Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2001 10:57:48 AM EDT
I am filling out my Application for Permit to Carry and am having a hard time deciding what to put in the "Statement of Justification" or why do you think you need it. I'm applying just for self defense. The officer that gave me the ap said self defense alone was not a good enough reason.
I know I dont have chance but I want the sheriff to have to tell me to my face why I was disapproved.

Any advice from people that have been through this(anyone from Iowa)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello Iowaredneck!
I too feel your plight- I am currently fighting the system here in Iowa. I have a good friend who is a state trooper and his advice to me was this-find whatever miniscule yet truthful fact about who you are and what you do to make it seem that you "need" to carry a firearm. ex. I work with Dairy cattle and carry needles, tranquilizers, medications that could be construed as addictive. Along with the fact that I could theoretically be robbed of these items, dairy bulls are extremely dangerous animals by nature. I have never actually been in danger yet of being hurt, but who is to say that someday I won't! ;)

P.S. What county? I'm having a heck if a time, but my inlaws in Ida County just went in and filled out the forms!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting a CCW in Iowa is at the discretion of the county sheriff.

In Polk County, you have to take an approved training course, and then you put "Demonstrated responsibility" in the Justification section. If you don't know what to put there, the clerk at the Sheriff's office tells you that. If you haven't taken the course, you don't get the permit.

Check with your county sheriff's office. They should be able to tell you what to put there, and what your chances are of getting a CCW. If the sheriff is going to give you a permit, they will tell you what to put there. If they aren't going to give you a permit, it doesn't matter what you put there. Near as I can tell, some sheriffs give the permit to anyone who meets their qualifications (kind of a county shall-issue policy, like in Polk) and others pretty much don't give them except to friends and family. The previous Polk County Sheriff only gave them to a rare few, and to people who demonstrated that it was a job requirement (private security).
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys! Another Iowa native here. I had a permit to carry about 10 years ago, and the reason I put on the form was "Outdoor Sports". They said no problem and they put on my license that I could carry "on the way to..during..and on the way home from outdoor sports" Then I had to go thru all the hoops which included getting fingerprinted, taking an 8 hour course,(which I dont mind saying I got 99% out of 100%). But I didnt have to go to the range and qualify because I was not applying for a security or police position. I dont know what it would be like now to get one, I let mine expire years ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice Sigshooter! I live in Polk County and maybe I will try to get one again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine no problem But I live in Boone Co. which the Sheriff is pretty cool. I just put down that I travel alot to eastern Ia and wanted personal protection for me and my family but that doesnt cut it in some Co.   [sniper]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking of applying for one also. I live in Woodbury Co. and have heard that the sheriff doesn't give them out very easily. I guess I won't know unless I apply. What if I put "Constitutional Right under the 2nd Amendment" on my application? I wonder what the sheriff would think of that:)
Steve
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy crap, have all you Iowa members just been lurking? Geez how about organizing a little and having a shoot!!

I think we need to join together like chopperdave and work on fighting the system! it is really a sensless discrimination the way it works now.

I live in Mahaska County and the sheriff here basically issues them so restrictive that they are good for nothing except maybe purchasing. He puts on them good for hunting, not valid in city limits and not valid in a vehicle- WTF? I asked him once and he stated that he didn't want his deputies pulling over a car with an armed driver. But yet permits issued in other counties are good anywhere in the state? Guess thats what I get for living in a "methhead" county, but all the more reason I'd like to be able to carry!! I was even told once that I needed a permit to be out target shooting- OK Bullshit, I hate how Iowa is about 10 yrs behind everyone else, and are even now further with Villsack-O'-shit!

I haven't really found out yet, so maybe you guys could help, but I have heard of someone successfully suing here in Iowa? any info on that?

I was at the gun show on Sat and really suprised to find out the new Polk Co. sheriff is issuing them! I am also a certified NRA instructor, the course is really easy and fun, so if you live in Polk and are considering it, go for it.

Again, stop being so quiet on the board guys and speak up. I have a great range down here with the Izzac Walton League, quiet and all to myself most of the time. Don't be strangers and come on down, I'll even let ya shoot my LEGP rifle!!!

It is like everyone said, either your Co. Sheriff issues or he doesn't. A little asking around as to what to put on the application should be easy. If not it probably won't matter what you put.

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I like what steveamy said "Constitutional Right under the 2nd Amendment"
Im going to call Vilsack's office and have them send me info on it I want to know just what the law says.
I live in Washington county.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
IaJack....Vilsack O' shit...LOL! That killed me!
He is bent on getting rid of our gun rights. A typical Democrap
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I was gonna scan mine and post a pic just so you guys could see what one looks like., but it had information on there about my you guys just don't need to know.

To the guy in Woodbury County unless you can come up with a profesional reason to carry the sheriff here will not issue you one. Then if you do come up with a reason a profesional permit is only valid when performing what ever function the profesion demands.

[url]http://www.cableone.net/uziforme/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
alright all you iowa guys, we end up doing this time to time, so where in iowa you from???
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
IAJack: One of the election promises the new sheriff ran on was CCW shall-issue for qualified Polk County citizens. To get a CCW now you need a certificate of training, a clean record (same as for NICS check), and $11, no checks accepted.

todds92: If you want to get a CCW, you need a certificate from a qualified training program. The only one that I know of is
[url]http://www.nlsi.org[/url]
It's a 12 hour course and costs $95. Basic NRA Personnel Protection Course plus review of Iowa gun laws. Great bonus is a session on their FATS (firearm training simulation) machine. Realistic simulation scenarios shooting laser guns against bad guys. The guns are real handguns, a SIG P226 and a Glock 17, that have been converted to laser, with CO2 tanks attached to simulate noise and muzzle flip. Real enough to get your heart pumping.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I put hunting, fishing and target shooting, pretty much covers the bases. I was told however what was acceptable to put down for approval. Self defense was not going to cut it. So as long as I am going to, coming from or engaged in the above listed activities, I am covered to carry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]
When I got my Ia permit years ago I never took the class, just went in and tested. Recieved a 98% on the test without ever opening the book or sitting through the class!! Took me all of 10 min to test and then another 10 to shoot.

Back then the Marshall co sheriff was a kick arse guy and I had my permit within days.

The justifacation I used was travelling across the state and carying large sums of money. Also had self protection as a catch all (VBG)

Might make it back to Marshalltown around the 11-14th of Oct for a wedding, now if I can just scam some time to shot while there!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually there are a couple different alternatives to NLSI for training. Basically the Polk Co. Sheriff is accepting Certified NRA training. Steve and Renee Anderson are now doing it. I am also qualified to and there are a couple others floating around if you call the NRA and ask.

It is really kinda a joke that the course I originally took was just a basic saftey course all classromm with test only, so easy an child could have passed. We deffinatly need some standards to be set!!

Hineline, why don't you scan a pic of your ass and show that cause you always are anyway!!

Later

IAJAck

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#16]
IA Jack do your parents even like you?

You got some serious life related issues when your entire life seems to focus upon my activities.

I seem to have a personal board stalker.

I don't know if this will make you happy but I doubt it since I think your sexual preference must be driving your request for scanned images of my butt. Here is what the permit looks like for those who might never have seen one. I left all information except for my SS# which I did not feel any of you guys needed.

[img]http://www.cableone.net/uziforme/cert.jpg[/img]

IaJack perhaps the sheriff would be more inclined to trust you if you would leave the bottle at home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#17]
My advice:

Move to Texas. All you gotta do down here is take the class and fill out some paperwork. None of that kissing the local LEO asses is required. If you were his nephew, son, cousin, or just butt monkey you wouldn't have a problem. That sucks.

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Hinleline;

I think everyone on this board pretty well knows what an ass you are, and if they or newbies are unsure all they have to do is look up all your posts & replies, so I will leave it at that.

IAJack
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes IaJack I am such an asshole that when I saw MattSD was comming to a gun show in Sioux City, IA never having met him I took him and his friend out shooting machine guns. I know I know asking him to purchase his own ammo was a really asshole thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#20]
My understanding is Polk County has eased up considerably with the new sheriff.  Take the course and you're in.  I however, live in Story County and the sheriff here is extremely tight on handing them out.  The Iowa CCW law is a real mess.  Each sheriff sets his own standards and they are all across the board.  Some won't issue any, period.  Most require you to jump threw a lot of hoops.  A few hand them out for the asking.  In any event most are stamped with various restrictions, they are not (usually) a carry anywhere, anytime, for any reason permit.

And if you think the CCW issue is bad, try getting a permit to acquire in the People's Republic of Johnson County.  Need about eight forms of ID plus you get fingerprinted.

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Ameshawki:
I know of a doctor on staff at the U of I who applied for a purchase permit. The Johnson County sheriff's office notified the Dean of the Medical School of the application.

For those who live in more liberal places, Iowans must obtain an annual permit to purchase handguns from their county sheriff. It is supposed to be a shall-issue permit for anyone who can pass a NICS-type background check. CCW is entirely up to the county sheriff. The policy in a given county can change when a new sheriff is elected.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I once obtained a permit from the Webster County sheriff and listed "hunting, target shooting, and personal protection."  Taking a course on the law was required.  I'm glad I took it because I learned much of what a CCW permit holder needs to know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Sigshooter...I have been to NLSI, its a pretty nice place. The people are very friendly and the range is very nice and clean. They just got the indoor rifle range finished, but I havnt shot on it yet. I am overdo to get out there. I should do it this weekend. To all the Iowa posters, we should arrange a get together for a weekend shoot, maybe down to IaJacks place. sounds like he has a nice setup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn guys you seem to be all around me I live in Madrid. We need to get an annual shoot going. [sniper]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Seems like a lot of people from Iowa around here. Alot more that I thought!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one when I lived in Hardin County (Iowa Falls) back in the late 70's, early 80's. I put on the form that I sometimes carried large amounts of cash in not so good areas. I had my own business back then
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I was gonna go to the show, but wouldnt you know it, I ended up getting sick and couldnt go. I wanted to see what the prices were like now. I didnt plan on buying anything because most of the dealers want entirely to much money for stuff. I try to buy most of my stuff from people here on the board
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, there are quite a few of us Iowa boys in the forums.  Cool.  

I know in Woodbury Co., the Sheriff only approves LEOs and like people.  A deputy told me that one.  Supposedly, even the Sheriff's Reserve officers have a hard time "getting permission" to carry off duty.  Hopefull that will change, as I am in Sheriff's Reserve training now...

I grew up in Storm Lake, Buena Vista County, and it is the same thing.  The Sheriff is a control freak who does not like the 2nd Amendment.    

JRB
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I took the class in Woodbury county. I was the only non resident, anyone from Woodbury Co had come up with a profesional reason to carry. Some carried large amounts of cash or valuables. Some transported prescription drugs, one was a armored vehicle guard/driver.  Instructor told us of only one non profesional permit issued to a young female rape victim who had continuing threats to her safety from others in the rape gang. She was issued a permit which included special wording to allow here to carry even on local school property where she attended.  I know all FFL dealers can get it in Woodbury
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Redneck,

You may have fun getting one in Washington County I grew up there and know the sheriff and his thoughts on concealed carry, one reason I no longer live there.This is the guy that when a 9 yr old girl was abducted and murdered said on local news people should stay home and unload their guns that his county didn't need out of control rednecks carrying guns thats what the police were for. You'll need a good reason to get his signature and if you do it may be a restricted permit. He really doesn't like guns and can be paranoid about who has them.

Boomin
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Back again! just went down to the sheriff's office again (for the 5th time!) and he said he still hasn't had a chance to review my file yet. I'm gonna stay camped out on him until he gives me an answer either way, and then if it is no I would like to get a personal excuse as to why. I'm 30yrs old and my only run in with the law has been a speeding ticket some years ago. Talking with other people hear and around the state leaves me in a state of disbelief as to how much varience their is from county to county. I was in at NLSI last weekend and talked to a guy that said that Polk CO (I'm from Dallas CO, by the way)used to hand them out like TicTacs, but as of the last few months has really dried up, and is now unofficialy denying over 90% of all applicants. The people that have CCW in my county say that it is possible to get one, but the hunting purposes excuse doesn't wash and you actually have to show need for the weapon in your daily life. It is really good to hear from all of you Iowa boys and I agree with some of the other posters' suggestions to get together and run some pills through the guns!
Take Care-
Chopperdave
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Lets do it then, Lets have a fall shoot? I would be glad to host it at my local range, or if there is a more central or better one thats fine too.

Someone start the ball rolling and sound off to when is good?

Later
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I just moved to Iowa from Louisiana about a year and a half ago, and was disappointed to find out that the Sherrif Dept's here are, for the most part, run by a bunch of damn commies, and that you have to hunt deer here with a shotgun, bow, or muzzleloader.

I travel across the entire state from Dubuque to Sioux City, and all points in between, and guess what, I take my .45 with me where ever I go.

The other thing I noticed about Iowa...you guys have NOTHING to worry about, cept maybe if some crazy corn growing cracker gets a little nutty, but for the most part, there is NO CRIME here.

The first time I went back to New Orleans, I couldn't wait to get back to Iowa.  No crime, no traffic, no pollution, NOTHING but corn, pigs, and a NON diverse socioeconomic make up.

"is this heaven..."
"No, it's Iowa.

Sir Hacksalot
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
The law says that application must be made to the sheriff in the county of residence... What if I moved to a county where the sheriff would issue me a permit to carry and then moved to a different county? Would the permit still be valid? Would I be able to renew it in the issuing county or would I need to apply for renewal in the county of residence at the time of renewal?
A lot of questions that I could not find answers to in the Iowa code.
Steve
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I just emailed IA Jack, lets follow his lead and get a fall shoot together. I can make about any weekend work so I am at the mercy of the other members. Let's get something together soon-in the next few months if possible. Sound off out their and let everyone know where you're at and when we can meet!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I'll take a try at it?

Sat Oct 6 or Sat Oct 13?, Sound off as to what works best?

Iowa isn't that big of place and nowhere is really to far to go to have fun. I have driven alot further to do less!!

I live in Oskaloosa, 60mi. SE of Des Moines. it is a 45 min drive from there on the new 4 lane hwy 163. I am a member of the local Izzac Walton, it isn't huge, but pretty private and nice.Figured we could do a BYOB BBQ or whatever and bring all the toys

UNLESS someone has a better centrall local to everyone that would work also?

Post on here your thoughts

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Iajack- I just emailed you and then saw the post. Oct. 6th would work well for me-the wife will be outta town and It'll be a good weekend to get in trouble. Anyone else?...........
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Sir Hacksalot when in the Sioux City area if you wanna contact me and go out and shoot machine guns all I ask is that you bring some ammunition. .223,9mm,45,308 to link in a belt fed. Etc.

You can just e-mail me if this is something you are interested in.

[img]http://www.cableone.net/uziforme/darinbelt.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I lived in Johnson County, Sharon Center. It just seemed like Bureaucratic Prohibition of handguns. I still shot more out there than anywhere else I've lived. I still travel to Iowa county 3-4 times a year on business- if I make opening day of pheasant- it'll be 5 years running. It still amazes me to walk through parking lots and see keys in the ignitions of so many cars.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sir Hacksalot when in the Sioux City area if you wanna contact me and go out and shoot machine guns
View Quote

hacksalot, i highly recommend this.  [50]

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I put on my app. "Hunting, shooting sports, seld defense and all other lawfull purpouses in accordance to law." This is the best most well rounded response as to the "purpouse of need" line on the app.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#43]
There is a new thread started about organizing an Iowa shoot, check it out and respond!!

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Pott county was a piece of cake. Not bad for being part of the Omaha metro. :)
TAC
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#45]
If you are non-resident does it go through a county sheriff or some state official?  Non-FFL but drive across the state about once a month, half the time its middle of the night with $20-80K of computer or network equipment in the back seat. That kind of stuff qualify?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#46]
The reason I stated for needing CCW was that I go to auctions and carry a large amount of cash.  For what it is worth.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#47]
WOOHOO!!!!
I went into the sheriff's office this morning for the 7th time and Our local guy FINALLY signed off on me! gotta take the course on the 27th at NLSI and then I will be a card-carrying CCW! Guess you can count Dallas in on the list of counties that are gun friendly!

Chopperdave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top