Give Allan Yoast a call at (512)247-2049 or email [email][email protected][/email]. He has them in stock and will get it right out to you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
OK...here's the deal.  DON'T GO CHEAP ON A HOLSTER IF IT'S FOR CONCEALED CARRY.  For that matter, make sure you buy a quality belt too that is the right width and strong buckle.

It blows my mind that people spend hundreds of dollars on a pistol for CCW, and then buy a $20-40 POS holster.  The holster is what is used to present the firearm in a life or death situation...and is therefore worth the investment.

I agree with Jarhead about Milt Sparks VersaMax II holster.  I use one on a Govt. Model.  Definitely get an Inside The Waistband (IWB) holster for concealed carry.  Any of Milt Sparks will do just fine.  Also, Mitch Rosen has great rigs.

Not only get an IWB, but get a holster that has a thin layer of steel reinforcement to keep the mouth of the holster open.  You should be able to re-holster your weapon with one hand and not looking (always keep your eye on the potential threat).  Also, a good suggestion for 1911 carriers such as you and I is to have a piece of leather that protects your "love handle" from the safety.  Sparks and Rosen usually have these features.

Don't go with plastic or whatever-the-hell-it-is that Fobus and others use.  Not for concealed carry.  If it were a duty rig outside the belt, no problem...that would be a good decision for long-life of the holster.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all your suggestions! Now's the fun part, shopping for the goodies to go with the gun [:)]

Milt Sparks is looking like a good product. He's got an 8-12 week backlog, which is probably how long my CCW will take.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Mitch Rosen ARG-Slim or Milt Sparks SS-II... Both IWB holsters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
wore a P7 in a Sparks Summer Special IWB on a Sparks lined belt 1)every day, 2)all day, 3)at work, 4)in Florida, 5)for 4 years.
Same belt, same holster. No real complaints except...it WILL absorb sweat on a long hot day, and this may be enough of a reason to try "plastic". Sparks also makes an "Executive" (I think) which has a little more leather surface between you and the pistol. Don't skimp on the belt.  Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend [url]www.comp-tac.com[/url]
I have 5 of their holsters. I carry with their "shirt tucker" IWB. If you look at it from the top you can see that it has a curve to it that fits the body better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd recommend a Galco belt to carry your 1911.
I have three & all have lasted & endured very well.  Pricey but worth it.

[url]http://www.usgalco.com/[/url]  

Belts:
[url]http://www.usgalco.com/ContentFrame.asp?PReq=Fast/HolsterSelectionList.asp[/url]

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Love my Galco holsters. SS2 shoulder rig is very comfortable and non-visible. The wide shoulder straps spread the load. Got the 2 mag. carrier for mine. Also use the Galco Royal Guard inside the pants holster. Doesn't have a thumb  break but thats cool with me. These have pretty much ended my "Quest for the perfect holster" BTW.. these will fit any size 1911 model.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
How does the Milt Sparks Watch Six compare to the Versa Max II ?  Does anyone own both.  I know the Watch Six doesnt have the steel neck.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Milt Sparks makes fine rigs.  I have had a Executive 1, for several years and it is a piece of art. Their new Watch six sounds very impressive, and the price is very reasonable.  I have my doubts regarding the merits of a steel reinforced opening.  Might be important for cops, but my Dad, spent 30 yrs with the CHP, using a clam shell spring loaded rig for his 6" S&W M14.  When questioned about the need to use 2 hands to reholster, his reply was always.."Hell I just stick the thing in my waistband while I handcuff the SOB".  Worked for him...  For good quality, at a great price check out Dillon.  Got a
Belt Slide for $23.. Quality is outstanding... Ray
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top