Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 9:58:51 PM EDT
I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself and ask what people think of the different variants of ARs out there. I have been "reading" for a couple of days and must say this site is great.

I have dicided that I want one as my next rifle. I don't know all that much about them and don't want to make a stupid purchase. I am curious as to which models are better than others, problems that I need to be aware of and personal experiences that people would be willing to share about the ins and outs of these rifles. I will be selling off some of my stuff so I can get one. I do not think I care to spend the extra on a pre ban either. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
twins
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Go buy the 1st Bushmaster rifle you can get your hands on, NOW.
Get a dozen USGI or Thermold magazines and a couple thousand rounds of American made ammo, NOW.
Go practice ASAP.  Get a couple more thousand rounds of ammo.

[b][blue]BusMaster007[/blue][/b]

P.S.  I married an IOWA girl.  Nice State; Great Wimmen!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a colt. Thats all you will need.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the BM, but only if the price is not gouging. Their customer service is very good. I prefer the chrome lined barrel on at least ONE of an afficionado's rifles. I like the fact that they are the only currently available lower that will run an RDIAS unmodified, assuming you had a real registered one, paid the $200 tax, and installed C3 internals LEGALLY, speaking hypothetically, that is.

GO USA! FRAG THE TERRORISTS!!! BEFORE THEY GET SOME NUKES PLEASE!!!!!! [pissed]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lower that will run an RDIAS unmodified, SOME
View Quote

What is a RDIAS  ??
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
As the newscasters like to spew---"...afullyautomaticmachinegunassualtweapon..."
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Twins-

Better yet, use the 'search' option and spare us the unnecessary drama. There are a myriad of similar topics. No need to open another can of worms, unless that was your original intention?

In any case, good luck selecting an AR that best suits you.

Edited because I forgot to say: "Welcome Aboard!"
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
RDIAS= Registered Drop In Auto Sear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the welcome.

Not at all, my intent is to get as much info as  I can about these rifles. I had not really considered using the search, it slipped my mind actually, ok I did not even think about it. I was also wanting to get any info about new products/models out there that might not have been covered in the previous queries. As well
as average prices I should be expecting to pay.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
screw the chrome.. it dont work for anything except swamp people in a salt mine..pat
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster ....

If you care for Image .. A Colt then...since people always ask ..is it a colt ..

I plan on keep my guns so ... image does not matter and actually believe Bushmasters to be better .. But have some colts too, not because of value thingi .. just happen to run into them.

I am also liking Armalite now..
I love their 20inch m14A4 upper I put on my bushmaster lower and added the "camo" Kit and a Tasco 10*40SS Sniper Scope.  The Flat-Top came with SCope Mount and was well worth the money!

Then again Bushmaster also has new Camo available in 20 inch.

Choice Armalite or Bushmaster would be good!

Good luck with Decision making ..[:\]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome Twins,

I'm not sure what purpose you are looking for the new AR15. If its just basic target practice and defense, the A2 configurations are a good choice. Basically the A2 configuration has the carrying handle on it. You can get varing barrel lengths from 14.5inches with an extended muzzle brake, 16inch, or 20inch barrel. My preference for balance, velocity, and length is the 16inch barrel.

The A2s as opposed to the flattops don't offer as many sight options, but you will always have iron sights that will never fall off or become lose under normal circumstances. If you get a flattop you have to add pop up rear iron sight or removable carrying handle with sight on it.

As for brands and cost most people would agree with me here when I recommend Bushmaster, Armalite, and Rock River Arms as the tops. Olympic and DPMS brands are also to be considered. For a 16inch Bushmaster Carbine with carrying handle you should be able to get one for about $700.00 easy. Armalite around $800.00 (lifetime warranty is included), Rock River Arms I believe $700-$750, and Olympic around $650.00.

For the money, reliability, customer service, and having a chromelined barrel and chamber the Bushmasters are hard to beat.

There is so much more information do some searches on the industry forums.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info, at least I know where and at what price to begin looking.

twins
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Another question, could someone tell me the url for the top three manufacturer's web sit
Bushmaster, etc... I already know colts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a colt. Thats all you will need.
View Quote

I have a post-ban Colt.  Get a Bushmaster, they don't have the pesky sear-block.

Armalite [url]http://www.armalite.com[/url]
Bushmaster [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/[/url]
American Spirit Arms [url]http://www.gunkits.com/rifles.html[/url]
Rock River Arms [url]http://www.rockriverarms.com/rifles/default.htm[/url]
Olympic Arms [url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]
DPMS [url]http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=90&User_ID=1225456&st=4572&st2=55547422&st3=534762145&CATID=493&ObjectGroup_ID=1212[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#15]
buy two!!

FANTOM
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Read the Sept 20 issue of Shotgun News.  A lot of good info there on AR's in general & a good run down on available accessories.  The author selected a Rock River & loved it.

Rock River Arms have been getting great reviews lately due to their attention to quality & customer service.

Look in the Ltd Edition Group Purchase forum for info ref a configuration we did for this group.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Visit [url]www.castle-arms.com[/url] to check out the LEGP's in detail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#18]
If you buy a Colt, then, yes, people will ask you "Is it a Colt?" and you'll have to hang your head and shuffle your feet and say "Yeah..." and they'll know you're a newbie.

You can get better for less.  It's a lot like a Harley...you can get a better, faster bike for half the price, but it's not a Harley and that's...well....that's......
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Welcome,

Please read Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
^
[size=1]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY  Implant Micro-chip[/size=1][url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth
Liberate Your Mind

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Twins,
Welcome aboard.  Best advice would be to save your money and get the one you want, not the first one you see.  Handle a couple and shoot a couple and see whether you want a carbine or rifle.  
Take it easy,
Ice
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

twins
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A B & C

Armalite

BushMaster

Colt

These are the three big name brands and you can't go wrong with either one, generally speaking.
From there it goes downhill. It's like asking a crowd, What's the best car? You're going to get a who lot of different opinions for different reasons.

Armalite is usually the most expensive of the 3.

Colt has political/manufacture issues-
read about pin size, small pin or large pin?

Bushmaster isn't a colt or Armalite, so it is
usually the most affordable.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top