Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 3:44:29 PM EDT
Today a tornado touched down and did lots of damage at the University of Maryland Campus. I was in a building there and was just leaving when it happened. Man, I don't know how you midwesterners do it!!!!  That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Several fatalities, buildings destroyed, cars tossed around like toys. Unreal. And I thought the last two weeks of stress were behind me!  Now I get to face the prospects of dealing with storm damage down there, as well as Pentagon related work. On top of that, I got home and looked at the news radar, and the storm is heading right for my house, sans twisters for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you referring to the College Park campus???  OMG, I went to school there for 2 years then transferred to UM Augsburg, one of the european divisions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Passed us either to the east or west.  Guess we were lucky in Northern VA.   Watching reports on the TV now and they are talking about the damage in MD and The Plains VA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Had some nice thunderboomers & buckets of rain pass through here not long ago....
Sky didn't look too friendly...
Luckily, we live in a tight little valley...I don't think a tornado could nail us here...
Only worry is the rickety old dam holding back Antietam lake...The house is brick though, so it shouldn't float away...[:)]

...Good to hear you stayed in Kansas "Dorothy" [:)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear your ok.  I am Cecil County and so far all we are getting is lots of rain, but were keeping a eye out for it just in case.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the house is safe. I've only ever seen one other tornado, in Texas a few years ago. This one I watched up close. It picked up a car with two people in it and they were ejected and killed, according to the news. I didn't see that happen (luckily) but I saw it level a fire-fighter's training facility. No fatalities there though thank God. Man I can't wait for September to end - it's been a bad month all around. The only thing good that happened to me is my cousin survived the WTC thing. That and I bought a C-Mag from Ruben, but it hasn't even arrived yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glad to hear your ok.  I am Cecil County and so far all we are getting is lots of rain, but were keeping a eye out for it just in case.
View Quote

Hey! A local!  I'm up in Fawn Grove, Pa.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Elkton, MD. I haven't really been out your way.  Any good ranges out that way?  Nothing that good around here, most ranges only go out 80-100yds.  Would love to find a place that would go out 300yds.  
Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Nah, just the Peach Bottom Fish and Game Association. They have a 100 yard range. It is a lot nicer to shoot at than Elk Neck though, and it's privately owned by the club. They are AR15 friendly, but there is a rapid fire rule - one shot every three seconds or so, loosely enforced. For $25 a year, you can shoot all you want and use the club house and other facilities.  Most of my time in Cecil has been at the drag strip (used to race a lot). I get up there for work now and then - we have a little fiber optic repeater site just off, I think it's Malory road or O'Mally or something like that. Just across Rt 40 from the big auto recycler's south of Elkton on 40.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Gus...
When the hell are you 'gonna come out shooting with us ???

All work and no play makes gus a dull boy...
You 'gotta come out and play for shaggy to let you fondle his toys...

You know there's a good gunshow this weekend up in Fort Washington...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, from the looks of things, I'll probably be working at College Park this weekend. Maybe not, it depends on if they get power restored to the building my crap is in down there. If they get power restored, I won't have to work, barring any other friggin catasrophes. If they don't my life will suck. More.

Is Paspecops going to have the Oct Schutzenfest?
Yep, I definately need to get up there and dirty up some barrels with youz guys. Whereabouts is Ft. Washington?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I work on the University of Maryland campus and actually watched the tornado pass by my window.  It hadn't touched down as far as I could see but it was as big as hell.  It tore panels and shingles off the new basketball stadium and lightning hit a large crane on the construction site.  Pretty messed up.  

I heard two people died when their car was picked up and slammed against a building.  Another student is in critical condition.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
but I saw it level a fire-fighter's training facility.  
View Quote

Are you talking about MFRI (Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute)?  It's just a couple of blocks from campus, on the south east side (I think)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, from the looks of things, I'll probably be working at College Park this weekend. Maybe not, it depends on if they get power restored to the building my crap is in down there. If they get power restored, I won't have to work, barring any other friggin catasrophes. If they don't my life will suck. More.

Is Paspecops going to have the Oct Schutzenfest?
Yep, I definately need to get up there and dirty up some barrels with youz guys. Whereabouts is Ft. Washington?
View Quote

As far as I know, Em's still having the shindig...Not sure if there's a date set yet. He just had a little get-together this last weekend, but I couldn't make it...(Dad's B-day)
Hope you can get up to his place in October, He's got a REAL nice place on ALOT of land in the middle of bumfucksville...
The echo of machinegun fire through the valley sounds AWESOME...(Thanks to Shaggy)  

The Fort Washington show was pretty decent this spring, so I'm DEFINATELY going this weekend.(Same promoter)
Ft.Washington is about (guessing) 20 minutes East of Valley Forge on the PA turnpike...
Get off Turnpike at Ft.Wash. exit, stay to left after toll booth, go to first intersection and turn right...follow twisty-winding road back into business park area...You'll hit another small light,turn right, keep going back 'till you get to the convention center on the left...You can't miss it...
At the Spring show, there was also a craft show in the adjacent building...
Mini-vans and soccer moms to one parking lot, pick-up trucks and rednecks to the other...'Kinda funny to see...[:)]
It's a better show than the H-burg one I was just at a few weeks ago...
I'm taking a couple buddies down with me...
And lotsa $$$
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
but I saw it level a fire-fighter's training facility.  
View Quote

Are you talking about MFRI (Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute)?  It's just a couple of blocks from campus, on the south east side (I think)?
View Quote

I do believe that's it. I didn't know what it was when I was there, but that's what they were saying on the news when I got home. 4 firefighters injured including one that was trapped and later freed. None of the injuries were life threatening.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I work on the University of Maryland campus and actually watched the tornado pass by my window.  It hadn't touched down as far as I could see but it was as big as hell.  It tore panels and shingles off the new basketball stadium and lightning hit a large crane on the construction site.  Pretty messed up.  

I heard two people died when their car was picked up and slammed against a building.  Another student is in critical condition.
View Quote

I was in the basement of building 10 on Fieldhouse Drive and had just left and was driving off campus when it hit. I have only ever been that scared once before, and that was in a car that was out of control at around 100 mph.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Gus... Unfortunately we southerners have to deal with tornadoes from time to time.  They *are* really scary!  Almost surreal in the moment that they hit.  Keep your head down... the last one that came thru here came within 100 yards of our house.

Good to hear you are well, buddy.  Take care.

ARnSC
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was in the basement of building 10 on Fieldhouse Drive and had just left and was driving off campus when it hit. I have only ever been that scared once before, and that was in a car that was out of control at around 100 mph.
View Quote

I was in the Technology Advancement Program building on Technology Drive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]
That wasn't anywhere near Salisbury was it ???
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That wasn't anywhere near Salisbury was it ???
View Quote

No - actually when I watched it on the news, they showed this particular one forming over the Pentagon!  Talk about weird!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You should come to the north Texas area.  People sit out on a lawn chair with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other.  They just sit back and watch the twisters roar by...lots of fun!
View Quote

I saw my first one in Plano, Tx., but it was miles away. You can rarely see for miles in Maryland, and this one was only a couple hundred yards from me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Gus,I am glad you are okay, unfortunately two of your fellow students were killed.
[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-000076767sep25.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dnation[/url]
Tornadoes ripped across the Washington region Monday afternoon, killing two students and injuring about 50 at the University of Maryland campus in College Park. The twisters splintered tall trees, overturned automobiles and tore the roofs from stores and houses from Culpeper, Va., to Laurel, Md
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I am also in the College Park area and escaped the tornado by hiding in a basement.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I live outside Frederick MD, just caught the heavy rain thing.  Nice to see the other locals poking their heads up.  Whassup guys!!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gus,I am glad you are okay, unfortunately two of your [b]fellow students[/b] were killed.
View Quote

I wish I were that young that they were my fellow students! All my alumni are from U of A from 1979 to 1983 or so. I'm an engineer with "A" major communications company and we have network nodes there. When I graduated, womenz were big into Terricloth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top