Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2001 1:15:22 PM EDT
I have my firearms simply 'cuz, I like things that go BOOM (former USMC 0311)

Plus the fun part is pissing Liberals off. Like Frankenstein & her buddy Shmuck or the Clits.

LIFE... if you can't have fun then be a liberal.

ACGUNNER

PEACE IS A LONG FORGOTTEN DREAM
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It is beautifully ugly.  It is something I have wanted since I was young and would watch "SWAT" all the while playing with my plastic M16 that made machinegun noises, they used to actually LOOK like guns, too!!!  To me, it has always represented, along with the AK, the ultimate "hands off" weapon, the gun nobody wants me to have.  It is eerily accurate, moreso than I.  With proper care, as ALL good machines need, it is absolutely flawlessly reliable.  It is versatile.  It upsets Liberals and crybabies.  It starts great conversations.  I could go on and on.  Man, I love my Ar !!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Semper Fi ACGUNNER!

My answer:  Because they are beautifully evil-lookin' and it makes Di Fi mad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
HMMMM.  To me it is just a plain service type rifle.  No Walter Mitty tendancies I am aware of.  I got over that stuff a long time ago.

They are very simple to work on, VERY ergonomic, damned accurate, and the sights are much better than the M1 and M14 type rifles.  

Commie liberals in Alaska do not say anything bad about guns.  Gun grabber politicians can be identified by their silence on the issue.  Even the Bolshevic Anchorage mayoral candidate Mark Begich wanted to can the police cheif over his opposition to signing class 3 permits.  The only folks to openly praise gun control are the pinko editors McClatchy rotates up to Alaska from Sacramento and their hired hands.

They are the cheap way to do service rifle, too!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The US Rifle M1 will [b] ALWAYS [/b] be my first love.

But, I like the AR [b] becasue [/b] it is a wepons SYSTEM. Infinite variations / configurations. Almost a one size fits all platform. You can adapt it to almost any situation.

Itss a beautiful thing. Not as beautiful as my M1, but.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel it is my duty.  And it's really fun to shoot![:D]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
well, :confused:     because i  :o     i just kida like it (them, all 6 ):D:D
gunguyr
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
well, :confused:     because i  :o     i just kinda like it (them, all 6 ):D:D
gunguyr
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
well, [>:/]     because i  [:D] i just kinda like it (them, all 6 )[uzi]
gunguyr
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
My reason.

Because I can.[:D]

Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... and the sights are much better than the M1 and M14 type rifles.  

!
View Quote

On what do you base this statement???

Better?? Maybe (different strokes for different folks)

But "much better??"

I don't think so. Both have windage and elevation, and the hooded NM sights for the M1 / M1A are excellent.

And don't compare the USGI M1 / M1A (WWII VINTAGE) sights with the A2 sights under present usage. You've got to compare the hooded NM m1 / M1A sights to the A2. Compare the A1 to the USGI sights of WWII and Korea. The M1 / M1A sights would WHIP those A1 sights.

In that context, teh M1 / M1A sights are WAY BETTER than the A1's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the sights of the AR-15 and M1A about the same. (I can't love one of my babies more than the other! [:)] )  I think the M1A has a longer sight radius and smaller front blade, which give better long-range accuracy, but more difficult quick acquisition.

Oh ya:  I own an AR-15 because it is a militiaman’s rifle [:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I like mine because it's an [b]"EVIL DEATH MACHINE"![/b] [}:D]

Plus, it shoots nice and looks pretty.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I like it because I can have it and I use it for work. Nothing gets peoples attention like an ar pointing at them!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Just because I can!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Why ask why?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Here we go again....

Why?

Semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip and are designed to maximize death and injury from a very rapid rate of fire.
View Quote

That's why.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a lefty and semi-auto works for me.  Like the old saying,"if you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand."
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is beautifully ugly.  It is something I have wanted since I was young and would watch "SWAT" all the while playing with my plastic M16 that made machinegun noises, they used to actually LOOK like guns, too!!!
View Quote

We must be about the same age.  I had that plastic rifle and I used to barrel roll into the living room with it and light the whole place up with the theme song playing in my head!  That show really did suck, I saw a rerun the other day and about died.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#19]
It pisses off liberals and democraps!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#20]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
... and the sights are much better than the M1 and M14 type rifles.

!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On what do you base this statement???

SNIPPAGE............

Hey Garandman!  Don't take this as a flame, but this was not a statement I made lightly.

I have experience with all the sights in question.  I have a dozen or so CMP garands and competed and practiced with a M1A for a couple seasons.  After the first year I upgraded the M1a sights to the NM type.  Better, but not quite right.  I am not shy with a file or metal work, but it was not a rifle I could shoot easily no matter what.

I bought my first AR, an SP1, in 1984 right out of bootcamp.  Yeah, the sights suck as bad as the rest of the rifle.

I built up a DCM type AR15 a year ago with target sights.  The small aperature and superior ergonomics allow me to place my eye very close to the aperture and allow me to place my head consistantly on the rifle.  My practice scores and consistancy jumped dramatically.  I do not feel like I am fighting the rifle as with the M1/M14 types, and the ease of the sights.

Also, in my opinion, the sight radius arguement is vastly overrated.  

If I were to rate the sights - non combat use - I would rate the A2 target sights top, followed by the M1/M14 target sights, then the GI grade M1/M14, with the A1 sights at the bottom.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
It's ergonomicaly designed, accurate, easy to work on, versatile. There are myriad accessories, ammo, parts, and reloading components. So, what's not to like?

Potshot
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Corvette of firearms.

Urge all Americans to own one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#23]
It makes for a great political statement [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Semper Fi ACGUNNER and DAVEG
I just like 'em...alot
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody else knows of a weapon system that is as versatile ?

DAVEG & jwf,

Either of you ever served in Barracks Duty? Was w/Marine Barracks "B" Co. in Subic back in 1991.

ACGUNNER
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Because m16/AR15 was the first western rifle (after the StG44) to adopt an intermediate small caliber high velocity cartridge, marking a turning point of thinking for modern battle rifles.
Ang because I find it the most beautiful Assault rifle ever made...
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#27]
When in the 101st Airborne we were issued them just before going to VN and after the M14 we, at least me loved it -- you felt like you could kick the crap out of any army with it.  And, by the way, we didn't have any (most of us) problems with it that a lot of troops seemed to have -- and we were "line rats" (old day term) Infantry with a lot of boonie time.

18-20 years young, the 101st, the M-16, we were there to kick ass -- no names!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally by pogo
I built up a DCM type AR15 a year ago with target sights. The small aperature and superior ergonomics allow me to place my eye very close to the aperture and allow me to place my head consistantly on the rifle. My practice scores and consistancy jumped dramatically. I do not feel like I am fighting the rifle as with the M1/M14 types, and the ease of the sights.
View Quote

Oh, that does clear it up, and I think you just made my point for me.

You said "Superior ergonomics." Yes, the AR's [b] ERGONOMICS [/b] are better that teh M1 / M1A's - no one would argue that point. IMO, THAT is what led to your better scores - NOT the actual sights.

My M1 / M1A sights are ROCK SOLID. My A2 sights (especially the rear) have play in them. IMO, the NM M1 / M1A sights are at least equal to the A2. I suspect you are contributing TOO MUCH of your improved scores to the A2 sights, and not enuf to the AR's better ergonomics. Pistol grip, in-line recoil(bolt on a lower plane than the top of the buttstock), lighter loads for teh ammo, possibly a muzzle break on the AR all would contribute to better scores. But, IMO, the sights really had little to do with it. At least as compared to the M1 / M1A.

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#29]
reliable, durable, versatile, accurate, great for hunting, great for room entry, a work of art, a symbol of freedom, a finely tuned military weapon, liberals hate them, being part of a well regulated militia everyone should own one ......

need i say more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top